ForumsThe TavernWhat's worse: A guilty man not going to jail, or an innocent man going to jail?

60 9184
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

I'm just wondering what other people think and why they think that. I can't really decide.

• 60 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

If an innocent person went to jail, that would be worse. They didn't even do anything, but when a guilty person does something they get away. ... I'm kind of sleepy now, but you know what I'm getting at.

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Not both at the same time.

a guilty man not going to jail is what happens if you put a innocent man in jail.

it just go's that way.
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

This is sort of like a glass half-empty half-full question, I say an innocent man going to jail is worse.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

I'm just wondering what other people think and why they think that. I can't really decide.

Depends on the level of guilt and why the person is actually guilty of whatever, but I'd say innocent people going to jail is worse.

I agree with the above posts; facing a punishment for a crime never committed is horrible.  Not only do you have to sit in jail, but you're also permanently branded as a convicted felon for the rest of your life.  I can't imagine losing everything I've worked for because of something out of my control.

Agreed.

and they are essentially outcasts from society because of all the negative press they've received.

The Media is a terrible thing when you feed it unintentionally.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

The imprisonment of an innocent is much worse, when a criminal is still free they have a chance of being caught, especially if they're the kind that has the urge to keep committing crimes. When an innocent is jailed, it ruins their lives, depending on what they're convicted of, after all there is a reason job applications say "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?"

Nater
Nater
1,296 posts
Nomad

The latter, for all above reasons

aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

Guilty man not going cause then he will continue to kill people or rob banks and then he turns into a super terrorist and atks the whole world with A GIANT NUCLEAR BOMB AND IT WILL OnLY BE DEACTIVATED IF THEY RELEASE EVERY BAD GUY IN THE WORLD AND EVERY ONE WILL DIE

that could happen

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,482 posts
Shepherd

An innocent man going to jail is by far much worse. A guilty man not in jail just shows that our system is working towards improving our security, an innocent man in jail shows there's a flaw in it that we have to fix, all the while wondering what other problems we are causing.
Also, guilty people deserve what they get. If they are not in jail, they are being hunted, if they are not being hunted, they are being looked down upon, if nobody knows what they did, there is still some sort of anxiety, worry, or guilt eating at them.
Whereas an innocent man is probably just confounded in rage and desperation. Every time I read a story about some 20 year old that ended up in jail for 30 years it depresses me -- to think some people lose their entire lives in jail.

hokzwijn
hokzwijn
511 posts
Peasant

Innocent in jail. They'll get the guilty one eventually but I think it's a lot harder to get an innocent guy out of jail.

HOCKEYBOY10
HOCKEYBOY10
158 posts
Nomad

THAT'S THE SAME EXACT THING The Guilty guy doesn't go to jail and he gets freed. So the INNOCENT guy goes to jail. So either one you choose the OTHER CHOICE STILL HAPPENS.

naknakattack
naknakattack
10 posts
Nomad

innocent man in jail

Cranium80
Cranium80
489 posts
Shepherd

definitely an innocent man going to jail. That's why in north america you're "innocent until proven guilty"

RickersXS
RickersXS
80 posts
Nomad

If the innocent man wasn't punished for the crime then no one would be and theres no justice in that

gamer1111111
gamer1111111
204 posts
Farmer

The innocent man should definately not go to jail.Even if the guilty one gets away, he will still die just like all of us and get what he deserves.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I have to say the two are equal:

In our judicial system, once a man is proven innocent, he can't be charged for that crime again.

But if an innocent man is found guilty and and put in jail, then we've got a man who did nothing in jail and the man who did commit the crime running around freely to do whatever he wants.

Showing 31-45 of 60