ForumsThe TavernGeneral Relationship Thread

2106 506803
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I've noticed the increase in threads being made about problems with relationships and dating. Now, I have no problem with the subject matter. No, my problem is with the amount of threads people are creating about it.

Judging by all these threads being made about the same thing, it's safe to say it's inevitable for these questions to be asked; and since the answers to these relationship/dating questions are generally very similar, putting all the questions in one thread saves time and posting.

No, this is not a thread where you specifically ask me for advice; I don't know very much about this subject. I'm simply the guy who has created the thread so you can post your questions for anybody to answer.

So if you have a question about dating or relationships, or anything along those lines, ask it here, wait for someone to reply here, and don't make a new thread about it!

• 2,106 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Be the settler/person being chased, and not the reverse. This allows you to be the power holder in the relationship, as crude and ungentlemanly as it seems

Nicho, how do you initiate a conversation with somebody and then portray yourself as the chasee? :P Those kind of guys usually hang around bars looking vaguely disinterested in everything and waiting for somebody to catch a whiff of their overpoweringly ****** musk or something hahahaha.

Also I could never do it like that because I would feel like a ******bag. However I think Nicho's general point within there is that you can't look desperate or that you're acting in a contrived fashion on an agenda, which I completely agree with. How you find your "natural cool" (or "natural dork" as it is in my case) is more to do with you discovering yourself as a person and that's probably the most instrumental thing to discovering people you really like.

As for how I convey "I don't really care what people think and do my own thing therefore I am cool and attractive", I have now been told by several people that my array of brightly coloured pink shirts and ties has a lot to do with it, but, you know, it takes a real man to pull that off :P
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Nicho, how do you initiate a conversation with somebody and then portray yourself as the chasee? :P Those kind of guys usually hang around bars looking vaguely disinterested in everything and waiting for somebody to catch a whiff of their overpoweringly ****** musk or something hahahaha.

You initiate, but don't act like you want her as more than a friend, but drop tantalizing hints :P You can't be the chasee straightaway, but you can after you know her a while. At the very least, don't appear ''In-Your-Face".

That is what I am going to do. But the earliest I can see her is over her spring break which is not for another week.

Will that pose a problem?
Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

For those of you who have a significant other, I have an odd but possibly stimulating question for all of you.

If one day, for whatever reason, your significant other had magically morphed into someone of the opposite gender, but was still the same person on the inside, would you still feel the same way about them?

Be honest now, don't lie to yourselves!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

but don't act like you want her as more than a friend, but drop tantalizing hints

That only works if your prospective partner is actually interested. I suppose in the context of meeting random people with no other information you do have to play your cards close to your chest at first.

This is why I don't like playing these games. I prefer to cut straight to the chase of stripping people down to their core motivations. Because it's there that I think the strongest relationships and friendships (for me) lie, if I can identify with those motivations or at least understand a person by them, and really what I want the most is for people to understand what I'm about. Well, that works really well for me anyway.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

If one day, for whatever reason, your significant other had magically morphed into someone of the opposite gender, but was still the same person on the inside, would you still feel the same way about them?

No. I'm a biological unit after all, and my other head still thinks independently too.

That only works if your prospective partner is actually interested. I suppose in the context of meeting random people with no other information you do have to play your cards close to your chest at first.

Up to you to step up your game and charm then. XD
Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

That would be pretty awkward. In this case, two heads would not be better than one.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I was going to chide skulltivator for that terrible double entendre, then I realised that Nicho was responsible for it.

Oh, Nicho.

That requires consideration of a few contingencies. If it were someone of the opposite gender, that would mean changed body, but does that also mean scent, behaviour, feelings... etc.

People are a package deal, at least I'm pretty wholistic about it so if somebody I knew changed then obviously so too would my feelings about them. And in this particular case yes that would put a real spoke in the wheel when it came to sex, though maybe my bisexual friends might offer you a different opinion.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I was going to chide skulltivator for that terrible double entendre, then I realised that Nicho was responsible for it.

Oh, Nicho.

Oh Strop.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Will that pose a problem?

As long as I get a chance to see her.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Worse come to worse, just text her, though that's just....I dk.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I plan to use a British accent the next time I introduce myself to an attractive female.

And what happens if you 2 really hit it off? Just continue with it for as long as the relationship lasts? haha
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Worse come to worse, just text her, though that's just....I dk.

Texting her would be my last resort. If I do not see her I will try calling her and asking her over the phone. If I cannot get a good time to call her then I will text her.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Then later on she'll be like "what happened to your accent?" and I can say "I was faking it because I like British accents" and she'll say "aw that's too bad, I loved it because you sounded like One Direction" and then I punch her in the head.

This made me lol. But don't punch her in the head. To Violence Against Women, Australia Says No.

Funny thing actually. My girlfriend was born in China but grew up mostly in London. So naturally, she has a British accent... And I went to a private high school in Australia, which gave me a British accent, at least, close enough so that if I ever run into any Americans, they assume I'm from England.
Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

Here's dating advice from a 20-year-old guy with a long history of failed relationships: Use a British accent.

Funny you should mention that, actually. Just this summer I was walking down a public beach, cruising for females (I was a loser with nothing to lose). To any American, I have a pretty convincing Australian accent. Had I actually talked to any females on that beach, which I had planned to but never did, I would have used that accent on them and most likely claimed to have been from Melbourne (I practiced that one all down the beach).

I was on vacation for a week. I wasn't looking for anything long-term.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

If she'll only have sex with you because of false claims about your nationality, it's rape by fraud. Just a fun fact to throw out there.

Anyway, I was going to provide commentary on the gender swapped partner, but let's focus on the important thing: Strop has a girlfriend?!??!?!!?

Showing 1771-1785 of 2106