ForumsThe TavernBigfoot

42 7449
macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

Does bigfoot really exsist? I saw a show about it on Discovery channel.

• 42 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, I saw the show too. It was strange.... They saw a video of a "Bigfoot" running across a road. I don't think it's real, I mean the thing is supposed to be about the size of a human, humans are all over north America, and a species with such small numbers would die out very fast.

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

I think the sasquatches are VERY real, because I live in florida and there is a legend (or truth?) about a skunk ape whitch is a smaller version of bigfoot. (very smelly too...)

loco5
loco5
16,287 posts
Peasant

They already proved that skunk apes were escaped orangutans

The_DeVitor13
The_DeVitor13
66 posts
Nomad

yer right thta was a good comparison between the bigfoot thing and a bear

unknown456
unknown456
47 posts
Peasant

Meh, maybe in other places in the world like with the yeti, bu probably not in North America. Fingers crossed though.

goldeneye006
goldeneye006
21 posts
Nomad

To me, my theory about Bigfoot is that it does exist, but it probably is a monkey or person with a genetic mutation.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

The most interesting story about BigFoot is that nobody has managed to recreate the Patterson-Gimlin film of '67, despite the special effects we now have being far more advanced.

The BBC tried a few years ago and failed, not just a little fail, but a total fail.

If Patterson-Gimlin's film is a fake (which I believe it to be) why has no-one been able to recreate the bigfoot they claimed to have filmed?

Where is the original suit, if that is what it is?

And when you look at detailed footage, you see muscle movement on the suit. How was that muscle movement created? And remember, it was '67, think about the films at the time and the low tech special effects.

Patterson in particular had already written books less than a decade earlier about a female bigfoot, with artwork copied from magazines, pictures recreated from so-called eye witness accounts, so he had form. For him to just happen to catch a female bigfoot on camera is stretching belief, but how did they manage it? And if it was a man in a suit, who was it? It couldn't have been Gimlin or Patterson for obvious reasons.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

there is massive areas of the world unexplored so it's hard to prove anything that is relatively realistic as such doesn't exist just look at the coelacanth people thought it was extinct for thousands of years and it was relatively recently found to be living deep in the ocean pretty much unchanged.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Funny enough I was watching a couple of Bigfoot shows just a couple of days ago. Most of the time the team hunting bigfoot discounted stories and accounts by the witnesses but this video had everyone confused. The only thing they could agree was it was some sort of ape. Bigfoot baby or escaped pet ape? The world may never know.

macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

behemoth

Isn't that a dinosaur?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

And when you look at detailed footage, you see muscle movement on the suit. How was that muscle movement created? And remember, it was '67, think about the films at the time and the low tech special effects.

Does the video really have a good enough resolution to see that? I remember it to be almost as grainy as most 'evidence' videos.. anyway, as far as I'm informed, quite a few aspects of the video have already been revealed as false evidences or not significant for anything, so there are enough reasons to remain sceptical until anything has been positively proven.

there is massive areas of the world unexplored so it's hard to prove anything that is relatively realistic as such doesn't exist just look at the coelacanth people thought it was extinct for thousands of years and it was relatively recently found to be living deep in the ocean pretty much unchanged.

The problem with this argumentation, not wrong per se, is that primates do have quite different behaviours and ecological requirements than fishes living in underwater caves. If there were giant primates around in this world, the populations should be big enough for us to have them discovered by now.

Isn't that a dinosaur?

Nah, a bizarre mythical creature, depicted as quadruped therefore out of competition anyway.
SteveeXb
SteveeXb
490 posts
Templar

Job 40:15-24
New International Version (NIV)

15 âLook at Behemoth,
which I made along with you
and which feeds on grass like an ox.
16 What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!
17 Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze,
its limbs like rods of iron.
19 It ranks first among the works of God,
yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.
20 The hills bring it their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby.
21 Under the lotus plants it lies,
hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround it.
23 A raging river does not alarm it;
it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.

i]

