ForumsThe TavernAG Presidential Election 2012

197 30310
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

--I'm not sure if this fits better in the Tavern or in the WEPR, so mods, move it as you see fit(of course you would do that regardless, but still--
As I'm sure AG's American members know, in 2012 the United States will be electing a new president or reelecting the incumbent. Normally this is done with electoral colleges, primaries, etc. on a national level. But I thought it would be kind of cool to hold a mock presidential election in AG, just to see what happens. The candidates will be the same, the only difference is that the voting will be on a much smaller scale. You guys will vote for which presidential candidate you like best, and at the end of two weeks(I may extend or shorten this deadline) we will see who the president of the United States should be, according to the members of AG.
But before we start voting between Obama and the Republican candidate, first we have to vote for a Republican candidate in the primary. I'm gonna change the rules a bit on the primary: you don't have to be a Republican in order to vote on the Republican primary. That's because there is no Democratic primary, Obama is the undisputed presidential candidate for the Democrats. The Republican who gets the most votes on AG, regardless of who wins the actual primary, will be the one moving on to face off against the incumbent Obama.
Rules
1. You can only vote once, unless you vote once in the primary and once in the main election.
2. In order for your vote to count, you must provide a reason for why you want that person to be president or to win the primary.
3. Let's try and keep this civil: no slandering, name-calling, or making fun of anyone because of their vote.
We are currently voting on the Republican primary(so no voting for Obama yet, vote for which Republican you want to be the party's candidate). I will be tallying the votes at the end of week one to determine the Republican primary winner, then we will start voting on who should be the actual president. At the end of week two, I will tally the votes from that election and post who is the official President of the United States as decided by ArmorGames.

• 197 Replies
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Paul. Too tired to write my reasons. Going to bed...

Sorry, but unless you provide your reasons I can't count your vote.

Obama: 2
Paul: 1
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Rick Perry should be president of the United States because his pokemon team is all Zubats.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Whatever happens, whoever gets in, I just hope they can handle the economy well.

phycticpotato
phycticpotato
132 posts
Nomad

Ok. I'll go ahead and put my reasons now that I'm awake. Lol. First off, how much good has Obama done our country in the past four years? Little to none. I didn't like the way he handled the economy. Paul's moral standards are much higher than Obama's too (ie. Abortion, marrage laws and the like.) I like his views on the economy (ie. cutting spending on war, bailouts, and all that crap.) Some of his ideals are not my style, but what choice do we have?

Is that good?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

The record is the most important part of a politician's life. If its bad, then they're not going to go anywhere. Ron Paul has got the best record among any of the candidates running. He's never voted to raise taxes, he has forseen the economic crisis since atleast 2000, and he has promised to bring our troops home. None of the other candidates can say this: Mitt Romney has repeatedly switched his sides to the point where no one really knows where he stands. Newt Gingrich is viewed as too much of a Washington Insider to hit it off with many of the GOP members. Rick Santorum has the wrong reasons for the right ideas (not saying all his ideas are right, however). So Ron Paul's record is the best among all other candidates.

As for the Middle East, Ron Paul has repeatedly said that its not the US' role to go nation building. We allready toppled Saddam. We allready booted the Taliban out. So why are we still over there? We've done our job, and now its up the Iraqis and Afghanis to decide is they want Democracy and Liberty enough to fight for it. The other candidates have either been too soft with the Middle East, Iran for example. Or they have been too belligerant, such as Rick Perry. And then look at the Military: The Fed reported that Ron Paul recieved 50% of all Military Campaign Donations. So even the people who are fighting the wars aggree with his message.

Finally, Ron Paul's character excedes that of the other candidates. Look at Newt Gingrich: At the same time he was leading the charge to impeach Clinton over his affair, he was having one himself! When his second wife got cancer, what did he do? He divorced her, and married a younger wife! Do we *really* want this man leading our nation? Look at Mitt Romney: He has repeatedly switched his views to fit his audience; from abortion to health care to taxes. He's more slippery than a snake! And he's been running since the mid-90s, with no success. So do we really want this man to run our nation?

