ForumsThe TavernWhich Antivirus system is better?

58 7982
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

My friend's family computer got a Trojan and was forced to wipe the entire drive. When they rebooted and everything it turned out that there was still a Trojan on the computer. He is still using the same antivirus system, McAfee. Personally, though, i use the free 2011 edition AVG and it works great.

Since the computer was mostly my friend's dad he didn't want me or himself to try and download AVG as it might interfere with McAfee.

Should I tell him to ditch McAfee for AVG free or what?

• 58 Replies
metalwill
metalwill
147 posts
Shepherd

Comodo, Avast, and AVG all offer free anti-virus software that is better than the common paid ones (McAfee, Norton, etc).

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

Eh, I use Avira Anti-Virus.

I dunno, it's just the one I've always used, and it hasn't failed me yet. :P

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

Well, are you saying that the trojan never was removed by McAfee? Also if the trojan itself is a vundo then attempt to take whatever personal and important data you have and salvage it. Then I recommend the following solution:
1. Put the computer in your yard
2. Get a shotgun
3. Put the computer out of its misery

To be honest, if McAfee can't get rid of something then AVG free might not be able to either. Maybe Malware Bytes would be a good option? As far as I know it doesn't interfere with any anti-virus program, so it would be worth a shot no matter what. Plus it is a good rule of thumb to have an Antivirus AND a program like Malware Bytes, well in my experience at least.

metalwill
metalwill
147 posts
Shepherd

To be honest, if McAfee can't get rid of something then AVG free might not be able to either. Maybe Malware Bytes would be a good option? As far as I know it doesn't interfere with any anti-virus program, so it would be worth a shot no matter what. Plus it is a good rule of thumb to have an Antivirus AND a program like Malware Bytes, well in my experience at least.

McAfee is total crap and can't do anything. The three I mentioned are miles ahead of McAfee. There was plenty of stuff on my computer that Norton overlooked and I used Avast and it cleared everything up.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

McAfee is total crap and can't do anything

I have been using mcafee for years, it hasn't let anything by that it is supposed to stop.

On topic:
Its possible that what was on the computer was not really a virus but malware, for that I would recommend MalwareBytes. And keeping mcafee of course.
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

To be honest, if McAfee can't get rid of something then AVG free might not be able to either.

Well, here was another situation. So we found the Trojan and it was called susp _irp _mj create. Apparently it was called a TDSS, so we googled it. They said on a forum to download a free scan from Kaspersky so we did. The whole scan found not a single problem.

Offnote: on the same forum we found to use the Kaspersky scan, the guy said he too had used McAfee and his virus report was EXACTLY the same as yours. 51 issues and 1 undeleted virus.

Maybe indeed McAfee is stupid (like I'm trying to get his dad to realize) and thinks system files are dangerous. IDK

cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

Oops forgot to quote above comment, srry.

Its possible that what was on the computer was not really a virus but malware, for that I would recommend MalwareBytes. And keeping mcafee of course.

The same forum i was talking about above the guy used the scan and it didn't work or didn't find anything. (I cant remember whether he specified or not?)
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Well, here was another situation. So we found the Trojan and it was called susp _irp _mj create. Apparently it was called a TDSS, so we googled it. They said on a forum to download a free scan from Kaspersky so we did. The whole scan found not a single problem.

What I found was that such files are possibly the result of malware, which requires something like malwarebytes to remove. It also requires a repair CD to replace infected files.

Maybe indeed McAfee is stupid (like I'm trying to get his dad to realize) and thinks system files are dangerous. IDK

Mcafee is not stupid, it is finding the leftovers of malware, which is not what it is built to remove.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

The same forum i was talking about above the guy used the scan and it didn't work or didn't find anything. (I cant remember whether he specified or not?)

Could you link that forum? I can't find one mentioning Malwarebytes being used.
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

Could you link that forum? I can't find one mentioning Malwarebytes being used.

No problem, luckily I was able to find it again.
[url=https://community.mcafee.com/message/119650]
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I use Avast myself, it's free and does a pretty decent job. I never liked Mcafee. I've even had Mcafee behave like a virus in my computers messing with the way programs operate. I've seen it detect but not be able to get rid of a virus many times, where other program could.

I hear AVG is pretty good as well. Norton often misses stuff in scans.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Norton often misses stuff in scans.

I've never liked Norton, and I hate how it's installed onto your computer when you purchase one. For me, Norton slowed down my laptop, it missed things the scan, and it was a pain in the *** to remove.

I use AVG, it's free and does a great job at keeping your computer safe. The only other anti-virus that I've ever used besides AVG and Norton is Trend Micro, and I got that for free when I bought my laptop. It kind of worked better than the free anti-viruses because you had to pay for it and it came with more security options.
Sheppard007
Sheppard007
237 posts
Nomad

My computer also got a Trojan and that screwed up everything. After that we started to use AVG which runs periodic scans and I have never seen a virus on my computer ever again.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I use Panda Antivirus. Personally, I find it quite good, it doesn't cause problems and it usually detects the viruses.
I also have Norton, but I don't use it. It simply was installed when I bought my computer.

Showing 1-15 of 58