Many Biblical Scholars have pondered this quote, and there is much uncertainty as to what creature it is referencing.
It could be a brontosaurus. a brontosaurus would fit the description almost perfectly, if you read the whole quote and do some research on brontosauri.
It could be an elephant. yes, an elephant. the Bible says that it has a tail "like a cedar." well the hebrew word for "tail" can also be translated to "trunk." and while swallowing a whole river might be a bit of an exageration, an elephant [i]can consume a lot of water, plus it can hold water in its trunk,then spray i out to wash itself.
i actually believe that it is referencing a brontosaurus in this quote. (verse by verse now)
âLook at Behemoth,

A brontosaurus is an herbavore.
What strength it has in its loins,

a brontosaurus is strong.
Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit. Its bones are tubes of bronze,

is you research the anatomy of the brontosaurus, you will see that this is true.
The hills bring it their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby

the brontosaurus eats the leaves off trees on the hills; and it was a peaceful creature, and was not threatening to other animals as it did not eat meat.

The brontosaurus was able towalk into lakes and rivers. because its neck was so long, it could keep its head above water, yet be completely submerged and consealed in a swamp.
A raging river does not alarm it;

a brontosaurus was strong enough and tall enough that it could cross the jordan river during flood season, if the need arose.

anyway, i extremly doubt that the bible is referencing bigfoot here.
btw thanks phycticpotato for bringing this up.

as for the pic that Marius2323 posted, it is a man in an ape suit.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

The leviathan, a brontosaur? Let's see...

Look at Behemoth,

I guess the 'you' here are humans? I hope you know brontosaurs (apatosaurs) were extinct long before humans spread out of Africa (which btw is a reason to discard the brontosaur anyway since those who wrote the bible couldn't possibly know that animal)
A brontosaurus is an herbavore.

Herbivore, yes, but did it feed on grass?
What strength it has in its loins,

a brontosaurus is strong.

There's no point in trying to contradict this, though it doesn't mean anything.
[quote]Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit. Its bones are tubes of bronze,

is you research the anatomy of the brontosaurus, you will see that this is true.[/quote]
The tail of a brontosaur is not nearly tree-looking, also I doubt it had bones out of metal... it surely had strong limbs though.
The hills bring it their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby

the brontosaurus eats the leaves off trees on the hills; and it was a peaceful creature, and was not threatening to other animals as it did not eat meat.

Same point as with the strength of the animal.

The brontosaurus was able towalk into lakes and rivers. because its neck was so long, it could keep its head above water, yet be completely submerged and consealed in a swamp.

It surely could walk around in shallow water wihtout trouble, and there have been hypothesis' saying they actually lived in the water with the head pointing out, but those were proven false long ago. If you look at the vertebrae you'll see they couldn't really lift their neck up that much, so I doubt this is true.
A raging river does not alarm it;

a brontosaurus was strong enough and tall enough that it could cross the jordan river during flood season, if the need arose.

If you say so...? But again, the neck is not though to be erected upwards.Don't know how big the Jordan gets during flood, but I doubt they could cross (if the Jordan existed already back then anyway).

Oh, and a part of the wiki article is particularly interesting:
Since the 17th century CE there have been many attempts to identify Behemoth. Some scholars have seen him as a real creature, usually the hippopotamus, although occasionally as the elephant, crocodile, water buffalo or for some creationists, a dinosaur. The reference to Behemoth's "tail" that "moves like a cedar" (40:17), is a problem for most of these theories, since it cannot easily be identified with the tail of any animal. Some have identified it as the elephant's trunk, but it might instead refer to Behemoth's penis based on another meaning of the Hebrew word "move" which means "extend" and on the second last part of verse 17 describing the sinew around its "stones"â"not, as in the translation above, his thighs. The Vulgate, recognising this, uses the word "testiculorum". A second opinion is that Behemoth is a product of the imagination of the author of Job, a symbol of God's power (and indeed, in verse 24 he is described as having a ring ("snare&quot through his nose, a sign that he has been tamed by Yahweh).

anyway, i extremly doubt that the bible is referencing bigfoot here.

Me too, mainly, as I said before, because the bigfoot is not supposed to walk on all four legs.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

The leviathan, a brontosaur? Let's see...

Sorry, I meant behemoth, not leviathan, of course...
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

http://valdostadailytimes.com/archive/x1164466357/g000258000000000000c262d314ab674594dcf5a2eda07360e3010c02ad.jpg

Showing 16-30 of 42