The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernCalories

18 3086
Haku1234567890
Haku1234567890
1,720 posts
Nomad

Can anyone explain how calories work, I need to eat 2500 Calories a day (calculated) and an Average tomato is about 25 Calories, does that mean I could eat 100 Tomatoes trough whole day (just example, I know its not healthy to eat same thing for all meals) and be good..

• 18 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Calories are important and for a healthy diet must be looked at but you also have to take into consideration your sodium, protein, fiber and sugar levels.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I highly doubt you can eat 100 tomato's in one day (your stomache isn't that big (hopefully)), but if you can, then yes, that would be fine. Calories are the amount of energy your body needs to preform all it's daily tasks (digestion, pumping blood, and other bodily functions), plus any other tasks you preform (walking, swimming, ect). If your body needs 2100 calories to preform it's tasks fully, and you need 400 more calories to enable you to work, then you would need 2500 calories total for a day. The problem is if you eat 2600 calories worth of food, then your body has 100 calories it doesn't have anything to do with so your body stores it as fat. That is why when you don't eat enough for a long time, the first thing your body gets rid of is fat because it is burning it for energy.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

This should explain a lot:

Haku1234567890
Haku1234567890
1,720 posts
Nomad

Ok thank you, you explained it pretty well, can lock it now

bravehawk204
bravehawk204
349 posts
Nomad

That chicken sandwich at KFC with the two chicken pieces as patties, bacon, and three pieces of cheese must have at lest three tousand calories, but it tastes SOOOOOOOOOO goooooooood. All greasy and fatty things taste good that's why I work out so much is due to all the junk I eat. Also no I'm not a red neck fat guy like most alot of people in Kentucky, I'm a city boy from Atlanta, not a hick.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Calories are important and for a healthy diet must be looked at but you also have to take into consideration your sodium, protein, fiber and sugar levels.

If your not concerned with any of that just drink 10 sodas. They are about 250 calories a piece.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

If your not concerned with any of that just drink 10 sodas. They are about 250 calories a piece.

Just watch out for your teeth dropping out and Type II diabetes down the track.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

an Average tomato is about 25 Calories, does that mean I could eat 100 Tomatoes trough whole day (just example, I know its not healthy to eat same thing for all meals) and be good..

LOL. I think you'd get sick of tomatoes pretty fast, not to mention you'd be lacking protiens you need to live eventually...

Pretty much just read the little lables and keep track of how much, beware the serving size!
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

[quote][quote]Calories are important and for a healthy diet must be looked at but you also have to take into consideration your sodium, protein, fiber and sugar levels.

If your not concerned with any of that just drink 10 sodas. They are about 250 calories a piece.[/quote]
Just watch out for your teeth dropping out and Type II diabetes down the track.[/quote]
And way before that, quite a lot of hunger. Soda (and most other liquids) don't really fill your belly, so even if you've theoretically gotten the energy you need, you'll still feel hungry.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

It's not so much the number of calories as what's in the calories you eat. Yeah, those sodas give you 120 a pop, but for what? 40 grams of sugar and carbs. It's something my mom would say "empty calories".

Or learn how to make chicken alfredo or chicken enchiladas. Oh, you'll get the calories. And the protein. But at what cost!? Oh, the cholesterol...
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

If I were to follow the chain of thought that eating any random food as long as it provides a desired amount of calories is the right way to go..

http://www.fitnessmantra.info/fitness/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/100_calorie_pack__oreo.gif

Since each serving of Oreos is worth 100 calories and a box has six servings, I must eat four boxes of this crap to reach 2400 calories. Woo, 552 g of cookies and 216g of sugar. Cool.

------

It's ridiculous to assume that eating a hundred tomatoes a day would keep you running. You will not obtain all the nutrients you need from tomatoes alone. Of course, you want to aim for variety in your diet.

Back to the topic, I was looking around for opinions on the over-consumption of tomatoes. There was no indication of anyone eating a hundred tomatoes a day. Lycopenemia was the most interesting thing I found. Apparently it is a condition where one has an excessive concentration of lycopene in their blood, which causes their skin to turn to this bizarre orange-ish color. I also saw some mentions of indigestion and heartburn.

Anyway, I'd just assume that eating that many tomatoes would bode ill for your body. Consuming too much of anything is bad. That goes for water too.

Just watch out for your teeth dropping out and Type II diabetes down the track.

Diabetes.. It hurts.
AwesomeB
AwesomeB
26 posts
Nomad

Apparently I barely get 1500 calories a day, I don't eat any snacks except for strawberries, and I hardly ever eat fast food. During meals I barely have any appetite.

SwordAndShield
SwordAndShield
567 posts
Nomad

Look on the nutrition information of whatever you eat. It has calories right there.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

The soda thing was something of a joke. I have a pretty high metabolism myself. I find a high protein diet works.

Diabetes.. It hurts.

You can't sugarcoat it either.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

You can't sugarcoat it either.

Yeah. My mum had type I diabetes and her mother had type II diabetes. They both eventually succumbed to the complications.
Showing 1-15 of 18