The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernPirating software

30 4632
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I know plenty of people who download software from websites for free. What they don't seem to see is that stealing software from a website is no different from stealing from an item from a store. Stealing is stealing. Some of them do it because they don't want to pay, some of them do it and say if they like it they will buy it later(they never buy it). So i ask you AG, what is your opinion on pirating software?

• 30 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

@Frank

I have downloaded nintendo 64 games onto an emulator for two reasons

1. Like you said, they aren't making money off them anymore

2. Because I already own them on the 64 and don't feel obligated to buy them on a different system

As for software, I agree. A lot of them are produced by third party corporations or independent artists. The only software I don't feel bad after downloading is anything with Microsoft.

I don't see the difference between third party companies and microsoft. I'm kind of angry that i need to buy apples pointless updated to OSX (snow leopard) but I'm not going to pirate it.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

I don't see the difference between third party companies and microsoft. I'm kind of angry that i need to buy apples pointless updated to OSX (snow leopard) but I'm not going to pirate it.

The "difference" is that Microsoft does all of the software for money. Thus making cheap and frustrating freezing software that really pisses me off. I'm not saying all third party software are good, but most of them are made with more efforts.
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Against national and international laws.

Nothing international, Sweden allows it!
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

The "difference" is that Microsoft does all of the software for money. Thus making cheap and frustrating freezing software that really pisses me off. I'm not saying all third party software are good, but most of them are made with more efforts.

Not going to argue with that, aside from their OS, microsoft software is pretty low end.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Not going to argue with that, aside from their OS, microsoft software is pretty low end.

Sorry, I should really say some of their software is low end. They make plenty of good software.
DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

If it's way to expensive than yeah I will download it for free. I'm on a budget. I have no problem downloading Microsoft software for free.

DustyLee
DustyLee
216 posts
Nomad

Wel idk if anyone has ever torrented. but i think people do it because they can get any song, video game, movie, or software they want for free and in a few minutes.

celestialenigma
celestialenigma
11 posts
Peasant

I used to download everything I wanted. But I came to realize that it is indeed stealing. I got rid of everything I had that I didn't purchase. Even if they big corporations don't need my money, that isn't the point. And besides, what about the family video store/computer shop that bought that product to sell. They would be out money.

And often there are free versions of most programs (like Photoshop). Or you can wait for them to be discounted (like games for instance).

If people really wanted to "stick it to the man", they'd use the free programs, donate to them or simply not use the more expensive ones.

It is hard sometimes to not pirate software or music, especially since almost everybody does it. But not as bad as I thought. If I don't have a game to play, instead of pirating another to take the old one's place I go for a walk or play with my kids. Frees up time.

WorstSniper
WorstSniper
1,467 posts
Nomad

I pirated a game once, I knew what I was doing though. I know pirating is usually illegal and considered stealing, but I just really wanted that game but I couldn't get it. I haven't pirated any other games though.

indie55
indie55
608 posts
Nomad

I have no problem downloading Microsoft software for free.

It's hard not to get any Microsoft software at a very discounted price. Microsoft gives discounts off of it for almost any reason.
Drink
Drink
1,621 posts
Blacksmith

i rarely download stuff for free i usually only do it when i cant find a copy of what im looking for or its old/rare and buying it would cost over 100$ even if its a simple game and i dont see anything wrong with it whatever u can download for free when you usually have to pay is the companys fault for not finding a way to protect it from that stuff

RugRat
RugRat
340 posts
Nomad

Theft of an item from a store is not the same as pirating(why do we even call it pirating?), it is copyright infringement. When you steal something, you remove the original, with piracy a copy is made, so do not label it as Theft.
Now, piracy is still kind of dickish, because even though you aren't taking a physical item, you are still taking someone's hardwork and time. That is the only real argument I can think of against piracy atm, without going into the bull**** that is "Potential sales" and I will admit that I do it from time to time.

I don't know where to go from here...............inventing filler

MOAR Negatives of Piracy:
- DRM that hurts consumers more than pirates! (WHY DO I NEED TO HAVE THE CD OF A GAME THAT IS ALREADY ON MY HARDDRIVE?)
Remember reliconline and CoH GOTY cd's not being read? No? Well I DO!

- Publishers think a game downloaded is a lost sale, which brings us back to ****ty drm.

There are bound to be more negatives, but I'm too lazy to think some up or use the power of le google.

Positives:

-Spreading the word!
Ey yo dawg, I was playing/using/listening to this/this thing the other day and you gotz to try it sometime. Friend may or may not check the product and may or may not buy it.

- Increasing your audience.
Not every musician or developer cares about the monies. Some would rather you experience what they made and hope that it brought out powerful emotions out of you. While arguably not a strong positive, it's still worth mentioning.

DO YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I AM DEPRIVED OF MY WOW?! I MAKE **** LIKE THIS.

skullzero7
skullzero7
32 posts
Nomad

The companies make it too easy, thats why people pirate **** and they dont want/cant pay the exspensive price for a game that will be played once for a few hours.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Theft of an item from a store is not the same as pirating(why do we even call it pirating?), it is copyright infringement. When you steal something, you remove the original, with piracy a copy is made, so do not label it as Theft.

Too bad it is the same as larceny, RugRat.

That is the only real argument I can think of against piracy atm, without going into the bull**** that is "Potential sales" and I will admit that I do it from time to time.

It is simple, RugRat. There is a game for $60 that just came out. Let's say it's the grand-spanking-new Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. You don't wish to pay for it, so you wait until there is a way to torrent the game online. For free. By torrenting Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you are denying Bethesda of the $60 it deserves. Here's the *surprise* analogy. Torrenting the game::Taking the game off its shelf. You both end up with the game without paying for it, you both deny the company and the store of its profits. You stole. It's larceny.

-Spreading the word!
Ey yo dawg, I was playing/using/listening to this/this thing the other day and you gotz to try it sometime. Friend may or may not check the product and may or may not buy it.

You can also buy the product and then recommend your friend to buy the product. If you torrent the product, you are more than likely to tell your friend to torrent the product, which means more lost sales for both company and store. "It's okay if you don't have the money--see, here's the torrent website. Go here and download the game straight to your computer!"

- Increasing your audience.
Not every musician or developer cares about the monies. Some would rather you experience what they made and hope that it brought out powerful emotions out of you. While arguably not a strong positive, it's still worth mentioning.

Not in the least. If I'm working to put my products out on the market, I expect payment in return. I don't need to be an economist to tell you that. Musicians? Even more so! Their pay is lousy and inconsistent. I would expect payment even more if I was struggling in life. Taking products for free just slows the process down.

DO YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I AM DEPRIVED OF MY WOW?! I MAKE **** LIKE THIS.

I see you making some, but I wouldn't call it good.
Showing 16-29 of 30