ForumsThe TavernTo all grammar nazis

44 9454
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

This:

Encapsulates what I think about grammar nazi's perfectly. The bit around the 4:40 mark where he starts talking about using proper grammar for a job or for a test, but then &quotutting on" a different sense of grammar and manner of speaking among friends or in a relaxed setting. I simply cannot stand people who look at another's blog post, forum post, or any other type of post that is in a social setting, then, being completely irrelevant to the post, attempt to tear it apart based upon the grammar and spelling used in it...as if they are being intelligent in finding all of these mistakes or something. It's almost like grammar nazis can't add anything constructive to the conversation, so they just make everyone rage about grammar and spelling, I believe pseudo-intelligent would be the words for that. All this being said, it's not an excuse to talk and type in a completely unintelligible manner, people have to understand what you are trying to convey, in order to understand it. There is a time and place for everything, and that applies to proper grammar and spelling as well

• 44 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

"I tOtAlLy AgReE, i h8 dAt GrAmMer."

No i actually do agree, some people simply make typos in their post, others post without spell check, it's no big deal. You have 20 year olds (Ignore my age :|) correcting the grammar of thirteen year olds.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

Yeah, I know what it's like. The only thing that's more annoying than people who complain about everything is people who complain about people who complain about everything.

Really, most people think grammar Nazis are annoying, that's sort of why they're called Nazis and not grammar fairies or whatever. Making a thread to complain about those who complain without adding anything constructive is, I'm afraid, not constructive at all.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Also, turnips.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I think a total stranger coming to your hose and correcting you would be much more irratating.

(God, I wish I knew how to put the links to words so that mess isn't there. :\\)

But yeah, grammar nazis are very annoying. The best way to counter them is to talk with the worst grammar possible, using the words ain't, gonna, gotta, wanna, gots to, and say me and her rather than her and I. So then the grammar nazis overload trying to disect the sentence in their little heads and they just explode into confetti. Thus, ending your problem.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

All this being said, it's not an excuse to talk and type in a completely unintelligible manner, people have to understand what you are trying to convey, in order to understand it.

I agree entirely. If someone misspells a long word or forgets an apostrophe or forgets punctuation at the end of their post, I don't really care at all and I ignore it. The only reason I notice it is because I need to proofread a lot of other student's works for school. The only time poor grammar annoys me is when they lose all respect for the site.

I've seen some post things like this:

les al jus typ liek dis i meen 4 reelz weer getin da pont acros in dis relaxd soshal setin n if u don liek it den ur a gramr nzi

(Translation in case you need it: Let's all just type like this. I mean, for real, we're getting the point across in this relaxed social setting and if you don't like it, then you're a Grammar Nazi.)
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

(Translation in case you need it: Let's all just type like this. I mean, for real, we're getting the point across in this relaxed social setting and if you don't like it, then you're a Grammar Nazi.)

r u reffuring 2 meh 4rom teh baning gaem?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

r u reffuring 2 meh 4rom teh baning gaem?

Naw. It's fine there, still annoying, but fine. I mean on a regular forum thread like in WEPR.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Naw. It's fine there, still annoying, but fine. I mean on a regular forum thread like in WEPR.

Yeah the WEPR section would not really be a good place type with terrible language if you want to be taken seriously. I mostly type like that on the ban game to be a smart a** and to tick off the grammar nazis there. It's actually really fun to type like an illiterate person.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double but I think I had some poor word- choice for this:

and to tick off the grammar nazis

I don't mean tick them off. I'm not real big on trolling. What I really meant to say was to point out how trivial grammar can be at times. Although I do prefer to type with better grammar.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Although I do prefer to type with better grammar.

It shows respect for the site, other users, and yourself. If you're completely careless, the Mods/Admins won't take you seriously. Other users are less likely to value your opinion. You're basically saying, "My opinion dosen't matter at all and I'm just here to annoy you."
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I'm still a grammar nazi when it comes down to it, because we shouldn't be typing like RETARDS! We, as English- speaking Americans should know how for form our language perfectly, otherwise it makes you look retarded. There is no reason to Hav 2 TyP Lik Diz. <--- It's too hard to read. I don't make sure every post is perfect, but you should know how to type in regular English.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

we shouldn't be typing like RETARDS!

there are plenty of
mentally ill people out there
who can type coherently, so what
you are saying is irrelevant.
We, as English- speaking Americans should know how for form our language perfectly

it is not perfect
because we don't know
everything about the
English language
otherwise it makes you look retarded

why are you
so angry and
thinking people who
don't type perfectly are
mentally ill
It's too hard to read.

no it's not
it's fairly easy to read

also, if you know English
&quoterfectly" then it shouldn't
be difficult for you to read
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

are you seriously taking this as an actual debate? dude... get a life.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

are you seriously taking this as an actual debate? dude... get a life.

well grammar is
part of a subject
in school
and school was
apart of your
rant about teens
these days
if youre wondering
im typing like
GhostOfMatrix
ive been signed
up for the free
verse poetry army
that he started
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

well grammar is
part of a subject
in school
and school was
apart of your
rant about teens
these days
if youre wondering
im typing like
GhostOfMatrix
ive been signed
up for the free
verse poetry army
that he started

Are you trying to argue against me? if you are your argument is weak. Second off, take it from an actual poet, that pushing 'enter' after a few syllables does not constitute a poem.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I guess that means
you see how you are wrong
and you have nothing to post
about it, and you are
trying to be off-topic
[sarcasm]funny guy you are[/sarcasm]

Showing 1-15 of 44