ForumsThe Tavernwhat do you think, what is normal?

41 8322
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

does an universal-normality exist? or does someone say what normal is and what now? why? and what is normal/unnormal for you?

• 41 Replies
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

I'd say that the "normal" way of life is the one used by more people. There is nothing wrong with it, as long as there will be differences there will always be a majority. The problem is that we think too often that the normal (average) thing is the best and the only one that deserve to exist, and so we start discriminating the minorities. But apart for that, there is nothing wrong with the word normal.

TRUdog
TRUdog
1,031 posts
Nomad

Normal is simply the status quo. Fitting in. Doing this thing with that person. Going with the flow.

In my opinion, no one wants to be normal. Everybody wants to do this amazing thing, or have this certain hobby. That's why everybody calls themselves 'weird'. I haven't met one teen that doesn't think of themselves as 'weird', when in reality, they are normal. So is weird the new normal?

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Normal is basically what the most people on Earth are like.

So is weird the new normal?

Or is normal the new weird? O.o
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

for me does normal not exist. everyone is a freak. to answer your question, trudog: normality is weird and the weirdness is normal.

does anyone know the german movie "angus full kewl/cool" its about a young boy who gets bullied. he has a theory (the same as i have) that there is no normal. you can be a lone wolf or you can adapt yourself to the others.

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

This thread confuses me so. but yeah i don't think normal exists.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Everything is normal because that is how it is supposed to be. Whenever somebody says that something is abnormal they're probably not used to seeing that type of thing or they don't understand the full concept of what they just experienced.

Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,078 posts
Nomad

Normal is a concept developed by an individual that describes plainness. What is normal to one person could be desirable or outright strange to another. Normal is an opinion, therefore does not exist.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

For me, what's normal is breathing, eating, and drinking. For everything else, that all varies.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

What is normal? Well let's look at the definition.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/normal
: perpendicular; especially : perpendicular to a tangent at a point of tangency
a : according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle b : conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern
: occurring naturally <normal immunity>
a : of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence or development b : free from mental disorder : sane
a of a solution : having a concentration of one gram equivalent of solute per liter b : containing neither basic hydroxyl nor acid hydrogen <normal silver phosphate> c : not associated <normal molecules> d : having a straight-chain structure <normal butyl alcohol>
of a subgroup : having the property that every coset produced by operating on the left by a given element is equal to the coset produced by operating on the right by the same element
: relating to, involving, or being a normal curve or normal distribution <normal approximation to the binomial distribution>
of a matrix : having the property of commutativity under multiplication by the transpose of the matrix each of whose elements is a conjugate complex number with respect to the corresponding element of the given matrix

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

What is normal to one person could be desirable or outright strange to another. Normal is an opinion, therefore does not exist.

i agree! thats what i think, too.

TheAznSensation
TheAznSensation
9 posts
Nomad

It depends on what context you're speaking in
On a broader scale, humans are quite 'normal' in terms of how we develop and the way we react to certain situations
but on the other hand if we take a closer look at certain aspects of various areas there is a great deal of variation of 'normal'

On a personal level, I consider no one and everyone normal, including myself

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

It depends on what context you're speaking in

i meant that everyone says what its for him/her normal. if enough people with the same thoughts form a big enough group, what can you then do if youre not "normal" (the normal they define).

but on the other hand if we take a closer look at certain aspects of various areas there is a great deal of variation of 'normal'

youre right, there so many different variations of normal. what for the one is normal can be weird for another one.

TheAznSensation
TheAznSensation
9 posts
Nomad

i meant that everyone says what its for him/her normal. if enough people with the same thoughts form a big enough group, what can you then do if youre not "normal" (the normal they define).

I assume you would find other people who identify against the 'normal', and create your own 'normal' or eventually conform to being 'normal'
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

I assume you would find other people who identify against the 'normal', and create your own 'normal' or eventually conform to being 'normal'

maybe your right. but im not against normal, even if it sounds so. my theory is that there is no normal "normal". if i would say its normal for dogs to talk and walk like humans you would maybe either think im insane or that it isnt normal for dogs to speak like you and i, and thats what i try to say: there are many different specifications what normal is and what not. but a normality where everyone agree that it is so how it is does not exist (ever seen the movie where a guy, living in a world without lies, the possibility to lie explored and lied?).

KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

i don't think normal exists.

Definition for normal: Adjective: Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

Normal definitely exists.
Showing 1-15 of 41