ForumsThe TavernAG Presidential Election 2012

197 30315
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

--I'm not sure if this fits better in the Tavern or in the WEPR, so mods, move it as you see fit(of course you would do that regardless, but still--
As I'm sure AG's American members know, in 2012 the United States will be electing a new president or reelecting the incumbent. Normally this is done with electoral colleges, primaries, etc. on a national level. But I thought it would be kind of cool to hold a mock presidential election in AG, just to see what happens. The candidates will be the same, the only difference is that the voting will be on a much smaller scale. You guys will vote for which presidential candidate you like best, and at the end of two weeks(I may extend or shorten this deadline) we will see who the president of the United States should be, according to the members of AG.
But before we start voting between Obama and the Republican candidate, first we have to vote for a Republican candidate in the primary. I'm gonna change the rules a bit on the primary: you don't have to be a Republican in order to vote on the Republican primary. That's because there is no Democratic primary, Obama is the undisputed presidential candidate for the Democrats. The Republican who gets the most votes on AG, regardless of who wins the actual primary, will be the one moving on to face off against the incumbent Obama.
Rules
1. You can only vote once, unless you vote once in the primary and once in the main election.
2. In order for your vote to count, you must provide a reason for why you want that person to be president or to win the primary.
3. Let's try and keep this civil: no slandering, name-calling, or making fun of anyone because of their vote.
We are currently voting on the Republican primary(so no voting for Obama yet, vote for which Republican you want to be the party's candidate). I will be tallying the votes at the end of week one to determine the Republican primary winner, then we will start voting on who should be the actual president. At the end of week two, I will tally the votes from that election and post who is the official President of the United States as decided by ArmorGames.

• 197 Replies
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Yes, but the fact that he's running for president shows that he has some level of confidence in his personal health.

Just because he has confidence doesn't mean that he is completely healthy. A man with a terrible heart could be completely confident in his capability to run a marathon, but that doesn't mean that he can do it without dying.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

As far as his age goes, I wouldn't have a problem voting for Ron Paul as long as he had a good running mate.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Yes, but the fact that he's running for president shows that he has some level of confidence in his personal health.

Well yes, I'm just saying that the idea of Ron Paul being president until he's 80-81, may not nessicarily be the best idea until we have facts that tell us he is expected to live that long. Because currently we aren't too sure about it. I would just feel more comfortable knowing for sure that hes going to make it. Or, be pretty sure.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Ronald Reagan was 83 when he left office. He died ten years later at the age of 93.

Age has nothing to do with it. As before, you should place your vote and support with the candidate whom you believe has the best views, not because they happen to be old or young.

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,917 posts
Peasant

Ron Paul. He has Amurica's best interests in mind, bringing home the troops, no taxes yadayadayada.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Republican Primary
Ron Paul: 3
Mitt Romney: 1
Jon Huntsman: 1
Rick Santorum: 0
Newt Gingrich: 0
Rick Perry: 0

Just to be clear: I'm counting Dudeguy's and not counting Pickpocket's because of substance. Dudeguy did give policies he liked(although it was kind of weak), whereas Pickpocket just said he agreed with the dude.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Age has nothing to do with it. As before, you should place your vote and support with the candidate whom you believe has the best views, not because they happen to be old or young.

And I am doing that, however you cannot deny that age is a factor! I don't want some guy dying on our country in office, just because he was too old to handle the stress of the job.

As far as his age goes, I wouldn't have a problem voting for Ron Paul as long as he had a good running mate.

However I'm concerned that he's going to pick someone from the Tea Party, or another nut like Sarah Palin.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Meh... I vote for myself and use my modly powerz to censor anyone who is in opposition. I win teh internets xD

On a more serious note, I get more and more frustrated with politics every election. It seems like the lies get bigger, the intellect gets smaller, and the public generally toes along with whatever candidate looks best in their campaign ads. Seriously considering moving to an abandoned fallout shelter and telling the rest of the world to F off...

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I would try to find more about why I like him, but looking on the internet I can only find weird sex jokes or sites that try to shoot him down. Anything that does support him (that I can find) hardly goes into anything for him.

Because he's anti gay, black people, abortion, birth control, and the list goes on.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Republican Primary
Ron Paul: 3
Rick Santorum: 1
M. R. Walker: 1

Yes children, humor has officially entered the thread.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Objection. Although this forum is not necessarily in the place where a political survey would be, I still feel that it is necessary to maintain the integrity of the race. I feel that M. R. Walker's vote for himself should be discounted and rendered void until he votes for an actual candidate.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I would like to cast my second vote, which I won from a contest I held, for Walker.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I'd rather vote for Walker than for anyone else on that list. Hes without a doubt my first choice.

If I had to pick from that list I'd pick Ron Paul. Do I like his ideas? No. Not really. I don't like his ideas on abortion, I don't like his ideas on energy, but at least I know what he'll do. I know hes going to go after what he says he will. And since I know he will, maybe people will see how rediculous it is, maybe they'll see how this hurts us.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

So we can have write-ins then? Then I pick Gabe Newell. Why you ask? Well even though he works in Valve time he and his team get things done. Knows how to make oodles of money from his games and still maintain a connection to the community of gamers that few can match Id trust him to listen to his voters. As for fixing the economy he can just shift the economy on to TF2 standards and it should sort itself out. As for foreign policy Gabe probably has no clue and wont try to say he will. Thats better than having no idea and pretending you do.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

So we can have write-ins then?

You misunderstand...putting Walker on the list was a joke. He's not an actual candidate.

Then I pick Gabe Newell. Why you ask? Well even though he works in Valve time he and his team get things done. Knows how to make oodles of money from his games and still maintain a connection to the community of gamers that few can match Id trust him to listen to his voters. As for fixing the economy he can just shift the economy on to TF2 standards and it should sort itself out. As for foreign policy Gabe probably has no clue and wont try to say he will. Thats better than having no idea and pretending you do.

Aaand...no.

Republican Primary
Ron Paul: 4
Rick Santorum: 1
Showing 31-45 of 197