ForumsThe TavernTo all grammar nazis

44 9452
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

This:

Encapsulates what I think about grammar nazi's perfectly. The bit around the 4:40 mark where he starts talking about using proper grammar for a job or for a test, but then &quotutting on" a different sense of grammar and manner of speaking among friends or in a relaxed setting. I simply cannot stand people who look at another's blog post, forum post, or any other type of post that is in a social setting, then, being completely irrelevant to the post, attempt to tear it apart based upon the grammar and spelling used in it...as if they are being intelligent in finding all of these mistakes or something. It's almost like grammar nazis can't add anything constructive to the conversation, so they just make everyone rage about grammar and spelling, I believe pseudo-intelligent would be the words for that. All this being said, it's not an excuse to talk and type in a completely unintelligible manner, people have to understand what you are trying to convey, in order to understand it. There is a time and place for everything, and that applies to proper grammar and spelling as well

• 44 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I'm sorry, but you spelt "accommodates" incorrectly, so I can't decipher your post. Nah, just kidding.

I accidently proved my point. Technically, if someone tried to translate my sentence, it would say, "This site __(blah blah blah)_____ foreigners as well." They could infer that the "blah" word meant "hates" or many other things and the meaning of the sentence is lost to them.

If the foreigners don't know English, then they can't post in the forums because this is an English forum.

They most certainly can, and they do. As I've stated before, they can use an online translator. They can copy and paste what's in the forum on one side and it will translate it to the other in their language. They can then type in their language and translate it to English, copy and paste that to the dialogue box, and click submit.

If you are trying to argue that EVERYONE should type out well in English, that a horrible argument.

I'm saying we should be more accommodating to other users. If we're typing an important opinion and the meaning is lost, then they find the opinion unimportant.

Getting EVERYONE to type properly isn't going to work out, and if the foreigners are having trouble understanding a post or comment, then it's best for them to seek assistance. Such as asking another member of the site what a certain post means.

Some do and also ask, "Please type more better. My English is no good."
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

And I'm going to agree to disagree. It's clear you really don't care... I think it makes people look stupid. We're at a stalemate.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Did I ninja you?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

They most certainly can, and they do.

I should've made it clearer: They *can* post in the forums, but they'll be warned for posting in another language on the forums because it's against the rules.
As I've stated before, they can use an online translator. They can copy and paste what's in the forum on one side and it will translate it to the other in their language. They can then type in their language and translate it to English, copy and paste that to the dialogue box, and click submit.

Yes they can, and if they are having troubles understanding English words, aside from asking people, there are add-ons for correcting English words.
Some do and also ask, "Please type more better. My English is no good."

And from what I've seen when they do that, members comply.
It's clear you really don't care.

I *care* about language and I study it often, I enjoy learning. However, I don't impose my views on others and make absurd comments about things. Those comments consisting of "everyone who doesn't type properly is stupid" etc.. I don't see how they are stupid just because they miss a few commas, periods, punctuation marks and such. It's can be easily deciphered by people who know English well enough.

I understand how it *can* be difficult for people who don't know English well to understand it, however, there are add-ons for English, dictionaries, urbandictionary, and you may even ask people for help if you are having troubles understanding a word or slang word someone says.

I mean, when I'm typing in a chat room like Facebook chat IM'ing others, I type quickly without caring about punctuation and such. The people I'm chatting with can easily understand it, so why should I be pedant? I don't see why I should type &quoterfectly" when I'm IM'ing others, as long as they can understand me clearly, it's fine.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I don't see how they are stupid just because they miss a few commas, periods, punctuation marks and such.

[The following is a poor example because I've seen much worse.]

im going to tell you about the game it was fun the home team won 2 to 1 it was great because i was there and it was
nice because i got a hot dog with ketchup with my soda with ice it was a pepsi i caught a fly ball

[Punctuation helps.]
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

It does help, but I can easily read that, and I'm sure many others can as well.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I understand how it *can* be difficult for people who don't know English well to understand it, however, there are add-ons for English, dictionaries, urbandictionary, and you may even ask people for help if you are having troubles understanding a word or slang word someone says.

I get that people who don't have English as a first language find it hard to understand the structure of sentences sometimes, but can't the same be said for slang?
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

I only really care if they type with such poor grammar/spelling that I actually can't understand. Ex: "armr games rocks add chat i wanna tell"
the only reason I know what that says is because I typed it.
Now, obviously, if they explain their bad grammar/spelling (English is my second language, I have a disorder, etc.) then I'm okay with that.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

As long as it isnt like lolspeak or something ridiculous, grammar doesnt really bother me. Though it is fun to see people get all mad about it.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I normally don't have a problem with people writing in bad grammar as long as I can understand it. In fact, I once made up an Easter Dinosaur that wrote in bad grammar. Here's an example of one of my uses of the Easter Dinosaur in You're banned (a forum game):

ur banned for fireball

When I did that with the Easter Dinosaur, I meant that for MrDayCee.

However, I do have somewhat of a problem with people writing in poetry (there's some on this thread) outside of AMW. To me, poetry belongs in AMW and should stay there rather than be used in other sections.
bravehawk204
bravehawk204
349 posts
Nomad

I hate grammar nazis.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I get that people who don't have English as a first language find it hard to understand the structure of sentences sometimes, but can't the same be said for slang?

If I'm interpreting this correctly, yes. There are many slang words out there. UrbanDictionary gets several hundred slang words each day, and I hear many of them used. It can be difficult to understand slang words because of how many meanings there are to them.
Though it is fun to see people get all mad about it.

It's amusing. :>
However, I do have somewhat of a problem with people writing in poetry (there's some on this thread) outside of AMW. To me, poetry belongs in AMW and should stay there rather than be used in other sections.

Too bad, so sad,
there are no rules for
how you may or may not write out your post
I hate grammar nazis.

Meh. They don't really bother me, it's just a bit annoying when they only post around the forums to correct people. It's easy to ignore them and distance yourself away from them.
dumbbutdeadly2189
dumbbutdeadly2189
113 posts
Nomad

hey you all forgot to capitalize Nazi lol. syke nah I have been in a battle about a post I made where I didn't define the term " Serious gamer" when that was completely irrelevant to my point. I hate that especially when it is someone who has like thousands of posts and act like they've seen it all. Most of there posts say stuff like. "no", "Yes", "good point" , etc.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Eh, you're trying to bring something out of a different thread. I'll go post in that thread now to avoid derailing this one.

Showing 31-44 of 44