ForumsWEPRRobots Becoming Smarter than Us

56 14586
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

My question is, what do you think would happen if robots became more intelligent than us? Please say why you think that would happen. (BTW They gained this intellegence from the bottom up approach and nothing was preprogramed into them other than the technology to gain and use intellegence with no help from a human)

• 56 Replies
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

@partydevil you posted the same link twice
Speech recognition systems are already an example of a trial and error software
I can't really help you if you can't take my way of seeing it seriously

I read the whole article and I didn't find how they are becoming more inteligent

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

you posted the same link twice

it seems the url doesn't change when moving over their site.

just press "next" on the bottom of the articel to go the next. wich was my 2nd link.

I can't really help you

LOL
CabzIndustries
CabzIndustries
35 posts
Nomad

I think technology could never be smarter than humans and therefore cant overrule them. its like physics if something is on a pendulum and you hold it up to a certain point, it cant go any higher than the point you initially held it at. The same thing applies to this the knowledge of a robot could never exceed the knowledge we put into it.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

The rate of learning computers using smart programs have a big advantage, that is they can share their data between different computers. Data and results achieved first by other computers by trial and error or by observation of patterns can be copied directly to other computers, hence increasing their rate of learning.

This is from the first link you posted partydevil, they do say that computer have an advantadge there but they don't take into consideration that we also share findings through speech and internet (which is through computers) so we can go agianst that still.
Also the second link really dosen't tell you much other then that computers might soon be PAr with processing power of the brain.

think technology could never be smarter than humans and therefore cant overrule them. its like physics if something is on a pendulum and you hold it up to a certain point,

But if you design the computer to learn not from what we feed it, but what it finds out itself from just analyzing the enviroment, it might start to analyze more then we do and surpass us in inteligence.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

But if you design the computer to learn not from what we feed it, but what it finds out itself from just analyzing the enviroment, it might start to analyze more then we do and surpass us in inteligence.

technically, they can
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

Also I think the intellegence comes from what the robot will do with the information it has collected or how will it react differently after what it has learned.

you mean if it react? what is if it is only programed to learn?

A robot doesn't have any evolved traits, or instincts, so it could equate dying as actually being good!

a robot knows not that energy keeps it alive, it runs as long as it has energy. or is your computer saying to you: dont shut me down, i want to live!

a robot is a machine. a machine dies not if it has no longer any energy because it is not a living being like an animal or a human. humans and animalsd get energy through air, food and water and without them they die. but not a machine, it can be used again after if it is intact and gets energy after 100 years. try that with a human or a plant or an animal.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

you mean if it react? what is if it is only programed to learn?

So what would be it's function then? If it only learns and dosen't aply that knowledge somewhere then what good is it?

a robot is a machine. a machine dies not if it has no longer any energy because it is not a living being like an animal or a human. humans and animalsd get energy through air, food and water and without them they die. but not a machine, it can be used again after if it is intact and gets energy after 100 years. try that with a human or a plant or an animal.

You could think of it this way, once you don't eat or drink then you stop processing stuff, you equate no longer processing things as dying, unplugging computer is making it no longer compute things and therefore has died.
Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

obviously a robot can become smarter... we have to learn while in a robot all u have to do is program...

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

we have to learn while in a robot all u have to do is program...

Clearly you never tried to do programing... Programing takes alot of time and you get less of a gain then if you just learn something, also to program you have to have the knowlede already so the bobot cant excede your knowledge unless you program it to LEARN things.

Still robot, need us to recharge their battery. Without us, they not even exist right. They don't just make themselves, we make them

Not true anymore, we do design the computers and robots, but once you do then they usualy make factory robots to put together the other robots more efficiently, also there is such thing as solar power.

Robot does smarter than us, but they don't work like us work. Like some time you have to follow your heart instead of solving some thing by textbook or computer. Just story, a boy get lost and go to place where 3 caves show different way. The thing is in 3 caves, 1 caves is safe and the other two are go inside but no come back. A boy then use the robot to scan the cave. The Robot say biy should go to cave 1 and it safe. But his heart tell he should go to cave 3. But then he just believe and go to cave 3. He just walk and walk until the light and saw a village. He just told himself:

Boy programed the computer wrong, what he should have programed it to do is to give an exact schematic of the caves and color so that the boy can see which is safe.
Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

oh yes i've never programmed but what is it like? have u somewhat?

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

oh yes i've never programmed but what is it like? have u somewhat?

It is like having a 10 hour straight math class that is self induced. I have programed before and I never liked the real number aspect of it, but the end product was always enjoyable.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

But his heart tell he should go to cave 3.

emotions aren't logica to follow, I never go by emotions anymore because of that. "listening to your heart" is taking a uneducated guess.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Robots are robots. you can program them anyway you like. You can design it not to hurt other people or go shoot people up. You can make it look for rare minerals or create machines. In truth robots require a lot of programing, it can take days to make a good robot designing it to learn would take a loud off a engineers mind. Even then they still have work to do with it.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Well what put in the story is just made up so is not like scientific theory.

well this is a scientific discusion so why just make up a whole story that isn't relevent to the topic which is being discussed?
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

You could think of it this way, once you don't eat or drink then you stop processing stuff, you equate no longer processing things as dying, unplugging computer is making it no longer compute things and therefore has died.

but can you put the human back to the living after 10 years with just giving him/her energy?

Showing 31-45 of 56