The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernThose "I'm a Mormon" ads

76 10039
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Does anyone understand the point of these ads? I really don't get it, and they're everywhere. I'm not mad, I'm just curious as to what their point is. Am I missing something?

• 76 Replies
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

I got the ads as well even if I live in Italy, and that's kind of far from Utah. But most of my Internet history is made by english pages so I don't know.

However I don't get the purpose as well. Are they trying to convert people by advertising on the Internet?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I got the ads as well even if I live in Italy, and that's kind of far from Utah.

Like I say, I don't think those ads are generated automatically based on searches like the other ones; these are programmed in there manually by site admins (most likely).

However I don't get the purpose as well. Are they trying to convert people by advertising on the Internet?

Welcome to the glorious world of organized religion.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I think the popup ads don't differ depending on geographical location. They might be under a completely different system from the regular "stand still" ads.

that's probably the case since people in italy are getting it.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Well... To be honest these ads are directed at (among others) people who went to high schools like mine. At my high school, there were a lot of Mormons, but the majority of people were not Mormon. And, for some reason, there is an abundance of missionaries in my city. This leads to the creation of stereotypes. We're around enough Mormons to make broad generalizations, and at the same time we are mildly annoyed by them.

Basically, Mormons are stereotyped as being a bunch of prudish out of touch white people who have one thousand children and play board games on Friday (and Sunday) nights while eating rice krispy treats. I'm serious about the rice krispy thing, that has even been mentioned in South Park, so it isn't just a local stereotype.

The point of these commercials is to show that this is a rather close-minded view, and that Mormons are actually quite diverse.

Of course, people who don't know about these stereotypes will just be confused. They'll probably go to the internet to find answers, and eventually they'll find out about the stereotypes.

It also might be a rebuttal to The Book of Mormon, a Broadway play put on by Matt Stone and Trey Parker, which satirizes Mormonism.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

The point of these commercials is to show that this is a rather close-minded view, and that Mormons are actually quite diverse.

are you saying i'm close-minded? because this has already been explained some pages back.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

That is the truth.

I'd like to think I know because I am a Mormon. Many of the stereotypes fail to hold any truth outside of North America.

It also might be a rebuttal to The Book of Mormon, a Broadway play put on by Matt Stone and Trey Parker, which satirizes Mormonism.

I have a suspicion the site being advertised was around before the musical debuted in March.

are you saying i'm close-minded?

He wasn't being direct there mate.
brp47
brp47
580 posts
Peasant

What you call smut I call AMERICA

made me smile )) and i also partially agree, but some americans are nice
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

He wasn't being direct there mate.

So are we all close-minded or are none of us close-minded? I'm a little confused by his statement.
hokzwijn
hokzwijn
511 posts
Peasant

I have no idea what ads you are talking about. Once again I feel lucky I live in Europe.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

are you saying i'm close-minded?

No, I actually didn't say anything of the sort. I said that the Mormon ads (not me) were probably trying to point out that people who think Mormons are all alike are rather close-minded.

I have a suspicion the site being advertised was around before the musical debuted in March.

I have a suspicion that the LDS church probably knew that the musical was coming out long before that. It has been in production for like seven years. Of course, I'm just speculating here, but this does seem somewhat like a preemptive counter strike. I'm sure the LDS church knew it was about to get a lot of bad publicity, so maybe it was just getting a head start on damage control.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

No, I actually didn't say anything of the sort. I said that the Mormon ads (not me) were probably trying to point out that people who think Mormons are all alike are rather close-minded.

Ohhhhhh alright thanks for clearing that up for me.
Showing 61-71 of 76