ForumsThe TavernMath Thread

386 73048
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

This thread is just what the title says it is. It is all about Math. You can post math jokes(the jokes don't have to be good), math questions, what you like about Math, or even why you hate Math.

My math joke: Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by amps.

• 386 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

mattduggan13 wrote:
4x-3y=12
I have trouble doing this! lol

That's because you need another equation to solve it.

Unless it was a differential equations question. Or implicit differentiation.
Tehcowmilk
Tehcowmilk
5 posts
Nomad

math is my top grade in all my classes cuz its just too easy for me

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

Hello all I'm probably dumber than most of you. But anyway our class got stumped when trying to work on this problem:

http://j.mp/wF00MQ

There was an answer key. It said that X = 13. But we still didn't know how to solve it. Any ideas?

Zorvex
Zorvex
223 posts
Peasant

people say life is a word problem. in that case, I hate life.

Zorvex
Zorvex
223 posts
Peasant

Hello all I'm probably dumber than most of you. But anyway our class got stumped when trying to work on this problem:

I did the problem and i got -4.25, but im no math genius.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I'm almost positive you need more information to solve this. Sometimes math books are poorly written, and something relevant to the problem appears earlier in the book.

For instance, you could have x equal six, and then have the angle on the right be rather small. We need something like area, or one of the angles, or relations between the angles, or perimeter...

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I can't find any way to solve it... I tried going through different properties of kites again but nothing came up on how I could solve the problem. Either I'm too dumb or there's some missing information.

Zorvex
Zorvex
223 posts
Peasant

i did it by adding the like sides... x + x = 2x and 3x-17 + 3x-17 = 6x -34

6x+ 2x = 8x -34 -34/8 = -4.25 BUT IM IN ALGEBRA 1 so I probably did it worng or u guys are right something is missing

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

Hum ok thanks guys. Our class came to the conclusion that the question had insufficient information.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I just finished a 25 page math paper, funny thing is, the hardest part was probably citing :b

42maelstrom
42maelstrom
123 posts
Nomad

Hey guys. I love math. I'm in Algebra II right now and I love it. Anyway, I'm requesting a really tough math problem! Please give me one that's not stupid as well, because I don't like stupidly impossible problems. But make it hard!

42maelstrom
42maelstrom
123 posts
Nomad

Er, maybe a better term would be a math puzzle, not a problem. Like, more of a complicated math semi-intuitive word problem-puzzle, not a problem. Sorry for the double-post.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Er, maybe a better term would be a math puzzle, not a problem.

What is the highest math class you have been in? That way I don't give you a puzzle/question that seems really hard to you but easy to me.

In other news I cut myself with an IC chip on accident. It was really painful. Who new that electronics in a classroom setting could hurt you?
42maelstrom
42maelstrom
123 posts
Nomad

I'm in Algebra II right now but I'm smart enough (I'm three years ahead in math...) to do harder puzzles as long as it doesn't use un-intuitive math that I haven't learned yet. Anyway... wow. Are there bandaids in the electronics classroom? :P

mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

Oh, and how many digits of pi do you know?

All of them.
That's impossible cuz pi has more than a million digits.
Showing 256-270 of 386