ForumsThe Tavern[Necro] The Things You Pronounce

40 18026
acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

What things do you pronounce differently from other people? How? Why?

Caramel.

I say it as CAR. A. MELL. (sometimes sounds like MALL). I'm from New York, what did you expect?

• 40 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I pronounce Ke$ha (the singer) as Ka-CHING-ha.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I pronounce things correctly as according to the English language. So...people who pronounce things differently are saying it wrong or rarely I say it wrong.

Some of the more common things I hear are people adding L's after W's (Draw sounds like "Drawl&quot and D's after N's. Other than that I live in a state that doesn't really have an accent.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

My stereotypical Russian accent really messes up most of the (English) words I pronounce. Most words I say make no sense to a native English speaker

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I tend to vary between proper English (trappings of being a cookie cutter student from a top school) and our obnoxious Singaporean accent when I get lazy. We stress wrong syllables, mangle our words, and then toss in a whole plate of our own words that we have scourged from other languages. As a result, Singlish is practically incomprehensible to most foreigners.

Also we add in a lot of peculiar sounds that allows us to sniff out a Singaporean wherever we are in the world.

Hor, Lah, Leh, Meh, Mah, Har, Siah, Siao, they would make the Bard spin in his grave.

I couldn't put into words how we speak, so here's some quick Wiki grabbing.

- Singlish is syllable-timed compared to most traditional varieties of English, which are usually stress-timed. This in turn gives Singlish rather a staccato feel.

- There may be greater movement over individual syllables in Singlish than in other varieties of English. This makes Singlish sound as if it has the tones of Chinese, especially when speakers sometimes maintain the original tones of words that are borrowed into Singlish from Chinese languages.

There has been a good thing to it all:

Generally, these pronunciation patterns are thought to have increased the clarity of Singlish communications between pidgin-level speakers in often noisy environments, and these features were retained in creolization.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I say it as CAR. A. MELL.

I've always pronounced it CAR-muhl. The extra syllable in the standard pronunciation feels unnecessary.

I also pronounce the word "acoustic" as a-COW-stick, but I often read it the normal way. Strange how these things work themselves out.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

cah-rah-mel = THE CORRECT WAY
or kar-uh-muh'l or something. All that I can tell is Ernie pronounces it wrong >:0

I say acoustic the same way as Ernie though so I should probably shut up.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

cah-rah-mel = THE CORRECT WAY

I say it as Care-rer-mel

And I pronounce acoustic as a-coos-stick.
acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

For as long as I can remember, I used to pronounce "both", as "Bolth".

I stopped doing that, maybe, 5 minutes ago...

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

acoustic

Acoustic is pronounced like, "A-coos-stick"

Here's a word that everyone always pronounces wrong where I live. Theater. Everyone always says "Theeter" when it's "the-a-ter."
aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

yellow or as i say lellow

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

yellow or as i say lellow

I would guess that you say all Y's as L's then. Which I've never understood. L /= Y. Why would you make an L sound when you see a Y? "Yell-o" is how you pronounce Yellow btw
Rylo98
Rylo98
22 posts
Nomad

Imagine every word in the English language with a Texan accent

aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

I would guess that you say all Y's as L's then. Which I've never understood. L /= Y. Why would you make an L sound when you see a Y? "Yell-o" is how you pronounce Yellow btw
i was 4 dude and that was the only y that turned into a L. Now i just say every R into a W Ex. Rainbow or what i say Wain/bow
Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

togetic, I say it to-jet-ic. from pokemon. my friends pronounces salmon sal-mon. my 8th grade science teacher pronounces bag like ba-eg or beg. I say not-re dame when it's not-er daum or something like that.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Now i just say every R into a W

Same thing as Y's to L's, just with different letters...

togetic, I say it to-jet-ic. from pokemon

Those letters would sound like toe-geh-tic if prounounced right.

my friends pronounces salmon sal-mon.

Silent L, pronounced sam-mon.
Showing 1-15 of 40