ForumsThe TavernSleeping problems

61 9668
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I've been having sleeping problems recently. I just can't fall asleep at night, even when I'm tired it's hard to fall asleep. I've tried several things to get to sleep, which includes taking sleeping pills and doing a lot of activities throughout the day to get me tired, but nothing's working. And since two days ago I've been having this pain on the left side of my left knee. But that's only when I'm standing up and walking around, I don't think that could affect my sleeping habits much. Any advise on what I could do to get to sleep?
Like right now, I've been trying to go to sleep for the past four hours, but I can't. I just lie there. I've been up for about twenty-four hours now too.

• 61 Replies
brp47
brp47
580 posts
Peasant

1. Make your bedroom a haven for sleep. Your room should be quiet and sufficiently dark, because darkness prompts the pineal gland to produce melatonin, the hormone that regulates circadian rhythms (your 24-hour body clock). Heavy drapes can help keep the light out, and a fan or white-noise machine can help drown out any annoying sounds. Cool temperatures help you sleep, so set your thermostat appropriately. For better air circulation, open a window or use a fan. If the air in the room is too dry, buy a humidifier.

2. Become a creature of habit. A nighttime routine can be very effective in letting your body know when itâs time to sleep. Go through whatever rituals help you get mentally prepared for sleep. (Read a few pages of your novel, spend 5 to 10 minutes on personal grooming, meditate, stretch.) Itâs also critical to go to bed and get up at the same time every day â" even on weekends.
3. Reserve your bed just for sleeping and sex. Avoid working, paying bills, reading, or watching television in bed. If you associate your bed only with sleep, youâll be more likely to fall asleep when you get under the covers for the night.

4. Tame your tummy. Going to bed either hungry or too full can disrupt your sleep. Donât have a big meal too close to bedtime or the digestion process might keep you awake. Also, if you lie down after stuffing yourself you can end up with gastric reflux â" stomach acid backing up into the esophagus. If youâre hungry, have a snack rich in carbohydrates, which trigger the release of the brain chemical serotonin, associated with relaxation. Try a graham cracker or bowl of cereal. Pair it with some milk or a slice of turkey, both rich in the amino acid tryptophan, which also induces sleep.

5. Watch the caffeine. Too much caffeine throughout the day, even if itâs not consumed right before bedtime, can contribute to fitful slumber. Once you hit 50, your metabolism slows, so caffeine may stay in your system longer â" up to 10 hours. Limit yourself to two cups of tea, coffee, or cola, taken at least 6 hours before bedtime. If that doesnât work, try cutting out caffeine altogether.

6. Tap the exercise answer. Itâs a simple fact: If youâre physically tired at the end of the day, youâll sleep better. In a study from Stanford University School of Medicine, a group of 50- to 76-year-olds who had complained of sleep problems began moderate exercise for about half an hour four times a week. Compared with a similar group of people who didnât exercise, the more active group slept an average of one hour more each night, took less time to fall asleep, spent less time napping, and reported an overall improvement in sleep quality. Outdoor exercise is especially helpful. By exposing yourself to sunlight (particularly in the afternoon), you help prevent midday sleepiness and reinforce your bodyâs circadian rhythms. Exercise at least three hours before bedtime.

7. Soak it up. Take a warm bath an hour or two before bed. Your body temperature will slowly drop after you get out of the tub, making you feel tired. Donât bathe right before bed, however, because it can briefly stimulate you enough to make it hard to fall asleep.

8. Drift off naturally. Investigate the benefits of chamomile, valerian, kava, passionflower, skullcap, catnip, or hops. These herbs can be taken in tea and other forms. A cup of chamomile tea before bedtime may be all you need to relax. If youâre trying valerian, the suggested dose for the concentrated form is equal to two to three grams of the root a day. But donât combine valerian with alcohol or mood-regulating drugs. If youâre using kava, try a dose of between 60 and 120 mg before bedtime.

9. Donât toss and turn. If 30 minutes go by and you havenât fallen asleep, donât lie in bed feeling frustrated. Get up and do something relaxing, like listening to soothing music or flipping through a magazine. Or make yourself a cup of warm milk.

