The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernA Robot Apocalypse

37 3614
VisionsGaming
VisionsGaming
66 posts
Nomad

Is it possible and if it is when would it most likely happen?

• 37 Replies
VisionsGaming
VisionsGaming
66 posts
Nomad

i think it is possible.

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

Nah i doubt it remeber y2k it was predicted robots would rise againest (termanitor refrence perhaps?) and did it happen. NO!

VisionsGaming
VisionsGaming
66 posts
Nomad

true but robots are becoming more for human use.

VisionsGaming
VisionsGaming
66 posts
Nomad

For example, Medical and Factory reasons

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

You mean a Matrix/Terminator style robot revolution resulting in the demise of mankind? That's not possible right now because we don't have advanced enough AI to make robots capable of doing anything but the simplest tasks. In the future, maybe it would be possible, but the only way I see that happening would be if some madman programmed them to hurt humans.

Possible scenario:

Countries start using robots to fight wars. Then, a terrorist organisation or maybe a cruel dictator of an oppressed country develops a virus causing these robots to believe humans are there enemies too.

I don't think they'd ever turn hostile due to a random bug, because an AI would only be able to follow their programming, and if a bug would happen, it would be much more likely that it made the robot just crash instead. Unless, of course, someone made a huge mistake with the code in the first place.

Still, with humanity's creativity I'm sure we'd develop some neat anti-robot weapons soon enough. EMPs and stuff.

Anyways, personally, I don't think it will ever happen. I'm sure humanity will get to the point where they would be able to create such an apocalypse, but by then they would also know how to prevent it.

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

True but if there programmed to do a task then thats what they will do they will never go outside of there programming unless instructed by a human. And its not like we have the technology to make them self aware (not yet anyways)or make robots have feelings of any kind so i dont for see a robot apocalypse happening any time soon.

VisionsGaming
VisionsGaming
66 posts
Nomad

Yea thats what i mean but in the future its very posssible because look at how much technology changed from the 1960s to now. Well imagine around 50 years from now.

VisionsGaming
VisionsGaming
66 posts
Nomad

I see one happening in around 100 years.

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

Hence thats why i said

so i dont for see a robot apocalypse happening any time soon.
VisionsGaming
VisionsGaming
66 posts
Nomad

I know i never said there would be one soon.

bunniecorps
bunniecorps
467 posts
Nomad

The robot apocolypse is possible, but I don't think it would occur. As for time, it would be when AI starts building and expanding on itself.

VisionsGaming
VisionsGaming
66 posts
Nomad

exactly

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

The robot apocolypse is possible, but I don't think it would occur. As for time, it would be when AI starts building and expanding on itself.

We would first have to give it reasoning (so it would know of a reason for building/expanding on its self) we would then need to make specialized AI for this job of "building/expanding on it self" and even then we would have to give the robots a command to do this because at our current level of technology robots would not know how to do so themselves.
VisionsGaming
VisionsGaming
66 posts
Nomad

Well our technology is becoming better and better in a short period of time.

ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

Of cousre! Im just explaing where we have to get technology wise for robots to be able to expand by themselves.

Showing 1-15 of 37