ForumsThe TavernMath Thread

386 73060
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

This thread is just what the title says it is. It is all about Math. You can post math jokes(the jokes don't have to be good), math questions, what you like about Math, or even why you hate Math.

My math joke: Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by amps.

• 386 Replies
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Ah, wasn't reading close enough.

I assume
{the set of all subsets of the set of all natural numbers} has the same as {the set of all natural numbers}
{the set of all subsets of the set of real numbers} has the same as {the set of all real numbers}

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I assume
{the set of all subsets of the set of all natural numbers} has the same as {the set of all natural numbers}
{the set of all subsets of the set of real numbers} has the same as {the set of all real numbers}

{the set of all subsets of set A} is called the power set of set A. And, interestingly, the power set of set A is ALWAYS strictly greater than set A, for any set A.

It turns out that the power set of the set of all natural numbers has the same size as the set of all real numbers, and the power set of all real numbers is... large.

On that note, we say that the set of all natural numbers is countably infinite (which makes sense, because you can count them..) and the set of all real numbers is uncountably infinite, and is therefor larger. Then, what does that make the power set of real numbers (call it p(r) for short)?

In typical math people fashion, we just make up a new variable (A Hebrew letter pronounced bet, written as the "beth number" ), and say that is the size. So, |p(r)| = b2 > |r|=|p(n=natural numbers)|)=b1 > |n=natural numbers| = b0
(|c| is the size of z... its the same thing as absolute value)

But... then we have p(p(r)) = b3
And p(p(p(r))) =b4
and...
And it just keeps getting bigger.

In fact, you can* construct sets that are SO big, they don't have to exist according to the laws of math. So, math people just make a new law, saying that it does exist (really, that's how math works. You can't delete anything from the constitution, but you can add non-contradicting things to it.)
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

we just make up a new variable

Sorry, these are just numbers, not variables, don't know why I wrote that.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Can someone tell me when I would use a log in real life?

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

You'll probably never find a reason to use it if you're not going to go into science, math, engineering, econ, and other mathy fields, except when you need to make a dugout canoe.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Darn. Seeing how I like every part of math, except logs, I will be going into a mathy field. Luckily in real life I can just use my calculator.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Luckily in real life I can just use my calculator.

Well... you still need to have a deep understanding of how it works. After you get beyond the very basics, calculating is usually left to computers and whatnot, but technology can't help you come up with the desired equation in the first place.

Seeing how I like every part of math

That's because you don't know every part of math. As you learn more, I'd be willing to bet you add more and more things to the "hard" category.

On that note, what is everyone's least favorite part of math?

For me, it'd probably be simple calculations. I make a lot of lazy mistakes. I'm better at proofs, because you can't really make lazy mistakes there.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Simple calculations are not just really annoying when you mess up.

As of now logs are my least favorite. And I understand them I just do not like putting them in a different form to get the answer without a calcuator.

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

lol I like math quite a bit. As a matter of a fact, it is my favorite subject in school, and it has been since 1st grade or so.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

lol I like math quite a bit. As a matter of a fact, it is my favorite subject in school, and it has been since 1st grade or so.

Are you not counting electives? Usually electives are my favorite.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Eh, I'm more of a social science guy. I enjoy math, but I don't enjoy taking it in school; it seems a little pointless. Not that I don't see its applications, I just don't see them in my life. My Calculus teacher is brilliant though, that makes math a bit more entertaining.

Are you not counting electives? Usually electives are my favorite.

Electives aren't a subject :P
webfeet546
webfeet546
10 posts
Nomad

I only like first grade math because u don't need to do anything...
Just kidding.... I think I liked algebra the most of all types of math i had too do for school...

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Electives aren't a subject :P

I think they are. Computer Science is an elective and a subject.
johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

[quote=daleks]Are you not counting electives? Usually electives are my favorite.[/quote]
Um electives aren't subjects... >.>

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Depends on the elective. Are we just counting the main subjects?

Showing 181-195 of 386