ForumsThe TavernQB in the NFL

33 7315
Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

Tom Brady, or "Tom Terrific" is 1st. He's been in a playoff slump, but he's still been great in the reg. season, is coming off his 2nd MVP and 2nd best career year despite multiple injuries EVERYWHERE on the team and a bad defense during the 1st 11 games of the season.

I give 2nd to Peyton Manning(why doesn't he get a nickname?). Though he had a bad 3 game slump last year, and the Colts didn't win 12 or more games for the 1st time in forever, he still had a great season even with all the injuries the Colts had, even if his TD% and QB rating was a bit lower than his career avg's.

3rd goes to Aaron Rodgers. I know what some fo you may be thinking, "Why isn't Brees in this spot" right? Well Rodgers has shown he can have just as great stats as any QB, plus he's the SB winning QB. Sure he has a ton weapons around him, but this guy is dynamite.

4th is Drew Brees, with his great stats despite little help from teammates on the offensive side(only 4 players on the offensive side of the ball made the Pro-Bowl on all teams he's played on, and 3 of those 4 are O-linemen), he's proven he can win, and produce offensively. Of course, he could easily move down behind my number 5 QB if he keeps throwing Ints like he did last year.

5th goes to Michael Vick. Sure he only has 1 year of starting experience since his return, but he was an MVP candidate(even if he didn't even get 1 1st place vote for it), he has shown he can make plays not only running, but in the pocket as well, something we didn't see much of back in Atlanta.

6th goes to Ben Roethlisberger, or "Big ben". Sure you guys may not agree, but this guy has a career QB rating of 92.5. That's only 2.7 pts lower than Brady, 1.9 pts lower than Manning's, and is actually even better than Brees career QB Rating. This guy, in my opinion, doesn't get enough credit just for the fact that he's on the steelers.

7th goes to Philip Rivers. I know, he really hasn't done a thing the playoffs, but his career averages are astounding, and he's been a Pro-Bowler in 3 of 5 seasons as a starter.
Then add that he has the highest career QB Rating of ANY QB in NFL History, has 3 straight seasons with a QB Rating of 100 or better9Only Peyton Manning has also done that), Rivers is on my list.

As for those foyou who are screaming "Where's Matt Schaub" or "Where's Tony Romo" or "Where's Matt Ryan" or any other QB, before I even consider them or if they wanna move up, they have to show me not just regular season greatness(that means you Romo and Rivers), they also have to show me some great playoff performances as well.

Lastly, because I KNOW someone is gonna say this, as for Eli Manning, let's face it, he's just not that great. Sure he's a SB Champ, and he's been pretty good since 08, but he's thrown 49 Ints in that span, and really hasn't won anything since then. Then throw in the fact that he's gone to 1 Pro-Bowl in 7 years, he just does not crack my list.

• 33 Replies
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Drew Brees has had one bad year. The year before, he was doing amazingly. I'm sure before long, Brees will be in that 3rd spot or possibly even higher. Despite him lacking most other QBs' distance, he has unparalleled accuracy.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

Then throw in the fact that he's gone to 1 Pro-Bowl in 7 years, he just does not crack my list.

Ok but the pro bowl doesn't mean much. He might have not wanted to go and just denied going like Larry Fitzgerald did a few years ago and everyone knows what a great receiver he is.
pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Lastly, because I KNOW someone is gonna say this, as for Eli Manning, let's face it, he's just not that great.

This is probably the only thing I agree with. He doesn't deserve his ring. I hate both the Giants and the Patriots from the bottom of my heart, and I hope Tom Brady tears his ACL, but Brady got scammed. That "catch" was terrible to watch, and watching Eli win a Super Bowl was very painful. He's just an overpaid, untalented athlete. He throws so many interceptions and he chokes under pressure. The complete opposite of his brother Peyton, who I believe is the greatest of all time, Brady's just the best right now. We'll see how Vick performs this year, since he kinda choked too. Rodgers is very good, Brees is good, and... Seriously, Big Ben? He did terrible in the Super Bowls he was in, his team just came out on top. Look at his passer rating in the SB against the Seahawks. Philip Rivers should be higher too. He's REALLY good. His record just doesn't show it.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

This is probably the only thing I agree with. He doesn't deserve his ring. I hate both the Giants and the Patriots from the bottom of my heart

Who doesn't hate the Patriots?
The complete opposite of his brother Peyton, who I believe is the greatest of all time,

I agree, Peyton is consistent. He does mess up sometimes with the interceptions but not as the interception maniac, Eli.
pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

Who doesn't hate the Patriots?

Patriots fans. But I'm a Jets fan so that gives me even more of a reason to hate them.
Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

Alright, pauler94, here is why Philip Rivers is only 7th.

He's had great regular season success, no one can deny this. And if you do I'm guessing ur not a football fan, or not very smart.

But look at his playoff stats.

