The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernLove

37 5949
Rinjo
Rinjo
53 posts
Peasant

My question for all of you lovely people on the WEPR forums is this: Does true love exist? Personally, I believe due to human nature, there is a relatively minute chance that two people can commit solely to each other and be truly happy. Humans are designed to breed, our innate purpose is to reproduce and increase the longevity of our species. This is the likely reason why many people are not settling down until their late thirties into their early fifties. Their natural reproduction desires begin to die down and they can focus on a relationship instead of their "biological clock."

Agree, disagree, qualify? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

• 37 Replies
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,482 posts
Shepherd

I personally think it can exist. Though organisms desire to breed does exist, Humans, to me, are more than just lust-seeking animals. From an evolutionary standpoint, our only purpose in life seems to be to reproduce. Obviously that's not too hard for a species of 7 billion, and I'm sure that most people believe that there is more purpose in life than to just reproduce. So I personally think that people can be happy even if they are monogamous. Although they probably would want to have all the happytime with all the nice looking girls/guys they'd find, I think people see things life self-control and success as other factors in making themselves happy. For example, if some extremely rich 20-year old who's got a job at like, his dad's company or whatever ends up getting married, I'm sure he'll still enjoy his super-cool life.

Rinjo
Rinjo
53 posts
Peasant

I believe that monogamy is the road more frequently traveled, but I can't imagine why. Why would you want to limit yourself to one piece of the pie in a buffet? It's so illogical and I find it mind boggling that one person would want to commit permanently to another person. In your example, the 20 year old rich guy would be happy at first. He would look at his life and think, "Man this is pretty great." And then two years later, he's bored of being with the same woman, and is stuck in a lifelong commitment of boredom and dull existence because he went against his basic instincts.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

My question for all of you lovely people on the WEPR forums is this: Does true love exist?

To start, the WEPR isn't the debate sub-forum, it's a forum to debate world events, politics, religion, ect. The tavern is used to hold debates that don't fit in other forums.

Personally, I believe due to human nature, there is a relatively minute chance that two people can commit solely to each other and be truly happy. Humans are designed to breed, our innate purpose is to reproduce and increase the longevity of our species.

I disagree, the very fact that there is homosexual love shows that humans don't just have love to reproduce. Two homosexuals can't reproduce with each other but they still can love one another. Also, humans weren't designed to breed, it just so happened that evolution dictated that bisexual reproduction is the best method for continuing a specie. Humans were made to survive, and offspring is just an aspect of that.

This is the likely reason why many people are not settling down until their late thirties into their early fifties. Their natural reproduction desires begin to die down and they can focus on a relationship instead of their "biological clock."

Humans rely a lot less on instinct then animals do. Our brains are far more developed and we think more. While teenagers we start getting hormone crazed and can't stop thinking about sex, but this dies away after puberty. This means anyone in their 20's is just as clear minded as people in their 30's in the matter of relationship. I think the reason many people wait until 30's is due to not feeling mature enough or don't want to give up their freedoms. In the 1900's people were ready to marry in their teenage years and humans haven't evolved since then so nothing other than society could have changed.

So the way i see it, same-sex relationships show that true love does exist, because they are only in love with their partners, not having any want for reproduction with them. They might want to have kids, but they tend to adopt children.
Programpro
Programpro
562 posts
Nomad

I think that some aspects of love a very hard to prove (ie. the idea of only one soulmate, or of love at first sight.)

That being said, I do believe in true love as something apart from lust and apart from affection; it is truly something special, and is the ultimate source of happiness

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

i disagree. you could also easily say that only when they are 30 their "instinct" is starting to show up. i think that every human is different. same in the animal kingdom. even though most animals just breed and live their partners some animals have one partner for their whole life. i guess humans have a combination of those

Rinjo
Rinjo
53 posts
Peasant

To start, the WEPR isn't the debate sub-forum

Apologies, I don't come here very often.

In the 1900's people were ready to marry in their teenage years and humans haven't evolved since then so nothing other than society could have changed.

We have devolved, if anything. More importantly, advances in medical science have enabled a life span that was mythical during the 1900s.

I disagree, the very fact that there is homosexual love shows that humans don't just have love to reproduce.

I never stated that love was related to reproduction. And homosexuality is a mutation / life choice / genetic alteration so it can't account for the vast majority of the human race. Same-sex relationships are rare, and while becoming more popular in recent times, the miniscule fraction of homosexual relationships does not displace that of the heterosexual population.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

I never stated that love was related to reproduction. And homosexuality is a mutation / life choice / genetic alteration so it can't account for the vast majority of the human race. Same-sex relationships are rare, and while becoming more popular in recent times, the miniscule fraction of homosexual relationships does not displace that of the heterosexual population.

actually no its much more common then you might think. also, since most humans do stay with one other human in their 30 as you said you could say that humans WERE actually meant to stay with one person and those who dont are mutation/life choice/genetic alteration
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Apologies, I don't come here very often.

It's no problem, just clearing it up.

We have devolved, if anything. More importantly, advances in medical science have enabled a life span that was mythical during the 1900s.

I mean as a species.

But you did say "Humans are designed to breed, our innate purpose is to reproduce and increase the longevity of our species" which sounded like you were linking love to the need to reproduce.

If heterosexual love is partly for reproduction, then is homosexual love (which can't be for reproduction) the only true love? Food for thought.
Rinjo
Rinjo
53 posts
Peasant

[/quote]If heterosexual love is partly for reproduction, then is homosexual love (which can't be for reproduction) the only true love? Food for thought.[quote]

A good point. Personally, my Aunt is a lesbian and she has been in a committed relationship for many years. I believe that the reason homosexual relationships last so much longer are because of being the same gender. It must be more simple to be in a relationship with someone who is the same gender as you due to understanding each other in such a different way than different genders. Also interesting fact, there is not one reported case of child abuse in a homosexually parental family.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Also interesting fact, there is not one reported case of child abuse in a homosexually parental family.

I would think that is because the child wasn't an accident. When they adopt a child, plenty of thought goes into the decision and they wouldn't adopt one if they weren't sure about it. In heterosexual marriages, a child could have been an unexpected mistake that the parents don't want to deal with. This is just one possibility, but there could be many reasons for this.
Rinjo
Rinjo
53 posts
Peasant

I agree, I think that it might be due to the fact that it is so difficult for people to adopt, especially homosexuals (due to discrimination), they don't really take the child for granted, like most people do. Also, I don't know why I quoted myself and inverted it. That was weird.

GoblinD
GoblinD
322 posts
Nomad

Love is all chemicals.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

And moved.

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

love is the emotion

GameJuMe
GameJuMe
105 posts
Nomad

Love is everywhere. when i mean everywhere i MEAN EVERYWHERE!

Showing 1-15 of 37