ForumsThe TavernWhat's worse: A guilty man not going to jail, or an innocent man going to jail?

60 9185
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

I'm just wondering what other people think and why they think that. I can't really decide.

• 60 Replies
Seroph
Seroph
54 posts
Scribe

It's the same exact thing! When a guilty man doesn't go to jail that means an innocent man does. And wait for it......... When an innocent main goes to jail, it means the guilty guy is still prowling the streets and doing god knows what.

Not true--in fact, rarely ever is this true. Not every court case or crime leads to a guilty verdict. Just because someone gets a guilty person gets off the hook does not mean someone else will be punished. Also, just because an innocent man gets convicted of a crime never committed does not necessarily mean someone else gets away with the crime.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

I have to say the innocent man going to jail cauz I don't think that's right. The other guy will be caught eventually. I mean, there r people like that out there right now

I am going to agree with PickPocket
This is just a natural thought for me.
nickthepwn
nickthepwn
130 posts
Nomad

I can't really pick which is worse, because they often go hand-in-hand. Often, when an innocent person is jailed, they stop looking for the guilty man. In many cases, this means that both an innocent person is jailed and a criminal is free to go.

needLife
needLife
22 posts
Nomad

i think that an innocent man going to jail is worse

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

An innocent man going to jail. That would mean many years would be taken away just because of a crime you didn't commit. Years that could have been used to enjoy life.

divy1324
divy1324
433 posts
Nomad

Think of it like this: X and Y were having a fight over a lollypop. X bit Y and stole the lollypop. Y got a time out for... well nothing!!!!!
( BTW im using 4 year olds!)

So an innocent 4 year old or man going to jail or time out is worse.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

When an innocent man goes to jail.

I believe everybody eventually gets what they deserve. The guilty man not going to jail will get his comeuppance. The innocent man will never get that time back.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,143 posts
Nomad

For me a lack of justice is nowhere near as bad a injustice. Look at it this way, either way the bad guy gets away with it right? If an innocent man goes to prison, the one who did it is out there still, if no one goes to prison, hes out there still. Surely better for the criminal to get away with it and no one be punished, than the criminal get away with it, and someone innocent get punished?

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

For me a lack of justice is nowhere near as bad a injustice. Look at it this way, either way the bad guy gets away with it right? If an innocent man goes to prison, the one who did it is out there still, if no one goes to prison, hes out there still. Surely better for the criminal to get away with it and no one be punished, than the criminal get away with it, and someone innocent get punished?

Good point! I guess in a way there bothe equal. It all depends on how you see it. I'm with the OP and I say I can't decide.
Chake1
Chake1
51 posts
Nomad

i would have to say a guilty man not going to jail, just because it means that the killer is loose and it could kill ten more people. so 1 guy wrongly done, or 10 guys murdered, at least with the 1 guy it just isn't all THAT long

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

i would have to say a guilty man not going to jail, just because it means that the killer is loose and it could kill ten more people. so 1 guy wrongly done, or 10 guys murdered, at least with the 1 guy it just isn't all THAT long

But if the innocent man went to jail in his place, the real killer is still out there.
Chake1
Chake1
51 posts
Nomad

your right, but that would defeat the question there,
that is like saying good guy gets killed and bad guy gets away scot free, its one or the other in this question

Chake1
Chake1
51 posts
Nomad

hmm, you have a good point regulator

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

if a guilty man doesnt go to jail, at least he benefits from that. if an innocent man goes to jail, nobody wins.

eddyalex
eddyalex
307 posts
Nomad

I think an Innocent man going to jail is worse, because while he is in jail the guilty man is just like walking around in the streets doing what he wants. Even though the police will still hunt the guilty man, while they are doing that the innocent guy stays in jail, which i've got to say is pretty unfair. So yeah an innocent man going to jail is a lot worse

Showing 16-30 of 60