ForumsGamesHacking is right

80 14681
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Oh so right. I'm not talking about stupid things like aimbots, or cheat engines, or deleting third paragraph (if you understand that tell me).

There are a lot of people who hack video games for all the right reasons. Hacking can and has been used in gaming communities to make games fairer and more fun. Hacking is also used to improve the game in ways the developers haven't considered. Developers should really embrace hacking and modding and use their ideas to improve their own games. So please, before you write off all hackers as evil cheaters, remember that most aren't hurting anyone, and some are trying to achieve game balance.

inb4 hackin and moddin r different
inb4 OP can't inb4

• 80 Replies
Loptice
Loptice
242 posts
Peasant

Hacking in SP in bad games or games you played thousand times is okay.
Even some hacks in MP are good - like in Mario Kart DS (you can select all levels hack). But most peoples hack are making games BAD. Most of hacks like Pikachu bolt in (again) Mario Kart are making game extremly unbalanced.

ArchlordPie
ArchlordPie
150 posts
Jester

ROM Hacking: Cool way to put a new spin on an old game.
Online Hacking: Cheap way to ruin others' fun.

^My 2 cents

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

Iron - Squire

ROM Hacking: Cool way to put a new spin on an old game.

why would ruin a classic by doing such stupid thing
LOL500
LOL500
12 posts
Nomad

HACKING IS RIGHT

and i agree to every kind of hacking to good and the bad!

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Meh, I disagree. Even if you are a 'good hacker' and hack on singleplayer, it's still cheating. You are still bending and tweaking the game to make it go right for you.

Is installing a texture pack on a single player game that doesn't allow texture packs cheating? What, am I cheating the developer by changing the aesthetics?

lol I failed at installing texture packs on SSBB.
numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

Somewhat I suppose. High scores on the game are a bit different than directly competing. I mean if you see someone get a ridiculous score, you know they hacked, but that doesn't stop you from getting a legitimate high score.

yeh but wats the point in trying if u know for a fact ur neva gna be number 1, it just defeats the purpose of getting a high score and it puts loads of people off from the actual game itself, hacking isnt sumthing that should happen altogether, the goodness of it does not outweigh badness of it.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

yeh but wats the point in trying if u know for a fact ur neva gna be number 1,

Because you like the game...? Also, it's obvious usually if a score is hacked.

it just defeats the purpose of getting a high score and it puts loads of people off from the actual game itself

If people aren't going to play because they can't get the highest "score" then I wouldn't really want to play with them anyways.

hacking isnt sumthing that should happen altogether, the goodness of it does not outweigh badness of it.

Hacking is neutral. It depends on what you do.
numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

yeh but wats the point in trying if u know for a fact ur neva gna be number 1,

Because you like the game...? Also, it's obvious usually if a score is hacked.

it just defeats the purpose of getting a high score and it puts loads of people off from the actual game itself

If people aren't going to play because they can't get the highest "score" then I wouldn't really want to play with them anyways.

hacking isnt sumthing that should happen altogether, the goodness of it does not outweigh badness of it.

Hacking is neutral. It depends on what you do.

but wats the point of consistently trying and knowing ur not gna be the top because of some asinine that cheated his way to the top, also it doesnt matter if its obvious that its been hacked wat matters is som1 hacked into that position and the term hack in it self means sumthing negative, i.e to damage or injure by crude, harsh, or insensitive treatment.

there is nothing right about hacking.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

but wats the point of consistently trying and knowing ur not gna be the top because of some asinine that cheated his way to the top,

Because you like playing the game and want to get better at it.

also it doesnt matter if its obvious that its been hacked wat matters is som1 hacked into that position and the term hack in it self means sumthing negative, i.e to damage or injure by crude, harsh, or insensitive treatment.

If you want to take the base meaning of the word hack, which is commonly used in reference to an axe, then yes. However, there are many types of hacking. It doesn't have to be to damage or anything negative. It could be used to improve or fix something as well.

there is nothing right about hacking.

It depends on how it's used.
numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

It depends on how it's used.

well if u can find one situation wer som1 has used to appropiatley then i would like to see it because all the ones am seeing hav upset som1 because they cheated or got an unfair advantage
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

well if u can find one situation wer som1 has used to appropiatley

Many modded games that add a lot of content. 3rd party programs that allow advanced editing for making maps for games. Comical videos. Changing game settings to be more customized. Super Smash Bros Brawl+. There's lots of examples.
troy586
troy586
5 posts
Nomad

In Counter Strike Source you should only be allowed to hack to create a more unique server because it gets boring when people don't but it's annoying when people cheat in normal servers and it sucks!
Minecraft actually promotes hacking and actually take ideas from hackers. For instance, the mod 'Millenaire' is a hack that adds NPC villages,a money system, and a purpose besides survival: to upgrade your favorite town into a massive city. Notch (the founder of the whole game.) soon added a legit way to find a town and the game keeps progressing.

xBlazedx
xBlazedx
11 posts
Nomad

Yes, but hacking is primarily used when it comes to do something bad instead of doing something for the better.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Changing game settings to be more customized. Super Smash Bros Brawl+.

KAAAAAAAAASIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC
Minecraft actually promotes hacking and actually take ideas from hackers. For instance, the mod 'Millenaire' is a hack that adds NPC villages,a money system, and a purpose besides survival: to upgrade your favorite town into a massive city. Notch (the founder of the whole game.) soon added a legit way to find a town and the game keeps progressing.

What should be gathered from this paragraph: Minecraft supports people modding the game and often take the ideas from the mods and incorporates them into the full game. This also makes the game much more popular, with all the hacking community actively taking on a much more significant role than both the other players, and hackers in other games.

Also, tf2
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

KAAAAAAAAASIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

...?

Yes, but hacking is primarily used when it comes to do something bad instead of doing something for the better.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I do not recall there being any study of what people use hacking for. Common sense would dictate that we see the negative more often and that people focus on the negative more, which would lead us to think that it is used primarily for negative purposes. However, just because we mostly see the negative does not mean that there is no positive use, or that the negative uses are even more frequent than the positive.

Most of the "hacks" people talk about are really just programs that were made by a hacker/group of hackers, and thus are actually small in number if you count each program as a single hack.
Showing 31-45 of 80