ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162660
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
GUMMBAAH
GUMMBAAH
43 posts
Nomad

i agree with the most of you guys and like commanderdude7 i also visit sites like kongregate because i love the chatrooms .so i hope you guys can put it in AG3 !

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I know cormyn has said no to it, but reading GoMs posts i can't help but bring it up again (Don't kill me Cormyn)

If i remember correctly the last discussion i read on chat Mods, one of the reasons the site was against them was because Moderators didn't want to give normal users more power thus creating a rift between the different types of users, i guess. Something along those lines.

However, once the reputation system is in place and users show themselves responsible, will it ever be considered?

There's a difference between chat mods and normal moderators.
(On most chat sites you have mods (Unpaid) and Admins (Paid), just like AG. However the Mods on this site take care of what admins take care off on most chat sites, and the admins here take care off what superusers do on chat sites.

My thought on this is there is an age limit on Moderators here, and this could be a way into the ranks for users Admins have considered for Mod but aren't old enough yet?

SierraCastaway
SierraCastaway
130 posts
Nomad

Is there going to be friend chats? Where you just click on the name of your friend if they are online, and you send them a message (personal friend chats like on GaiaOnline.com?)

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Is there going to be friend chats? Where you just click on the name of your friend if they are online, and you send them a message

There's going to be personal messaging rather than one to one private chats i believe. Like an inbox.
bioman250
bioman250
5 posts
Scribe

if there is chat i find if i play a good long game mostly hard ones that chat eats up bandwidth there should be a switch off chat button

TheNameWithNoNumbers
TheNameWithNoNumbers
163 posts
Nomad

Chat, well, AG could use a PM messaging system, and a better forum... But a chat?
Chats for sites this big usually end up messing up everything. Plus, it invites trolls, plus people spamming the chat. But... if we moderate it well, possibly it'd be good.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Chats for sites this big usually end up messing up everything. Plus, it invites trolls, plus people spamming the chat.

Kongregate begs to differ, there are over five million accounts on that website, and a lot of people use the chats. Granted, they have chat moderators so the thing doesn't turn into hell.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

if we moderate it well, possibly it'd be good.

I have gotten away with quite a bit of stuff when there were no moderators online. imagine what kind of hell would break loose if there was nobody online to moderate the entire chat.

there are over five million accounts on that website

youd think there would be at least one intelligent person in there somewhere.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I have gotten away with quite a bit of stuff when there were no moderators online. imagine what kind of hell would break loose if there was nobody online to moderate the entire chat.

Well so far from what i've read is that mods/admins are relying on people to flag something just like we do on comments, but as you're saying, if a mod isn't online to "kick" the person out of the chat, or whatever rules are going to apply there, then the damage will be too late by the time someone has logged on.

Another issue i have, is that due to there hopefully being more than one chat room, it will make moderation for each room even more difficult. People flagging things will surely help grab the moderators attention, although there is also the risk of people flagging things that they don't agree with, which will consume the moderators time filtering through.
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

there should be like a vote to kick someone out button, in case no mods or admins are there to fix the problem.... when lets say, 50 people hit the button, that person whos spamming or trolling will be banned from that chat room for the rest of the day... if it happens again, that spammer cannot go into any chat room.... good idea?

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

King, it is a good idea yes. My only concern with something like that is the same concern i have if a dislike button is introduced to the reputation system - couldn't there be a case of e-bullying? Where someone gets people to gang up on a person they don't like just to get them kicked out of a room?

Now my negative spin would see moderators look at why they were banned and reinstate them, sure, but for the time when mods are online it would be a problem.

kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

but it would have to be a popular vote.... one person wouldn't be able to bann them,they would need at least 50 or 75 people....

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Yeah, but by that stage the person could have happily spammed for hours?

Warriorfrombeyond
Warriorfrombeyond
231 posts
Nomad

if the person just wanted to be annoying, he would create a different account. so you need a internet ban (IP ban?forget) or have a thing that if they get kicked you cant create a different account for 24 hours????

kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

well, if someone makes an account after a perma bann.... then their code for armorgames at their house or wherever they are, is shut down

Showing 136-150 of 504