ForumsWEPRWho else is an Atheist?

77 13485
Eric_Cartman
Eric_Cartman
100 posts
Nomad

if are an atheist post here.
if u not an atheist just post and say what u are.

• 77 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Okay, I think the easy pickings has been exploited enough xD

What I want to see here is "why are you an atheist"? I'm not looking for "because religion is dumb" so much as...

I am an atheist (well, I'm not...I'm agnostic...but I'm non-theist, so let's go with that)...because while I had a superficially religious background as a child, it was not institutionalised and when I started to ask my own questions about the nature of God and being in general, these questions were not answered adequately by those whom I associated with a religious outlook, despite their strong beliefs. This breakdown in communication compelled me to draw my own conclusions independently of religion.

Now the tensions and the pressure I perceive from religious elements discourages me from considering subscribing again. Furthermore I also haven't had much of a spiritual background, which is a major emphasis of the religious elements I'm most exposed to.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

'donsold for his earlier poest if the fact that the big bang did not happen was true then why has no one heard anything about it? or are you just special?

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Strop and I are in the same sort of boat, I might just be sitting at a different end.

I am more of an agnostic than anything. I have an *IDEA* that there might be some sort of higher power that has helped kick start things.

I am, however, very against religion. I love to study religion, but it really all seems primitive to me. I am more exposed to Christianity, so I can use that as my examples.

I love, love, love reading the other theories and stories on Christianity (Dead Sea Scrolls, Jesus Papers, etc). They show exactly how Christianity is wrong this day in age and is based on false notions, lies, and deceit. It is very scary to me. I don't want to be associated with that type of organization.

As an Agnostic, it is clear that I just don't think we, as humans, have the power to understand it all and because of that we shouldn't claim that such things (Biblical law, morality based on religion, stories of the past) are 100% true. I don't understand why people can't just read things and take it for what it is?

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

The definition of agnostic is someone who isnt religious but is open to the concept of religion. It doesn't sound like that is what you are asherlee

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Note that I say I am more of an Agnostic than anything. But I haven't seen a definition of Agnostic that says they are open to the concept of religion. That isn't what Agnosticism is about...

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Definition of Agnostic:

1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2: a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something &ltolitical agnostics>

taken from: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agnostic

Now it comes down to a question of whether or not you can believe something that you know that you cannot know, but even such a term as "God" is either a) so broadly defined it does no one any good or b) so narrowly defined it only applies to one religion, or sect.

friar_zero
friar_zero
3 posts
Nomad

Actually agnosticism and theism/atheism are not mutually exclusive. Huxley Agnosticism does deal with the rejection of the very question of god's existence. However agnosticism by itself refers to knowledge while theism and atheism refer to belief. One can have a belief without certainty.

Further thoughts on agnostic atheism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_atheism
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Agnostic
http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Atheism

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

I've had very little exposure to religion as well, we stopped going regularly after I was in third grade. Though I have very little exposure, I still believe in the religion, but maybe because of that I'm not narrow minded (ie evolution is LIES/ big bang theory?lol wat?)

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

I'm also an atheist.

I used to be Catholic. That lasted until I was about 14. It wasn't that I wanted to stop believed. Heck, I desperatly wanted to continue being a theist. There's a god watching over me? Prayer can affect the world around me? There's a Heaven to go to after I die? It really does sound nice.

Unfortunately, the evidence of my own senses paired with a burgeoning sense of logic forced me away from this view. Kicking and screaming, I was drug into the harsh light of reality. It wasn't pleasant, having your entire belief structure crash down around you from the inside out.

In the end, I suppose I've come to terms with the fact that the only person I have watching out for me is myself, the only way I affect the world is through my actions, and after I die I will cease to exist. Maybe I'm happier throwing off the shackles of religion. It's definitely opened up some more time on Sunday mornings.

Does this make me better or worse than theists? Neither. Maybe I have fewer false beliefs. Maybe I'm happier than some and less happy than others. I can understand why people would cling to their faith. I just wish we'd can it, so we'd stop forcing this beliefs on young people and making them go through the same agony of denying your faith all over again.

partayyperson
partayyperson
80 posts
Nomad

athiest i believe in science lol

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

@kanethebrain
you would accuse parents of " so we'd stop forcing this beliefs on young people " lol its your parents...its their right, and pretty much unavoidable, they can't leave you at home while they go to church from the ages like 1-10...

@partayyperson
<<----Christian, i too believe in science, "lol"

Flamegoat
Flamegoat
34 posts
Nomad

Ya im an Atheist too. I used to be Catholic when I was like..9 years old. The one thing that I think is weird of me to say(a lot) is "Oh my God" or "Jesus Christ." My friends and I at my school (who are also Atheist) just started saying "Jebus," it's actually pretty funny to say.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

flamegoat once I said "cheese and rice"-"jesus christ" and this one fundamentalist teacher got really ticked at me for saying it LOL, anyways, watch what you say like that some people go ballistic

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@eyetwitch: I think you missed my point. Of course it is the parent's right to raise their children in their religion. I would prefer the parent *didn't* have a religion so they *wouldn't* raise their children in it.

When come back, bring reading comprehension.

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

Parents don't have to not have have a religion in my opinion but they need to not force it on there child. They should allow the child to choose. Now of course the child won't care at the time but as he grows and matures he will relize the growing need for a religion or the lack there of. Forcing religion onto people has been a major issue for everyone. Athesitis to it to christians, christians do it to muslims and so on and so forth.

Showing 46-60 of 77