ForumsWEPRHomosexuality

3228 467947
XeroGeez
XeroGeez
90 posts
Nomad

Apperently it's a big hot topic right now, so I want to know how gamers feel about it?

• 3,228 Replies
kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad

I also believe homosexuality is a sin.

And that's essentially the reason some people deny us civil rights. Because we are doing something wrong. Personally, I couldn't care less if the religious think it's wrong. My problem is making laws based off of "the bible says this or the koran says that." Hate or tolerate, who cares, just don't try to control peoples behavior with some religious text.

I really hate when people say "sin" like I'm doing something wrong by merely existing. But the rest of your post is refreshing. I wish more religious people would think that way.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

And that's essentially the reason some people deny us civil rights. Because we are doing something wrong. Personally, I couldn't care less if the religious think it's wrong. My problem is making laws based off of "the bible says this or the koran says that." Hate or tolerate, who cares, just don't try to control peoples behavior with some religious text.
So basically, secularization plz. *hopes it's the right English word* Couldn't agree more.

And yeah. Kudos to those views, KirZZ10.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Why can't we make laws respecting what we believe? Sorry, but thats what laws are.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Why can't we make laws respecting what we believe? Sorry, but thats what laws are.

Yeah, but in America laws aren't supposed to be made for religious reasons. If homosexuality was wrong for any reason other than 'god says' then you're aguement might have some basis in reality.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

If homosexuality was wrong for any reason other than 'god says' then you're aguement might have some basis in reality.

Well, people have tried "it's not natural," even though animals often engage in homosexual behavior as well.

There's also "It would undermine the sanctity of my own marriage," which is basically recycled from when interracial marriage wasn't allowed.

I can't think of anything else as an argument against homosexuality though.
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Yeah, but in America laws aren't supposed to be made for religious reasons. If homosexuality was wrong for any reason other than 'god says' then you're aguement might have some basis in reality.

Exactly, why do you think religious symbols are banned from state buildings?

One of the principles America was founded on were personal freedoms. Secular government is also one of the main principles. Not all Americans are christians. Just because a religious group belives in something that laws should be made affecting everyone in accordance with those beliefs. If you truly belive that, then you are no better than the Taliban.
Legatus88
Legatus88
451 posts
Peasant

Homosexuality doesn't bother or disturb me. I don't really even consider it an issue. Just let people be who they are and we can all move on.

Talo
Talo
945 posts
Nomad

many people confuse the "Separate state from religion" argument with everything related. Most of the US government is strongly xian.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

No, laws are in place to prevent everything from being anarchy. Laws may be based on moral values that stem from religious views, but politics should not be steered by religion.

Secular government is also one of the main principles.
It makes this discussion so much more interesting for me that I have finally learned what secularization means.

many people confuse the "Separate state from religion" argument with everything related. Most of the US government is strongly xian.
Can I please get you to stop writing 'xian' and actually type the whole word? Xian is a city in China.
Even though the individuals in charge of things believe in a certain religion, that does not mean they should have the rights to enforce the views of their religion onto others who do not believe in the same things. They may base their political viewpoints on religious values, but they should not make laws based on "facts" from the bible. There's a difference between religious morals and religious laws... And if a country allows a large diversity in religions (including those who do not claim to have a religion) it should not have laws based on what one or two specififc religions say.

I hope I didn't screw up with my choice of words in this post...
Talo
Talo
945 posts
Nomad

Knowledge: Xian

Can I please get you to stop writing 'Xian' and actually type the whole word?

Only when people stop abbreviating words, especially Xmas.

There are many countries were there is a national religion. The laws of the country are made to correlate with the rules of the religion. Those who are not practicing the national religion are not persecuted, but must follow the laws of their religion.
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Britian has an official religion, the church of england, and yet no lawsare made in accordance with it. Britian is in fact very diverse. There doesnt need to be conflict between religious and state law.

Talo
Talo
945 posts
Nomad

I didn't mean all, I mean some... Afghanistan is like that. They have Buddhist who are not allowed to eat during Ramadan, even though it's not their religion.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I see what you mean. I find it funny how so many anti gay people are anti islam and yet are so similar to people like the taliban.

Talo
Talo
945 posts
Nomad

Yet almost all men in Afghanistan have sex with young boys.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Knowledge: Xian
I dislike it just as much as xmas. Was just a friendly request, if you really prefer to type it like that, well. Your choice. You're probably not gonna get anyone to stop typing 'xmas' by using it, though...
And it's still a city in China.

There are many countries were there is a national religion. The laws of the country are made to correlate with the rules of the religion. Those who are not practicing the national religion are not persecuted, but must follow the laws of their religion.
Those countries who are not secularized. I think of secularization as a good thing, and I'm pretty sure America (which for some reason seem to be what we are mainly discussing, with other countries brought up only as comparatives) claims to be secularized. Which is why biblical quotes should not be used as base for any oppressing laws.
Denmark has a national religion, and there's at least one big political party which runs on religious (Christian) values. We're not completely secularized, but but the religious views aren't controlling the government either. Unlike, for instance, some Islamic countries (like you mentioned Afghanistan).
Showing 2956-2970 of 3228