ForumsThe TavernMath Thread

386 73056
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

This thread is just what the title says it is. It is all about Math. You can post math jokes(the jokes don't have to be good), math questions, what you like about Math, or even why you hate Math.

My math joke: Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by amps.

• 386 Replies
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

It's possible to solve.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I just learned base 8 and base 16.

Base 16:
Because you run out of numbers after 9 you start using letters
A=10 B=11 C=12 ... F=15

Right now people use base 16 in coding because binary would take forever with really large numbers. My teacher said though they might go to base 32 because the numbers are getting so big.

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

Wow, that's cool. It really raises the amount of things you can show in X amount of digits. For example, in 5 digits of binary, you can display 32 (2^5) different things, and with decimal, you can display 100,000 (10^5) different things, but with this base 16 thing (lol I couldn't think of a name for it) you can display 1,048,576 (16^5) things.

The_DeVitor13
The_DeVitor13
66 posts
Nomad

i like graphing

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

but with this base 16 thing (lol I couldn't think of a name for it) you can display 1,048,576 (16^5) things.

But you wouldn't have enough symbols to do that. Even base 64 is hard because you run out of letters.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Right now people use base 16 in coding because binary would take forever with really large numbers.

And they only use powers of 2 because that way 1 digit of, let's say, hexadecimal, is equal to 4 digits of binary, because 16 = 2^4. Also, the highest 4 digit number you can reach in binary is 1111, which is 15 (i.e. F). Same for Octal, except with 3 columns equal to 1 digit because 8 = 2^3. 4 isn't used because it is simply unusefull due to it's size.

If you wanted to make a very large binary number readable, you would first separate it into pieces of 4, then decode each of those pieces separately into their hexadecimal representations.

Example

1101100110110111 (55735 in decimal)

Separate it into:

Then translate each of these into hexadecimal

1101=D
1001=9
1011=B
0111=7

So now the original number would be D9B7 in hexadecimal.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

So now the original number would be D9B7 in hexadecimal.

Ya. I did learn that. I guess it is more so it is easier to read, but they still have to write the code in binary.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

So... When exactly is it that you learn binary code? I'm only in Algebra II. ^^

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

When exactly is it that you learn binary code? I'm only in Algebra II.

Oh you poor little Algebra II people. Just be glad you didn't have my Algebra II teacher(she tortured kids for fun). But seriously she was a little bit insane. Nice person just really hard grader. I did learn a lot in that class though.

I didn't learn it in math. I learned it in Digital Electronics. So if you take an Electronics course you will learn it. Or I could teach you if you really wanted me too. I recommend the first option.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Ah. So I think its safe to say I will not be learning Binary Code, as my school does not offer any electronics courses. :/

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

Is binary code only talking about 2^x powered numbers? Or is it talking about the different letters/symbols each number stands for?

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Is binary code only talking about 2^x powered numbers?

Binary is base 2. So just 0 and 1.
Or is it talking about the different letters/symbols each number stands for?

Hexadecimal uses letters because you run out of numbers.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Ah. So I think its safe to say I will not be learning Binary Code, as my school does not offer any electronics courses. :/

Binary code is really pretty simple.
And now of course, I am obligated to tell this joke...
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who know binary, and those who don't.

Just learned SOHCAHTOA a few days ago. >.> Kinda fun to say, it's like double bubble.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

^Haha thats funny.

I learned sohcahtoa earlier in the year. I have to say, I love Trigonometry.
Sadly, I'm done with math for the year. I wont have anything til next fall

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

Sad to hear that you're done with math... Trig is pretty fun as well.

Showing 211-225 of 386