ForumsThe TavernWhen does summer stop being summer?

30 4581
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Summer used to be a time for students to get a break from going to school. Now though, it seems that all the summer homework, chores, sport training, and jobs make it seem not so different from the school year. What are your thoughts?

• 30 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Well, sports training and jobs are your choice, so if that's how you want to spend your break, then it's your decision. It's a break from school to do what you want, so go get a job or play practice a sport. Summer homework on the other hand, i despise deeply. In my school, they make you write an essay that they don't even check, i could just go hand in a page full of random words. They also gave me 3 reading assignments. I could understand one reading assignment for english, so that you can get started right away, but every year they just keep adding more.

ClockworkAmelia
ClockworkAmelia
54 posts
Farmer

I don't see how this is new. Kids working for summer has been standard practice since the break came into existence. There's probably a heavier emphasis on academics than there used to be, but to compensate, I think there's actually less pressure, in general, for kids to get jobs. And sport training--isn't that supposed to be fun?

Not to mention, the real world doesn't get a summer break. :/

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Uh well I like not having school. No homework, no tests, I can do what ever the heck I want
And I guess summer stops being summer when the leaves fall from the trees and days get shorter and it gets colder.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

The 21st of September.

But if you're a guy like me who wants to get through college ASAP, then you also put summer school in the mix of your career. But how fun is it to spend the summer sitting on your duff at home being a vegetable? Never!

supersmiley
supersmiley
842 posts
Nomad

when you feel like you want to go back to school

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

It's when the enjoyment of the sunshine ends.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

For me, summer ends when there's no hot weather and I'm back in school. Considering I'll be out of school and probably in college sometime soon, or in the military, I'll take summer ending as when there's no more hot weather. Such as weather above eighty five degrees, that's how it is most of the summer where I live.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Summer ends when you hear that most annoying sound they could come up with.

TheAtheist
TheAtheist
132 posts
Peasant

Summer ends when you start stressing about going back to school.

sambam
sambam
452 posts
Nomad

when i go to registration for school summer ends

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I get summer break the first week in June, i return to college the first week in October.
My lecturers don't assign summer reading - it's recommended but not necessary: so summer to me is a solid four months.

However does working a job full time during summer take summer away?

Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

For me it is after school starts and the leaves start to change colors. The temperature is not so hot, probably only the sixties and mid-seventies instead of the mid-eights and nineties. I have never had any sort of summer assignment so, I don't really worry about that. I will be a senior in highschool this year. Then, next summer, my friends and I are going on a cross-country road trip. (We have been saving up since sixth grade. We promised each other it was something we would do.) So, back to school doesn't really bother me at all this year.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

I had a really short one this year. After finals, I had a week off and then I started Driver's Ed/ BTW. After a few weeks of that (it ended near the middle of July) I started my summer reading and online posting (it's a pain though, because unlike on armorgames, you get graded for your posts...you also have to make at least 3 a month). Piling onto the summer homework, I have a math packet for Algebra w. Trig. And the last two or so weeks of my summer is dedicated to cross country training. Last summer, I read a short novel and did a Geometry packet and thought that was bad!

notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

Summer stops being summer when you stop having a lot of fun and enjoying doing nothing and want to go back to school.

Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

September 21st. For me, school starts September 8th this year, so some people might think of it as ending then.

Showing 1-15 of 30