Nomad

Pros - a sense of acomplishment

Cons - leading people to posting and commenting for the sake of points

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Pros-showing your activity and involvement in the community

Cons-spamming and random rating(see ranks on homepage)

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Pros- Indicates how much you've contributed to AG.

Cons- Some users posting/rating just to get points.

I think it's a good system because when someone new sees a high ranking or a lot of posts, they know that the person isn't just trolling or spamming and can help them out.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Pros- Makes you stick around to see what new pretty picture you will get next time you rank, also it shows that you are dedicated to the site.
Cons- Spammers, but you can pretty much tell who is spamming and report their posts.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Pros - Satisfies the number freak and pack rat in me.

Cons - Spam. Which is irritating and needs to be taken off.

Apart from that, what's there to discuss?

JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,747 posts
Peasant

Pros - a sense of acomplishment

I say the same. But I spell it accomplishment.

Cons - People may get jealous of each other.

Apart from that, what's there to discuss?

Does it need to be a discuss?
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Does it need to be a discuss?

Discussion is obviously better than spam, but we shouldn't get off-topic. Therefore, I will say the following:

Pros: A way to see how active a user is/was, especially when the average per day is taken.

Cons: People tend to spam for AP. I have heard this action called "AP farming."
schuetteg6
schuetteg6
270 posts
Nomad

I am in the Community of AG everyday, I only accidently spammed twice.

Pros: Lets you see your progress to getting top rank.
Cons: May get out of hand with people who want to only rank up and not have fun.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

I am in the Community of AG everyday, I only accidently spammed twice.

So the rest was deliberate?
More seriously, it would be nice if you started listening to advice at some point on the thread making so at least I won't go crazy...

As for points. Points are good for... Uh, no, I don't know what they are good for. I don't care about points, I haven't cared about points for the last... 3 years. I don't see a point in them, I am sure other people that care about points to, so that is good for them, but besides that they are just there to make newbies ask about them, and some people be really annoying about them, whine when they lose them, and go accuse mods for removing them without reason, especially if we had no doing in so.
As for cons, see above.

I like the post count, however. It seems like a more accurate score for useful activity, considering what most people use the comments for, and how little the rating really does (since people who hate a certain genre will still go rate games in that genre because they are ... on the internet or whatever).

So, I look forward to AG3, when points is something I don't need to interact with in most cases.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

Pros-show how active you are and you might get satisfaction from that.
Cons- other users might get jealous or angry and spam to just get AP.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

Pros - Each time you level up, there's a new AP goal ahead of you to work towards.

Cons - People start inane threads and make dumb posts to get APs without actually putting forth the effort to earn them.

Either/or - Threads on them drive Cenere nuts. >
(Yeah, I try not to miss a chance to give a good ribbing)

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Cons - People start inane threads and make dumb posts to get APs without actually putting forth the effort to earn them.

Actually....spam just gets deleted.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

True that

Pros: Active users that don't spam, and give productive criticism and comments, and also help the newbies

Cons: Useless spammers that don't result to any good whatsoever, spamming on threads, spamming with ratings, and put on 3 letter long comments on games.
CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

True that

Yes, but they still try...

Pros: AP allows you to track your progression and development in the world of AG.

Cons: There's probably some people who try to use the APs to lord themselves over others. (I think the term is "troll?"...)
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Either/or - Threads on them drive Cenere nuts. >

Oh you.

One question: Why do you all stick to the Pro/con format when you would obviously be able to drive your points home better doing regular posts?

Cons: There's probably some people who try to use the APs to lord themselves over others. (I think the term is "troll?"...)

I think the term you are looking for is "Idiot".

I think I got a pro to my long list of cons!
Armatars!
Not that this is anything I care about either, but it enables others to wear them, and that makes everyone easier to recognise, at least if they don't change all the time.
Of course, the downside to armatars are the users that will go ask why I don't have a "real" armatar...
Nevermind, that was not a pro either.
Showing 1-15 of 51