ForumsWEPRWho else is an Atheist?

77 13483
Eric_Cartman
Eric_Cartman
100 posts
Nomad

if are an atheist post here.
if u not an atheist just post and say what u are.

• 77 Replies
clipmaster3
clipmaster3
104 posts
Nomad

@strategy_guy
if you're a kid growing up in a household where every sunday, both of your parents go off to church, don't you think you're eventually going to go with them? Just out of curiousity? It's not a matter of whether or not parents force it on their children, it's just a matter of them being exposed to it routinely.

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

@clipmaster3:
Eventually....in my own experience....no. I've never gone to church with my parents. They didn't try to convice us to go, me or my brothers, they let us choose. For some familys it is a neccesity but for those familys that can choose to take or not to take your kids you should ask them first.

donosld
donosld
70 posts
Nomad

Sorry if this is going back awhile but to answer Woody7007, You probably haven't heard what I have about the Big Bang because NOBODY wants to admit that they were wrong. Too many Ph.D.s have been given out for research into the Big Bang, and saying "oops we were wrong" would cause too much of a ripple within the scientific community. There are some "rogue" scientists who share the same views as I do, but the mainstream still holds steady to the Big Bang.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I am Christian and proud.

Although i do respect your opinion and people have the right to believe what they want.

Although i am indeed a devoted Christian i must admit that i have had my doubts occasionally.

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

@kanethebrain
I understand your point, but i was just a little confused because you went from saying that you were a "christian" because your parents made you go, and then followed it by making a general statement about forcing religon on people. I made that connection, instead of the connection to all of society.

When come back, bring reading comprehension.

??talking to me?? Cuz if you are asking me to bring reading comprehension to a discussion...i don't even really need to say it do i? (bring some typing skills, and some grammar *sticks tongue out*)
kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@eyetwitch: No, I was definitely talking to you. Never once in my post did I mention my parents. Hell, *I* made them take me to church a few times when I was a theist.

And why the scare quotes around Christian? I was one; it's not something I'm proud of, but it's true.

I'll go ahead and point out that the paragraph where you choose to castigate my typing skills is full of misspellings, bad capitalization, and overuse of punctuation. If you're going to take issue with me calling you on a misunderstanding, at least do so gracefully and intelligently.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

@all athiest, you guys are dumbest people on AG because you can't tell logic or reason. Plus you high intolerable and arrogant.

*throws up* rofl copter. soi soi soi soi soi.

Cough* thats funny stuff, man. Sarcasm is quite entertaining. Thanks.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Ricador wrote:

Although i am indeed a devoted Christian i must admit that i have had my doubts occasionally.

Thank you for sharing that! In such a tense, divisive environment, this is definitely one thing that tends to be downplayed, but is probably an excellent source of insight.

Might you tell us more about how these doubts manifest? What is it that affects faith and conviction?
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

@donsold im quite interested to find out about what you are saying are there any links to websites u know of?

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

@kanethebrain
I won't explain my Quotes on christian, cuz i don't know how to work around a couple logical fallacies in explaining myself, hence waste of my time.

Lol ummm, i just realized what a massive mistake i made, i combined your original post with someone else's within my mind. My bad...*walks away in shame*

donosld
donosld
70 posts
Nomad

Well Woody, this doesn't really cover ALL of my ideas, just a few of them but....

Arax_Nisanu
Arax_Nisanu
1,305 posts
Nomad

I think people believe in God for two reasons:
1st: they were taught to believe in Him and never thought to question, to them it's all a matter of faith. Or if they did question they found that the "miracles" and the bible took all of their doubts away (and they should be ashamed because they questioned it in the first place!!).
2nd: They need something to believe in. Something that makes what happens to them have a reason. It's harder to believe that someone died because they just did.It's easier to think that a higher entity wanted the persons life to end. And this is just an example it could be because of anything else. I know some people who became complete believers after some hardship.

There is nothing wrong in not believing in God. I believe that , since most of the current conceptions of God and religion are men made they are flawed and probably untrue. Besides you shouldn't do things because you are afraid of being punished by a divine entity, yo shouldn't do them because they are wrong. Moral aren't in any way attached to religion it they were the pope would have sold the gold roof in S. Peter's Cathedral and given it to the poor. But he hasn't has he??

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

and they should be ashamed because they questioned it in the first place!!).

I'm sorry but, i can't quite understand your meaning here. Are you saying that it is bad that they doubt, or that they believe their doubt is bad?
Lain
Lain
176 posts
Nomad

I think he is saying that doubt is bad. I am an aetheist, but sometimes i get in trouble for it because my family is strongly catholic. it's really irritatin when you question some pointless thing the church says, and people look at you like you said that torturing kittens is fun.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@eyetwitch: Andrew Jackson said it takes a big man to admit his mistakes. You're doing good to admit when you're off, and I appreciate it. Makes your other arguments that much stronger know that people know you have integrity.

@Lain: I know what you mean. It's really frustrating to comment that you don't believe in god, and the response is "Then who is protecting you from Satan?!" Talk about missing the point. It's a worldview you have to change to talk to some fundies.

Showing 61-75 of 77