ForumsThe TavernAG Presidential Election 2012

197 30307
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

--I'm not sure if this fits better in the Tavern or in the WEPR, so mods, move it as you see fit(of course you would do that regardless, but still--
As I'm sure AG's American members know, in 2012 the United States will be electing a new president or reelecting the incumbent. Normally this is done with electoral colleges, primaries, etc. on a national level. But I thought it would be kind of cool to hold a mock presidential election in AG, just to see what happens. The candidates will be the same, the only difference is that the voting will be on a much smaller scale. You guys will vote for which presidential candidate you like best, and at the end of two weeks(I may extend or shorten this deadline) we will see who the president of the United States should be, according to the members of AG.
But before we start voting between Obama and the Republican candidate, first we have to vote for a Republican candidate in the primary. I'm gonna change the rules a bit on the primary: you don't have to be a Republican in order to vote on the Republican primary. That's because there is no Democratic primary, Obama is the undisputed presidential candidate for the Democrats. The Republican who gets the most votes on AG, regardless of who wins the actual primary, will be the one moving on to face off against the incumbent Obama.
Rules
1. You can only vote once, unless you vote once in the primary and once in the main election.
2. In order for your vote to count, you must provide a reason for why you want that person to be president or to win the primary.
3. Let's try and keep this civil: no slandering, name-calling, or making fun of anyone because of their vote.
We are currently voting on the Republican primary(so no voting for Obama yet, vote for which Republican you want to be the party's candidate). I will be tallying the votes at the end of week one to determine the Republican primary winner, then we will start voting on who should be the actual president. At the end of week two, I will tally the votes from that election and post who is the official President of the United States as decided by ArmorGames.

• 197 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

This needs to be outlawed because these companies are profiting off of our money and our labor, and then move for no reason except to exploit workers of foreign nations.

Isn't that how business is about? No one should be allowed to tell me where I can expand.

Ever thought that when a business opens up in America, they too give back to the economy in terms of Investment (I), part of the GDP calculation, by giving salaries to the workers, which leads to workers Consuming (C), another part of GDP. Not to mention buying the machines, asking contractors to build the factory, getting recruiting agencies to hire workers, buying raw materials from mines and quarries in America, etc etc?

Before you complain about exploitation, learn a little economics first.
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Isn't that how business is about? No one should be allowed to tell me where I can expand.

Again, expand wherever the hell you want, but you can't just close up shop once you start on our land.

Ever thought that when a business opens up in America, they too give back to the economy in terms of Investment (I), part of the GDP calculation, by giving salaries to the workers, which leads to workers Consuming (C), another part of GDP. Not to mention buying the machines, asking contractors to build the factory, getting recruiting agencies to hire workers, buying raw materials from mines and quarries in America, etc etc?

Before you complain about exploitation, learn a little economics first.

When they move to Vietnam, or China, that investment is greatly reduced. Did you know that Vietnamese workers make about $60 per month? That reeks of exploitation! Had they been in the US, that would be the wage per day. Am I holding the standard of living of Vietnam to that of the US? No, but I am saying that when you make about $2 a day, you are being exploited.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

but you can't just close up shop once you start on our land.

And why can't you? When a business no longer brings in sufficient profit, a rational economic agent will move on. Most firms have a primary goal, and that goal is to maximise profit. Profit, take not, not revenue.

Not that I can expect you to understand business, it is easy to be an armchair critic and condemn businesses that act rationally and to condemn the more economic oriented mindset of others whilst never helping out to run a business.

When they move to Vietnam, or China, that investment is greatly reduced. Did you know that Vietnamese workers make about $60 per month? That reeks of exploitation! Had they been in the US, that would be the wage per day. Am I holding the standard of living of Vietnam to that of the US? No, but I am saying that when you make about $2 a day, you are being exploited.

It's not exploitation when you consider the standard of living there is much cheaper than America. So what if the Vietnamese get paid less? They're willing to take the job, and if they want increased pay, they go on strike, it's a domestic issue. It has no correlation as to why businesses MUST stay in America.

Had they been in the US, that would be the wage per day.

Unfortunately it isn't.

Again, why are you bringing up the point of exploitation? Does that somehow justify not being able to move from America? Again, you're using similiar sounding, but totally different reasoning to come to a conclusion.

And as far as I know, MNCs abroad have begun to be forced to increase their wages.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Profit, take not, not revenue.

Take note.*
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

All right, the election is over. The final count was Barack Obama: 9, Ron Paul: 8

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

yeah... this probably wont be the real outcome because the republican is most likely going to be mitt romny or newt gingrich.... probably romny.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Can you imagine Newt for president and Trump for vice president? That would be the 2 biggest egomaniacs in power in American history.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

If this is an indication of the Rep Dem support demographic than Obama is ij for a rough time. Sigh.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

If this is an indication of the Rep Dem support demographic than Obama is ij for a rough time. Sigh.

I'm afraid that the Republican propaganda and the racism of some, the lies about the Obama care, the unlimited budget for the election (no limits anymore),etc, will make it hard on the current president to stay in office. And if, the conservatives are in power again, they will increase the war budget, cut the taxes for the riches, cut on the education, steal people's pensions, and who knows what other crimes they will commit. That's a scary thought. Maybe it'll convince my GF to move to Canada.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

And if, the conservatives are in power again, they will increase the war budget, cut the taxes for the riches, cut on the education, steal people's pensions, and who knows what other crimes they will commit.

If Romney gets in, and he governs like he governed Massachusetts, then it might be a good thing, since his policies are more pragmatic compared to the other ideological slanted Republicans.

Then again, doesn't really belong in this thread anymore.
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

All the Republicans scare me. But as one Yahoo!'er said... I'd rather vote for somebody who's bulls**t I know than somebody who's horses**t I don't. Obama. Plus, I agree with a large amount of Obama's things and I know he's trying to help the middle class! It's just that government is run by big business and he's fighting a losing battle. Sadly, words don't win over money.

Showing 181-191 of 197