ForumsNews and FeedbackReputation System Suggestion

344 96397
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Feel free to discuss ideas about the Reputation system, known to some users as the "karma system", although "reputation" is what we'll be calling it on AG3.

The Reputation System may not be present at AG3 launch, but is a high priority post-launch. It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

We're still open to ideas on it, so feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, and ask any questions.

• 344 Replies
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I think we should add A like and dislike comment button. So if a comment gets to many dislikes a mod can take it off depending on what it says and so on.

cormyn has said that phase 1 of the Reputation system will only have a like button to give Reputation. Also, the dislike button you're describing to me is more like a flag (like the button you see now) than a dislike button. Yes, I think there should be a flag, but a dislike will not be part of what cormyn calls phase 1.

And then if a person gets a lot of likes many times there name can come up blue saying (Trusted commenter) or (Top 10 commenter) (top 25) (top 50) (top 100) so on. This can help the &quotlayer" spot a good comment quick. and if a person gets a huge amount of dislikes the person may get the title (Untrusted commenter) and there name is in red.

I think a better way to show that would be by showing Reputation next to the username in each comment.
Bmaster123
Bmaster123
49 posts
Nomad

Nvm that sound much better

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Will we be able to see who gave us a "like" and when it's introduced a "dislike" as such?

Maybe. The other thing to consider is whether we adjust your post's Reputation gain (or loss) if your reputation with a voter changes. For example, if a complete stranger is worth 1 rep, and a friend is worth 0.25 rep, and I'm a stranger to you (mutually oblivious, not following each other, etc), and I vote up something you write, it's worth 1 rep. But later you and I become friends, so should that post's Reputation change now? If so, it would discourage people from becoming friends. Or maybe we leave it as-is, and only recalculate it if someone ELSE likes/dislikes it?

I think we should add A like and dislike comment button.

Uh, that's what this entire thread is about.

f a comment gets to many dislikes a mod can take it off depending on what it says and so on.

No, every message will have a 'flag as abuse' button, which is what makes us wonder if we even needed a dislike button.

there name can come up blue saying (Trusted commenter)

Doubt we'll do that.

I think a better way to show that would be by showing Reputation next to the username in each comment.

We've talked about having Reputation, AG Score, level/rank, whatever, show up in a tooltip pop-up whenever you hover over someone's armatar.

Another question might be whether we show how much Reputation a given comment has gained or not, and do we just show how many people liked it, or the exact score it was given based on the number of people, etc.?
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Maybe. The other thing to consider is whether we adjust your post's Reputation gain (or loss) if your reputation with a voter changes. For example, if a complete stranger is worth 1 rep, and a friend is worth 0.25 rep, and I'm a stranger to you (mutually oblivious, not following each other, etc), and I vote up something you write, it's worth 1 rep. But later you and I become friends, so should that post's Reputation change now? If so, it would discourage people from becoming friends. Or maybe we leave it as-is, and only recalculate it if someone ELSE likes/dislikes it?

I understand friends reputation being less simply because we'll what our friends say a lot more, but i don't think that point before friendship should be recalculated.

No, every message will have a 'flag as abuse' button, which is what makes us wonder if we even needed a dislike button.

Would a dislike button be more work for you? Having to check things that have been flagged and then the reputation validity? I don't think a dislike button would be necessary - i can see it being used to bring down peoples reputation n the forums when an opinion different to yours is stated.

We've talked about having Reputation, AG Score, level/rank, whatever, show up in a tooltip pop-up whenever you hover over someone's armatar

This sounds really good, it'd be a nice, easy way of displaying it all together.

Another question might be whether we show how much Reputation a given comment has gained or not, and do we just show how many people liked it, or the exact score it was given based on the number of people, etc.?

I think it'd be nice to be able to see what comments have gained votes i guess. Even if you don't implement this, will the user be able to see it? For example if three people 'liked' whatever i wrote, would i know 3 people liked it?
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

i don't think that point before friendship should be recalculated.

