ForumsWEPRRobots Becoming Smarter than Us

56 14578
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

My question is, what do you think would happen if robots became more intelligent than us? Please say why you think that would happen. (BTW They gained this intellegence from the bottom up approach and nothing was preprogramed into them other than the technology to gain and use intellegence with no help from a human)

• 56 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I meant in the sense that it would use logic to deduct that the human race would eventually turn on it, and move to strike by surprise. As for the self terminate, that was the more human option, probably should not have included that.

KMRaider
KMRaider
197 posts
Scribe

Why would a robot attempt to harm humans because of its superior intelligence? I don't understand why this is being assumed, as most smart people don't feel the need to destroy those who are less intelligent.
And if one actually tried to destroy humans for some reason, they would be destroyed. I can't imagine that there would be enough of the robots (being so sophisticated) to actually do much of anything.

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

But cutting off its power would mean "killing" it, and even a cockroach knows that dieing is not a good thing to happen

Well, considering that a robot would have no animal instincts (i.e. an inversion to dying), it wouldn't know that dying even existed until it learned from its environment (assuming the current theory), and even then it wouldn't necessarily equate dying as being a negative.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

As for the self terminate, that was the more human option, probably should not have included that.

Agreed
I meant in the sense that it would use logic to deduct that the human race would eventually turn on it, and move to strike by surprise.

But if the robot dosen't attract any unwanted attention then I dout it will ever have humans turnin on it, the only possibility I can see is if the scientist who made this grand achievement would go on T.V. with it and someone tries to hack the robot and the robot turns on him as an act of self preservation and the media picks it up as "Moody Robot Kills Innocent"
Well, considering that a robot would have no animal instincts (i.e. an inversion to dying), it wouldn't know that dying even existed until it learned from its environment (assuming the current theory), and even then it wouldn't necessarily equate dying as being a negative.

I guess so, but I think that it might since it has access to the whole internet and prolly wouyld learn all about death from there (hopefuly it won't take everything for fact and relize a filtering process before that) Then it would relize that once it no longer has energy being fed to it that it would no longer work, now you're right in that it might not equate dying negative as a bad thing, but then I thinks its a 50 50 since we don't really know if self preservation comes with intelligence or not.
The reason why I say that there is a possibility that self preservation comes with intelligence is that every intelligent being we have has self preservation, plants adapt and animals run away.
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

The reason why I say that there is a possibility that self preservation comes with intelligence is that every intelligent being we have has self preservation, plants adapt and animals run away.

However that is because they have certain animal instincts which tell them, "dying is bad." A robot doesn't have any evolved traits, or instincts, so it could equate dying as actually being good!
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

But wouldn't the internet be considered a part of our envioment? Yes it is a virtual enviroment, but it still is a part of our enviroment.
Also I think the intellegence comes from what the robot will do with the information it has collected or how will it react differently after what it has learned.

remember, a robot is a computer.
if it learns something it will never forget it. so it can take up all the info of the internet and he is done learning from it's enviroment.
it's simply cheating. the robot readed about the problems and how to solve it instead of stumbling upon the problems himself (like a human baby) and learn from doing instead of reading.

But cutting off its power would mean "killing" it,

when you power it again he doesn't lose any of it's memory. (unless you cleared it)

and what is beter?
robots taking over the world or killing the 1st robot whit the ability to do so.

this is a object that is more intellegent than us so it won't just sit back while we kill it

he has to learn what dieing is in the 1st place. (we are talking about a robot that knows nothing and learns righ?) and when his power is turned of he has no ability to learn what happens because there is no power in him.

But then it has the whole internet to its disposal

comes back to the point why would we connect this robot to the internet? it's cheating.

beside your talking about that this robot wants itself to stay alive. but it has no feelings.
it probably will never understand what it is to be alive because a computer can't be alive or have feelings.
he probably will simply not understand what life and dead means for himself.

I guess so, but I think that it might since it has access to the whole internet

connecting this robot to the internet is cheating.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

if it learns something it will never forget it. so it can take up all the info of the internet and he is done learning from it's enviroment.

But how is it done? The internet doesn't contain everything just yet, there are still things that are systematicly taken off the internet or just weren't thought to be put on yet.
it's simply cheating. the robot readed about the problems and how to solve it instead of stumbling upon the problems himself (like a human baby) and learn from doing instead of reading.

But that baby will soon grow and then, like us atm, start searching stuff on the internet to learn about it instead of trying everything itself.
Also before I said that I don't think that it should be using the internet immedietly because, like a baby, it will assume everything on the internet is true and then become conflicted so it will have to first go without the internet and learn from its first hand experiences to be able to use the internet to it's advantage and not its downfall.

when you power it again he doesn't lose any of it's memory. (unless you cleared it)

But then it won't be able to access any of its memory or functions when it has no power.

he has to learn what dieing is in the 1st place. (we are talking about a robot that knows nothing and learns righ?) and when his power is turned of he has no ability to learn what happens because there is no power in him.

But how do we know of dieing? We dont have to die to know it happens, I think that if it has access to the internet it will easily learn about dieing or he will see it (assuming it has sensory functions instaled) happen and have a vague idea of what it is.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

are you serious now, or just trying to keep the debate going whit nonsense?

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I think a robot should be given all the human qualities other then emotions.
We dont want an angry robot right?

crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

You should we worried about robots becoming smarter than mice. Or cats. Or lizards. Or spiders. NOT humans. From the research I've done, you humans are the most advanced race on your planet.

jroyster22
jroyster22
756 posts
Peasant

This is something I may be worrisome about in the near future. I have read a article about how IBM has made a chip comparible to the avg human brain. Imagine in about a decade. Terminator Salvation anyone?

jroyster22
jroyster22
756 posts
Peasant

Comparable** Sorry for the DP

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

@partydevil no im still being serious
@thepunisher I don't think anyone would achieve actually programming all the things required to give emotions to robots
@jroyster what do you mean by its comparable to the human brain, meaning in what way is it?

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

You should we worried about robots becoming smarter than mice. Or cats. Or lizards. Or spiders. NOT humans. From the research I've done, you humans are the most advanced race on your planet.

what do you mean by its comparable to the human brain, meaning in what way is it?

here is how we can compare.
and here is the progress explained thats going on to become more inteligent then humans.

no im still being serious

i'm unable to take it serious in the way you see it.

(btw robots can already learn by trail and error.)
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

2nd here = here

Showing 16-30 of 56