10. Buy the right bed. A bed thatâs too soft can cause poor sleep postures (which can also lead to muscle stiffness and back problems). If youâre leaving a divot in the mattress when you get up, itâs too soft. Replace your mattress if itâs more than 10 years old, and buy one thatâs as firm as you can tolerate but still comfortable

yeah reading a book makes me sleepy try that

personnaly i find reading boring and makes me annoyed about stuff so i don't fall asleep
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

If you are ripping texts from a website, -please- make sure you link to the original source.

Above source:
http://www.rd.com/health/sleep-tips-easy-ways-to-catch-more-zzzs/

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I don't know your age

Currently, fifteen.
keep a regular schedule and don't do stuff that prevents you from sleeping from an hour before you sleep onwards

It's pretty hard to do this in the summer, but I'll try.
At any rate, breathing exercises as part of meditation which empties one's mind is a good idea regardless of whether it actually helps you sleep, so that's a good starting point. Other things to consider are how comfortable you are, the temperature, what time you take a shower

I do the breathing exercises often. It's hard to clear out my mind, though. Well, I'm very comfortable where I am, it's normally around sixty degrees in my room when I have the air conditioner on, and I like it. I take showers when I wake up and about an hour or two before I go to sleep.

Now time to read and comment on the copypasta.

1. My room is very dark when I go to bed. There's barely any light in my room when I decide to go to sleep.

2. I do the meditating and stretching things, but nothing else.

3. Okay.

4. I eat something about three hours before I go to sleep. I'm almost never hungry or full when I go to bed.

5. I don't drink caffeine often.

6. I exercise often, but that doesn't help much at night due to my thoughts.

7. I already do that. I take a nice long hot shower about an hour or two before I go to sleep.

8. I drink Tilo tea sometimes, and that works well.

9. Okay.

10. I have a good bed.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Well, I've been getting to sleep earlier at night during the weekdays. Could be because I've been busier lately and it tires me out. I've also been drinking tilo tea often and doing those breathing and stretching things, so that's been working well for me.

RaGzOr
RaGzOr
132 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, get a warm drink and try to free your mind when you go to bed. Is something worrying you? Don't take your problems into the pillow! Besides you should make a visit to your doctor to see what's happening with your knee, can be nothing like a growing phase!

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,890 posts
Nomad

I've been having sleeping problems recently.

Ghost, aren't you an insomniac?

Anyway, what I do is I do pushups until I physically can't, then I drink some warm milk and in the dark, hold my eyes open, while blinking, until I get too tired to do it.
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,890 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post.

Also, I listen to this song. It is basically about sleeping and fireflies. =P

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4[/url]

DeadFamous
DeadFamous
152 posts
Nomad

Listening to music helps me fall asleep. Also, reading a book helps too, especially something boring like a school textbook.

CMsucks
CMsucks
11 posts
Nomad

Watch a movie and relax or read a book very relaxing

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I used to try loads of things to try sleep/relax.
Now i find it better to just stay on the internet 24/7.
I'm cool like that.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Is something worrying you?

Should read the whole thread before posting.
you should make a visit to your doctor to see what's happening with your knee

The pain's been gone for a while. The creams I was putting on the area worked well.
aren't you an insomniac?

Dunno.
Watch a movie and relax or read a book very relaxing

Please read the thread before posting. I've stated several times that I can't watch a movie nor read a book because that doens't help me sleep, it actually keeps me awake.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Not for me. Reason: Reading a book makes me stay up longer because when I read I picture the events in my mind, sort of like a movie in my head.

Try lying still while thinking about such a movie in your head without actually reading a book or watching anything. Set up a scenario and just roll with it. You'll eventually fall asleep. idk how it works but it works for me.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Try lying still while thinking about such a movie in your head without actually reading a book or watching anything. Set up a scenario and just roll with it. You'll eventually fall asleep. idk how it works but it works for me.

Getting lost in imagination is what gets me to sleep too.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

That may work. It'll probably give me better dreams.

spiritglodia
spiritglodia
1 posts
Nomad

I have sleeping problems to but i reading books make me sleepy so your get intelligent Toooo

Showing 46-60 of 61