In all 7 of his career playoff games, he has thrown at least 1 Interception. 3 times in the playoffs he threw 0 TDs, but threw at least 1 pick, and in 4 of those 7 playoff games he's thrown more picks than TDs. Then throw in the fact his QB rating is all of 79.2 in the playoffs, he just doesn't go any higher on my list until he can make some playoff noise.

What I'm seeing from him is "the next Dan Marino". Of course, he's still got plenty of time to shake that off, afterall, Peyton Manning did it, but until then he is not moving up my list. And depending on what players like a Matt Ryan or Tony Romo do next season, he could fall even lower than just 7th.

Now as for Big Ben, I was expecting a few skeptics. But what more do you want from him? He completes better than 63% of his passes, has a 92.5 Rating, and has 2 rings.

Your arguement is that he didn't deserve those rings. I agree with you that he shouldn't have won that 1st ring. He had a 22.1 Rating in that game.

BUT look at his other ring. He had a 93.2 Rating in it, completed 70% of his passes, and he threw a 4th Qtr TD to give the Steelers he win.

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

He's had great regular season success, no one can deny this. And if you do I'm guessing ur not a football fan, or not very smart.

13-3 in 09. Won 12 straight I think? Or 11 straight. Either way he was sick that year. Choked against the Jets.
In all 7 of his career playoff games, he has thrown at least 1 Interception. 3 times in the playoffs he threw 0 TDs, but threw at least 1 pick, and in 4 of those 7 playoff games he's thrown more picks than TDs

Ah, so your list is heavily based on playoff/Super Bowl experience. Ok, I can see why Brady's on top, and Big Ben as well. Tony Romo sucks on both sides of the spectrum. He's ok in the regular season, but he's pretty inconsistent. And then in the playoffs, he chokes, and had only 1 win in his career.
Your arguement is that he didn't deserve those rings. I agree with you that he shouldn't have won that 1st ring. He had a 22.1 Rating in that game.

I think the Seahawks should've won that game. The refs were in favor the Steelers. Same with the Tuck Rule in that infamous game where the Pats came out on top over the Raiders. But that's just my opinion.
As for SB XLIII, I think that Big Ben got lucky. I have no idea how James Harrison was able to return that interception from one end zone to the other, but he did. And then that Santonio Holmes catch was incredibly lucky as well, in my opinion.
Zultimategamer2000
Zultimategamer2000
430 posts
Nomad

Well pauler94, you sort of have to look at playoff success to determine these guys rankings. And why is that? Look at the single season avg's from the top 4 in my list and Rivers, and Tony Romo just to show you that he is great in the reg. season.

*Note* Some of their seasons were injury riddled, so I am gonna do projections for seasons that were not full 16 game seasons to make them 16 game seasons(provided they played at least 5 games healthy), and then divide by the number of starting seasons, so the numbers you see here are as accurate as I could possibly make them.

Brady: 3860 Yds, 29 TDs, 11 Ints, 63.6 comp%, 95.2 Rate

Manning: 4217 Yds, 30 TDs, 15 INts, 64.9 comp%, 94.9 Rate

Rodgers: 4131 Yds, 28 TDs, 10 Ints, 64.4 comp%, 98.4 Rate

Brees: 4000 Yds, 26 TDs, 15 Ints, 65.2 comp%, 91.7 Rate

Rivers: 3902 Yds, 27 TDs, 11 Ints, 63.7 comp%, 97.2 Rate

Romo: 4304 yds, 30 TDs, 19 Ints, 64.1 comp%, 95.5 Rate

As you can tell, their single season avg's tell us very little except that they all do very well in the regular season, and that trying to figure out who's best based on that alone is not enough. That is why you'll notice that, for the most part, those with good playoff success will be higher up on my list of best QBs than those with little success.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

despite multiple injuries EVERYWHERE

I bet packers had more injuries. We had 17 starters down by the time we hoisted our trophy.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

*holds rugby ball*

Once again I find myself surrounded by Yanks.

vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

I bet packers had more injuries. We had 17 starters down by the time we hoisted our trophy.

All their effort is work pulled them through. I'm happy they won, the Steelers...meh
*holds rugby ball*

:/
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

:/

Oh don't worry, I pay attention to most sports. I still care about the Rugby World Cup more.

NFL season starts in September right?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

It's okay knight, I know about as much about this stuff as you do, if not less. Except I've been living in the US and A my entire life.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

NFL season starts in September right?

Preseason starts on August 11 and regular season starts on September 8.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

It's okay knight, I know about as much about this stuff as you do, if not less. Except I've been living in the US and A my entire life.

I'm glad I have company, but disappointed that it's you...

Just kidding.

Preseason starts on August 11 and regular season starts on September 8.

Sounds great.

NBA > NHL > NFL > MLB > NRA > MLS
Showing 1-15 of 33