Voting for Ron Paul for the above mentioned reasons, as well as these following ones:

As an American, I want a leader who is proud to be one. I'm freaking sick and tired of Obama going around and bruising his knees bowing and scraping to foreign leaders. I'm tired of Obama apologizing for America; I'm not sorry that we're the greatest nation on the earth. I'm not sorry that we have the best military. I'm not sorry for anything, nor will I ever be. So why does he insist on apologizing for being an American?

Next, unemployment in my state is close to 10%; Well above the national average. And yet Obama has the audacity to say that things [i]are getting better[/b]! Whenever he goes off and says this, he is slapping us in the face! No, things are not getting better. No, your policies have actually made things worse. No, your proposed policies will not make anything better; they are making things worse. Hes entirely out of touch with what common people actually have to put up with! Or rather, out of touch with those who arent actively contributing to his campaign coffers. This really, really, pisses me off.

If its not allready obvious, then I'm voting for Ron Paul. Even if he's a total failure, he'll still be a hell of a lot better than that buffoon whose currently in Washington.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Even if he's a total failure, he'll still be a hell of a lot better than that buffoon whose currently in Washington.

Eh, Ron Paul is going to do a few things that can not accept. I just can't vote for him knowing what he'll do. I would actually feel guilty voting for him.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Paul: 3

Ron Paul takes the lead. This is a lot closer than the Republican primary was, I gotta say.

Eh, Ron Paul is going to do a few things that can not accept. I just can't vote for him knowing what he'll do. I would actually feel guilty voting for him.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of things are you talking about?

Whatever happens, whoever gets in, I just hope they can handle the economy well.

Oh, don't we all.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

Looks to me that Mitt Romney is going to win the Republican delegate, and here is something to back me up ^. I don't want Obama in so I'm going with Mitt Romney because he is gaining a lot of momentum since New Hampshire or so...

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

If Romney wins the entire presidential election, how many first ladies will there be?

But seriously, if I had to choose any of these guys to run my country, I'd probably feel safest with Ron Paul. He has that calming old guy (but not too old) effect about him.

He's also the only candidate currently that I can't picture wielding a rifle.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

*sigh* well out of those two, i pick paul because...
i dont like what obama is doing with the "distribution of wealth" thing
im more of a republican

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Paul: 5
Ron Paul's lead grows stronger.

If Romney wins the entire presidential election, how many first ladies will there be?

What are you talking about? If there's anyone we should be worried about on the first lady front, it's Gingrich. Isn't he the one who divorced his first wife when she got cancer, and married a younger gal?

He's also the only candidate currently that I can't picture wielding a rifle.

You can picture Obama with a rifle? Hm...I can see him with a giant claymore pretty easily, but I'm having trouble with the rifle.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of things are you talking about?

Like his plan on energy. Which will pollute us even more. And thus, more asthmatics such as myself. Or that he'll stop people from having abortions in hospitals. Which, won't actually stop them from having abortions, it'll just stop them from doing it painlessly and healthily.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I would actually feel guilty voting for him.

I can't vote for a man who has promised to fix the country, and then promptly gone and made it worse. To hijack and add to Obama's own analogy, he took the car that was in the ditch, pulled it out, and then drove it off a cliff.

Granted, I can't vote, but thats beside the point.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

What are you talking about?

It's a joke about Mormons. I didn't think I would have to explain that one, but I guess this is a presidential election.

You can picture Obama with a rifle?

I was referring to the Republican candidates. I thought we were still nominating them because I only read the first page. I'm kind of tired of Ob'y, though, so I'll stick with my vote for now.
PerryKid
PerryKid
1,269 posts
Nomad

If I had to pick between Paul and Obama, I'd choose Obama. Ron Paul not only is old (born in '35!) but he has a way too conservative view, has wild ideas, and practiced on women (gynecologist).

Showing 61-75 of 197