My thinking is that it would open it up for abuse. We could cancel our friendship, vote up everything on the site, then be friends again so we can see what we're doing on the site. Meanwhile, we just spam-rated each other's Reputation through the ceiling...

Would a dislike button be more work for you?

Ideally, we'd have all 3 buttons. Flag, up and down. Flag it as abuse, or vote it down if you just disagree or don't like the person's thought.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I like my idea of "before they are friends, add reputation in the standard calculation; during and afterwards, add reputation in the fixed calculation". Unless someone else already thought of that.

I like just having the total number of people liked, disliked, and the average score listed on the comment. The total reputation a user has can then be posted on the profile (and in the pop-up you mentioned).
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Ideally, we'd have all 3 buttons. Flag, up and down. Flag it as abuse, or vote it down if you just disagree or don't like the person's thought.

So you'd get negative reputation for just having a different opinion than someone? I don't think that's fair - mainly when you consider the religion threads that are present in the forums, every Christian could give negative reputation to the Atheists and vice versa. & you could have trolls just disliking every comment in sight.
Bmaster123
Bmaster123
49 posts
Nomad

[quote]So you'd get negative reputation for just having a different opinion than someone? I don't think that's fair - mainly when you consider the religion threads that are present in the forums, every Christian could give negative reputation to the Atheists and vice versa. & you could have trolls just disliking every comment in sight.

This is true... how about you do not get points on threads only on games and such? [b]But there will still be a up or down on the threads just no getting points on it?

Dylski11
Dylski11
37 posts
Nomad

It all depends on the positives and negatives of the system.
I think the karma should be based on comments and forum posts.
Yes if you comment on a game and someone doesnt like it they might take some karma off you.
But they can also like which leaves it neutral.

Also i think there should be a forums post count or comment count before someone can give and take karma away. Like 60 forums posts for example. It would stop some users that will just come on and take users karma away because they find it amusing.

Also only 1 positive or negative karma can be given for each comment from each person. So if a person comments and another user likes the comment or opinion. They +1 to him. But cant do it again on that same comment.

That what i think should happen with the karma system roughly.
Feel free to criticize, i will happily take your opinions in.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

So you'd get negative reputation for just having a different opinion than someone? I don't think that's fair

Which was my exact argument several pages ago, explaining why we're holding off on the dislike button for a while.

I think the karma should be based on comments and forum posts.

Folks, we've already said what Reputation will be given for, or not. We're not looking for suggestions on what else to include/exclude in the score.

Also only 1 positive or negative karma can be given for each comment from each person

Well, yeah, obviously. I can't imagine any reason to allow someone to keep voting on one comment.

The other idea I had was a cascading reputation point.

I leave a thought-provoking status update, and someone leaves a comment which is equally thought-provoking. Someone comes along and +1's both my comment and the reply. Should the +1 on the reply trickle up some fraction of Reputation to me because my original comment allowed for better conversation?
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I leave a thought-provoking status update, and someone leaves a comment which is equally thought-provoking. Someone comes along and +1's both my comment and the reply. Should the +1 on the reply trickle up some fraction of Reputation to me because my original comment allowed for better conversation?

I think the +1 on your comment should be the only rep gain. Although the comment allowed the other user to post a comment, it should be theirs solely.
Bmaster123
Bmaster123
49 posts
Nomad

What are you going to get if you have a high rep?

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

What are you going to get if you have a high rep?

Just that - a good reputation.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Correct, your Reputation level will just be something you can brag about. It won't award anything else. We *may* use that Reputation level to unlock things on the site, like creating a group/clan page, or something.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Perhaps this is a repeated idea, but looking through 17 pages of posts is beyond me at the moment. However a reputation system strikes me as the kind of thing that would determine my credibility of the user at a first glance. Perhaps there could be a specific or special implementation of this system in the WEPR to signify users who consistently debate with not only intelligence and proof but respect for their fellows?

Showing 151-165 of 344