Do you believe dreams can foresee the future
or communicate knowledge?
Have you had a dream that came true?

• 44 Replies
d_dude
d_dude
3,523 posts
Peasant

I once had a dream that the infamous 'This Thread is Currently About' thread was going to be locked. Sure enough, 2 days later I got on to see that it was.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

i got a few. 2 of them actually helped me discover things i didnt know in a video game. one of them told me an actuall japanese word that exist that i didnt know before. and there were a few i cant remember but i do remember that i had a dream when i was really young like 6 years old about a girl i never knew in a place i never knew that came true 6 years after i dreamed it.

personally i do believe that dreams can do that

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Wow! That's really something!
I know people, like you, d_dude, who've
had dreams and woke up to find them
come true.
The most spectacular ones are the ones
where the dream comes true years later.
I've had dreams about things that I
was supposed to do, but never did, irl.
I dream that I already did it, only
to wake and find I didn't.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

I had a dream in which I saw a flash of shogun 2 and later I played it and I saw the same thing as in my dream.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

I had a dream once about a person I later met irl.
I've dreamed about certain places many times.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Since I don't feel like retyping everything, I'll just copy everything I've posted in the now-dead Deja Vu thread. There, people were trying to define it as a seizure that caused a lapse in memory as it was happening, causing a feeling of seing it twice. Or possibly one eye working at a slightly faster rate than the other causing an anomoly. But I've got a different theory.

The feeling seems to have been caused by the dream thing (I'd call it a "subconscious foresight" because even Wiki dosen't have a name for it). The "fast-rate" thing they claim is total BS. I've even written events with details down weeks before they happened. Although they weren't anything big like seeing a building blow up or someone get shot. No, It was little things like once I had a SF of getting a quiz back in math class (before we had even taken the quiz!). The quiz had many errors. I remembered typing in numbers in my calculator (obviously to find my score as a percentage). I didn't remember the exact numbers that were displayed. I remembered hitting 'clear' and typing again. It displayed a number of 0.4somethingrepeating. I woke up. A few days later I told another student about it.A few weeks later I got the quiz back. I had been very worried about that score. I typed in my score (22.5/30) and it displayed 0.75. I was surprised by this but as I was typing that in I overheard another of my friends say his score (14/30) so I hit clear and typed that in and it displayed 0.466666666. That was the number from the SF. I was worried for nothing. I told the student that I had told before and he was a little more than a bit scared.

There is no evidence that deja vu is a seizure, it's just a guess. I figure that deja vu and precognition both originate in odd dreams. Lots of people just ignore them or forget them because they are dismissed as irrational or unlikely or just more uneventful than a fantasy-dream. Even I dismissed a dream that lead to deja vu because it contained a covered MLVW (very similar to the one pictured here). However when the deja vu occured for real, I realized that the truck (although the same color and design) was being used by a tree service and was towing a chipper instead of a mortar.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I know people, like you, d_dude, who've
had dreams and woke up to find them
come true.

But that's not fair, d_dude is actually from the future, so he knew the thread was going to be locked.

I don't remember my dreams at all so I don't have anything to contribute to this thread.
gbnxc
gbnxc
190 posts
Nomad

I rarely remember my dreams after i wake up so i wouldnt know...

d_dude
d_dude
3,523 posts
Peasant

But that's not fair, d_dude is actually from the future, so he knew the thread was going to be locked.

Why was I not informed of this? I demand to know why Master knew this and I didn't!

By the way, I hope that dream about me getting ripped apart by ducks doesn't come true...
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

I've found that when I really ponder something right before going to sleep, I'll dream about it. And, very rarely, that dream will offer a solution. This is typically for trivial things like video games. xD

Otherwise, dreams have never really conveyed knowledge to me. Usually, they leave me all confused when I wake up.

I have had a few odd deja vu experiences though; I would assume it's because I remotely remember a strange dream describing what happened. Weird...

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Do you believe dreams can foresee the future

No, instances of this is likely just information in the subconscious being transferred to a conscious state. Our subconscious can be far more aware of the things around us. So you could inadvertently pick up a bit of information and not be consciously aware that you have. Later when that information comes out in a dream it could seem prophetic.

or communicate knowledge?

I suppose in the sense that I stated above it could. Though I wouldn't want to rely on it given a dreams abstract nature.

Have you had a dream that came true?

I've had aspects of dreams that seemed to come true.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I agree with Mage, I also want to add that dreams are compleatly memory and emotion. So anything that you predicted was just something that your brain saw likly to happen. Anything in your dream is something you've thought of, consiously, sub consiously, or right as your dreaming. Sorry I'm a terrible speller.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

I've found dreams always happen every night but I do not always remember them or I only remember parts.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

How did I have a memory/emotion about a military truck? I don't live anywhere near a base and I had never even seen a supply truck like that before irl. I don't even play COD. How could that be explained as something I percieved as 'likely' to happen? I even personally doubted that one because it seemed too unlikely.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Why was I not informed of this? I demand to know why Master knew this and I didn't!

, oh no! You weren't supposed to find out! Now they'll come after me, then they'll come after you!

*hides*
Showing 1-15 of 44