ForumsThe TavernMath Thread

386 73053
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

This thread is just what the title says it is. It is all about Math. You can post math jokes(the jokes don't have to be good), math questions, what you like about Math, or even why you hate Math.

My math joke: Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by amps.

• 386 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

After finishing my quiz on 'Solving Quadratic Functions Algebraicly' (Got an 89 on it), I was messing around with my calculator (A TI-83 Plus), and found this weird thing out:

Hit these buttons in this order over and over and over and over again: SIN, COS, TAN, ^, and x^-1. Heres what your screen (if you have the same calculator as me), should look like:

sin(cos(tan(^-1si
n(cos(tan(^-1sin(
cos(tan(^-1sin(co
s(tan(^-1sin(cos(
tan(^-1sin(cos(ta
n(^-1sin(cos(tan(

Etc, Etc, Etc. Do it a bunch of times, and then hit enter.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Couldn't you just use a 1 variable Z Proportion Test?

This is what I was talking about before about how people often misuse stat tests. There are different conditions that must be met for each test, and I believe that there are less conditions needed for the chi-squared test. But in this case, I think you are right. The Chi-square test should give the result as a z test.

I'm not sure the z-test works as well for more degrees of freedom... Did you try it on the die problem? Its trivial with chi-squared test, I'm curious to know if it is as simple (or even applicable) to the z test...

*it should be noted that stats is hardly my area of expertise...
Etc, Etc, Etc. Do it a bunch of times, and then hit enter.

Syntax error? you can get it to scroll up really fast if you delete it, but you can do that with any lengthy entry.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Did you try it on the die problem?

What die problem? To see if a die is loaded. It would be almost the exact same as the coin one.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Syntax error? you can get it to scroll up really fast if you delete it, but you can do that with any lengthy entry.

It works on mine...

But yeah, thats whats supposed to happen. And I feel like I just made everyone think I'm an idiot. Simple minds, and all that.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

What die problem? To see if a die is loaded. It would be almost the exact same as the coin one.

It is for the chi-squared test, I was wondering if the same is true for the z-test.

This one:
Problem: what if I rolled a die 90 times, and got no ones, twenty 2s, fifteen 3s, ten 4s, twenty-five 5s, and twenty 6s? Should we consider this die to be fair?

What do you get for the two tailed p value?
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Ya. This one would not be good for a 1 proportion z test. You could just do each part separatly but that would not be effective.

mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

I went into integration class, and the warm ups they gave us were something like this:

http://web.mit.edu/smaurer/www/blog/060131%20bee/integrals.JPG

And then I dabbled in summation which had solutions like this....

http://math4teaching.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/solution-to-i.png

I have nightmares about math, considering those were easy questions.

4x-3y=12
I have trouble doing this! lol
TheGodZlo
TheGodZlo
106 posts
Shepherd

I hate maths!!!! That's why i chose to give exams in order to go to the university of subjects like: ancient greek , history , latin and greek literature (Im greek btw) and the ejucations sucks here... That's why almost everyone in my age is doing extra classes!

TheGodZlo
TheGodZlo
106 posts
Shepherd

*education

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

for all you maths nerds out there (proud to be one of them) put this into google image and be astounded

(sqrt(cos(2x))*cos(999x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7),from -2 to 2

little cheesy though

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

I don't like math but I try hard in school to get good marks. One of the easiest things in math is trigonometry

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Heres a math puzzle I found on a blog called futility closet. I love math I'm in Algebra II right now it's pretty easy. I also love math puzzles.

A B
. .

An ant will always position itself so that it's twice as far away from vinegar as it is from honey. If we put a dab of vinegar on point A and a dab of honey at B and release a troop of ants, what formation will they take up?

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

An ant will always position itself so that it's twice as far away from vinegar as it is from honey. If we put a dab of vinegar on point A and a dab of honey at B and release a troop of ants, what formation will they take up?

If A=(a1,a2)
B= (b1,b2)
and the ants are at (x,y)

Then:
sqrt((y-a2)^2 +(x-a1)^2)- 2*(sqrt((y-b2)^2+(x-b1)^2))) = 0

Which is a circle.
If you arrange the axis so that a and b are both on the x axis, things are much simpler.
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Nice job! I couldn't get it but my brother could except he just substituted points for a and b.

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

[quote=mattduggan13]4x-3y=12
I have trouble doing this! lol[/quote]

That's because you need another equation to solve it.

Showing 241-255 of 386