ForumsThe TavernTo all grammar nazis

44 9455
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

This:

Encapsulates what I think about grammar nazi's perfectly. The bit around the 4:40 mark where he starts talking about using proper grammar for a job or for a test, but then &quotutting on" a different sense of grammar and manner of speaking among friends or in a relaxed setting. I simply cannot stand people who look at another's blog post, forum post, or any other type of post that is in a social setting, then, being completely irrelevant to the post, attempt to tear it apart based upon the grammar and spelling used in it...as if they are being intelligent in finding all of these mistakes or something. It's almost like grammar nazis can't add anything constructive to the conversation, so they just make everyone rage about grammar and spelling, I believe pseudo-intelligent would be the words for that. All this being said, it's not an excuse to talk and type in a completely unintelligible manner, people have to understand what you are trying to convey, in order to understand it. There is a time and place for everything, and that applies to proper grammar and spelling as well

• 44 Replies
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I guess that means
you see how you are wrong
and you have nothing to post
about it, and you are
trying to be off-topic

you sir are an ***. It's a matter of opinion, and that's what makes this country great. You don't have a problem with it, that's fine and dandy. I think it makes a person look like a dyslexic chimpanzee scratching his *** with the keyboard.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

im still learning
im sure you werent
exactly perfect
when you started either
and talking bringing up
your rant
was to show how
youre being rather
hypocritical
about it if youre
unwilling to participate
in a debate about a fairly
large chunk of it
but since im an uneducated
teenager
im more than willing
to learn about free
verse poetry

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I see you're attempting to
insult me with petty insults
well, I don't see how that's going
to change anything, it just makes you look
like someone who cannot handle a topic
you're taking something so trivial too seriously
thinking that typing perfectly means everything
and it's required, or you'll look like someone who has no intelligence, but that's where you are wrong

I advise you to read
the definition of opinion

You stated several things a page back
as if it were fact
you posted "we shouldn't be typing like retards"
which is saying all mentally ill people
type with improper grammar
that's where you are wrong

you also said all English speaking Americans
should know the English language perfectly
well, it isn't that easy, it's takes years
to perfect, if it's even possible
there are always places where you can improve and learn

and saying that "typ lik dis"
is too difficult to read is preposterous
if you know English so well as you claimed
it shouldn't be difficult for you to decipher

Or rather, you posted things as an ignorant person would
It's understandable, I know how people can be
however, you must gain tact

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

you're taking something so trivial too seriously
BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA I'm taking it too seriously? I didn't leave a giant note trying to completely dismantle the person who agrees with me.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

BWAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA I'm taking it too seriously? I didn't leave a giant note trying to completely dismantle the person who agrees with me.

I think some
ninja'ing is afoot.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I didn't leave a giant note trying to completely dismantle the person who agrees with me.
Disagrees*
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

there are plenty of
mentally ill people out there
who can type coherently

And I know plenty who cannot. He should've conveyed, "We shouldn't be typing like we have SEVERE PARKINSON'S DISEASE when we don't." But I guess that's discriminating against those with PD. Can you find a way to convey an analogy by direct comparison without offending anyone?

it is not perfect
because we don't know
everything about the
English language

That's what English (Language Arts, Literature, Communication Arts, Grammar, or whatever they called it at your school) class is for. Wiki has all the answers. If you don't know everything about the English language, unless you lack the capacity, you can learn it there.

no it's not
it's fairly easy to read
also, if you know English
&quoterfectly" then it shouldn't
be difficult for you to read

I was able to decipher the statement instantly. That's no excuse.

I think some ninja'ing is afoot.

There was no ninja. Read GoM's 6th line in his rant.
Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

There was no ninja. Read GoM's 6th line in his rant.

I seemed to
have figuered
out that thepyrro222
has made a typo
and has corrected
himself so you're
right
no ninja'ing
afoot
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

From your first post in this thread
it leads me to believe you take grammar
too seriously, which is why I said what I said

If I were to type as I normally would
it wouldn't be "giant"

Not sure why you're trying to attack how much I'm typing
I'm simply trying to show you things

Can you find a way to convey an analogy by direct comparison without offending anyone?

How you type while texting, in online forums, chat rooms, etc.. has little meaning. It only means something if you are doing a test, working, or doing something else that's important. Sure, typing properly can make you look "intelligent", but there are plenty of pseudo-intellectuals out there, so it means nothing. Many people like to judge people on how they type, when they could be "faking" it. I can easily fake it, I can typ lik dis if i wantod 2. That would probably lead people to believe I'm unintelligent. But if I type like I am now, they'd think I'm intelligent. It doesn't make sense to judge people like that, get to know them first.
That's what English (Language Arts, Literature, Communication Arts, Grammar, or whatever they called it at your school) class is for. Wiki has all the answers. If you don't know everything about the English language, unless you lack the capacity, you can learn it there.

Yes they teach, but it'll take a long time to learn it all, and then there'll probably be more to learn. I'm not sure if it's possible to learn EVERYTHING about the English language in a lifetime.
I was able to decipher the statement instantly. That's no excuse.

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or thepyro222. Well, if you're disagreeing with me, I don't see why.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

no it's not
it's fairly easy to read

You've just discriminated against the illiterate, as well as those foreigners who need to use a translator site in order to post here, because they never learned English. You can't put
Hav 2 TyP Lik Diz.

into a translator and expect a decent response.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

You've just discriminated against the illiterate, as well as those foreigners who need to use a translator site in order to post here, because they never learned English.

It appears you haven't read the whole conversation, our posts are about AMERICANS who know ENGLISH. I wasn't speaking for illiterate nor foreigners.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

[Now there is ninja'ing afoot!]

This site accomodates foreigners as well. If people are sloppy, how will those foreigners be able to understand them?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

This site accomodates foreigners as well. If people are sloppy, how will those foreigners be able to understand them?

I'm sorry, but you spelt "accommodates" incorrectly, so I can't decipher your post. Nah, just kidding.

If the foreigners don't know English, then they can't post in the forums because this is an English forum. If you are trying to argue that EVERYONE should type out well in English, that a horrible argument. Getting EVERYONE to type properly isn't going to work out, and if the foreigners are having trouble understanding a post or comment, then it's best for them to seek assistance. Such as asking another member of the site what a certain post means. There will always be people out there who will type improperly, so arguing that everyone should type properly is redundant.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

Understand, arguing that everyone shouldn't type correctly is just plain stupid. There is no reason that people can't type regularly. I'm not saying you have to act like it's a college final thesis paper. It shouldn't take me more effort to type in some ridiculous way rather than just typing regularly. I'm not saying that EVERYONE HAS TO TYPE LIKE A COLLEGE PROFESSOR OR ELSE THEY WILL BE BURNED AT THE STAKE. I'm not saying that at all. Alls I'm saying is that there is no reason to type like an idiot if you have a decent understanding of the English language.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

No it's not
some people type
faster by not typing properly

The reason as to why
they don't type properly
is probably because
it's faster for them

You're saying everyone who