ForumsThe TavernArachnophobia

57 9909
KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

Ever since i've been seeing tons of spiders in my basement, i've had a huge fear of spiders. I don't know what it is about them, but whenever I see one I feel like it's going to start crawling on me... Everything about them just creeps me out (mostly their faces).

I was wondering, does anybody else here on Ag have Arachnophobia (or know anybody who has it?)

• 57 Replies
WolfWolf
WolfWolf
800 posts
Nomad

I'm extremely terrified of spiders. Whenever I see a picture of one or see one in a video game I get goosebumps everywhere and scream as loud as I can. If I see a rather small one I jump up and get out of the area. If I see a huge one then I run for my life while screaming. I hate how they just stop and stare at you. Other things would walk away but spiders stop and stare at you with those eyes.

I read somewhere (Having difficulties finding sources today), It's proven no one, in any given time, is farther than 3 feet from a spider.

Great. Now I can either, (A)start a colony on the moon, or (B)Tough it up and get rid of my arachnophobia. Guess I'm going with A unless spiders can survive on the moon.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I hate how they just stop and stare at you. Other things would walk away but spiders stop and stare at you with those eyes.

Did you forget about flies? Flies are 10x creepier then spiders. Not only will they stare at you, but they sometimes rub their legs together.

I'm generally not afriad of spiders. Cautious, but not afraid. If I see one I'd rather not kill it, but move it away from my general area.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I don't really like spiders, but I don't fear them either. I just find them dirty.

I'll have to disagree, spiders can be very tidy animals.

I'm generally not all too fond of small things crawling on me, be them insects or spiders.. but I'm fascinated by spiders, I have birdspiders in my room (in terras of course). They're beautiful, elegant animals.

I have a friend though with a quite big arachnophobia, every spider bigger than a few millimeters give her the creeps^^
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Some time of spiders definitely aren't harmless.

In rare occasions, one will find himself in the jaws of a dangerous spider. Most of the time, however, the spiders you see are harmless. Yahoo Answers gave me this little tidbit:

No one has died from spider venom in the United States in the past 100 years. Only two people die per year from spider bites and that is caused by an allergic reaction.

I'm not saying you should go out and let every spider you see bite you, but you shouldn't fear them; they're usually not worth fearing.
crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

Uh-uh-uh.... What about Brown widows? I know a guy who... Ugh, nasty story. I'm freaked by spiders. I hate bugs. I don't even like smashing bugs with objects. Except for ants, I love ants, so hilariously epic ants....

Not only will they stare at you, but they sometimes rub their legs together

What he said. Lulz. And they're psychic. They can SENSE there's a flyswatter behind yuor back.... Dun-dun-dun... Lolz.
thecattygrl
thecattygrl
230 posts
Nomad

I used to... But then I realised there were scarrier things... Like open spaces.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

Well I'm not scared of spiders but I am no fan of them either. When I was young I was bit by one and my leg got all hard and stiff where I was bit. The only spider I am scared of is the fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=728&bih=642&sei=%203s61TvP8Bu_HsQLS7tHVAw">brown recluse.
ugh that is sooo nasty.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I camped in an Africa Safari once....wok up and saw a nice furry wolf spider perched in my bathroom smiling at me

alovera1
alovera1
510 posts
Peasant

im not scared of spiders at all i would probably pick up a black widow if it would let me and other people but i love meating people who are scared of spiders cause i like to get those fake ones and like put it on their shoulder or something and watch them freak out its so funny.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

im not scared of spiders at all i would probably pick up a black widow if it would let me

That's not a question of being scared, it's a question of how much sanity you have in you.

i love meating people who are scared of spiders

I really hope that's a typo....
j_c_mooncity
j_c_mooncity
1,060 posts
Nomad

I moved because I lived in had a spider infestation, I almost had a heart attack.

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

I have a healthy respect for spiders. I only dislike the gigantic ones, because they look gross. I had a pet tarantula for about 3 days. My mom threw it out. She has a serious case of arachnophibia.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I had a pet tarantula for about 3 days. My mom threw it out. She has a serious case of arachnophibia.

I'm phoning the SPCA. Btw, what did you feed it?
j_c_mooncity
j_c_mooncity
1,060 posts
Nomad

Owch, agoraphobia, that must be sucky, being afraid of going out side.

buldu
buldu
54 posts
Peasant

I have it after Jeff Hanneman got bit by one.

Showing 16-30 of 57