ForumsThe TavernAG Presidential Election 2012

197 30319
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

--I'm not sure if this fits better in the Tavern or in the WEPR, so mods, move it as you see fit(of course you would do that regardless, but still--
As I'm sure AG's American members know, in 2012 the United States will be electing a new president or reelecting the incumbent. Normally this is done with electoral colleges, primaries, etc. on a national level. But I thought it would be kind of cool to hold a mock presidential election in AG, just to see what happens. The candidates will be the same, the only difference is that the voting will be on a much smaller scale. You guys will vote for which presidential candidate you like best, and at the end of two weeks(I may extend or shorten this deadline) we will see who the president of the United States should be, according to the members of AG.
But before we start voting between Obama and the Republican candidate, first we have to vote for a Republican candidate in the primary. I'm gonna change the rules a bit on the primary: you don't have to be a Republican in order to vote on the Republican primary. That's because there is no Democratic primary, Obama is the undisputed presidential candidate for the Democrats. The Republican who gets the most votes on AG, regardless of who wins the actual primary, will be the one moving on to face off against the incumbent Obama.
Rules
1. You can only vote once, unless you vote once in the primary and once in the main election.
2. In order for your vote to count, you must provide a reason for why you want that person to be president or to win the primary.
3. Let's try and keep this civil: no slandering, name-calling, or making fun of anyone because of their vote.
We are currently voting on the Republican primary(so no voting for Obama yet, vote for which Republican you want to be the party's candidate). I will be tallying the votes at the end of week one to determine the Republican primary winner, then we will start voting on who should be the actual president. At the end of week two, I will tally the votes from that election and post who is the official President of the United States as decided by ArmorGames.

• 197 Replies
PerryKid
PerryKid
1,269 posts
Nomad

You can only vote for Barrack Obama, or Ron Paul.

I know... I wish we could vote for Vermin, have you seen his ideas?
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

My vote is for Barrack Obama. All of these Republicans have intentionally been blocking any bill that would give him a "win" no matter how beneficial that bill would be for the American People. The Republicans claim to represent the middle class yet they want to expand the wealth gap. I'm not saying that if you're filthy rich you need to pay 75% tax, however you should definitely pay a whole lot more than 15% *coughMITTROMNEYcough*

phycticpotato
phycticpotato
132 posts
Nomad

[quote=zakyman]I'm not saying that if you're filthy rich you need to pay 75% tax, however you should definitely pay a whole lot more than 15% [/quote]

Why should one man who has a lot of money pay more than one who has little money. They are both losing the same percentage and the richer loses more while the poorer loses less. Why make the rich people pay more money because they were successful in life?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Why should one man who has a lot of money pay more than one who has little money. They are both losing the same percentage and the richer loses more while the poorer loses less. Why make the rich people pay more money because they were successful in life?

Because most of these parasites made a fortune with their companies and then decided to move them to China so they don't have to pay decent salaries to the workers of their own country. As if it wasn't enough, they get tax breaks using loopholes in the law to get tax breaks anyway (Obama is trying to close those loopholes BTW). Those filthy *******s need to pay for their thievery and pay the same percentage as anybody else. Also there should be a 500% tax imposed on product made in China to the traitors who moved their factories there. That money could be used to help the patriotic companies who chose to stay in America.
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Why make the rich people pay more money because they were successful in life?

First of all, because they can afford it. If you're making 20 million a year, you should have to pay at least 40% tax on that. Also, no more crap tax laws like 15% from profit from the stock market.
OoberxAllen
OoberxAllen
147 posts
Nomad

Seeing as I'm independent and don't completely agree with any party the last two elections have been difficult for me.

I honestly just haven't liked any of the candidates. But in this election I would like to see Ron Paul beat President Obama.

Even another Democrat would be better than him..

So if we're still keeping count on vote mine goes to Paul

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I'm not saying that if you're filthy rich you need to pay 75% tax, however you should definitely pay a whole lot more than 15% *coughMITTROMNEYcough*

Mitt Romney pays 15% Income Tax because you only have to pay 15% on any income from investments. When you and I pay income tax, we have to pay into medicare and social security, but income taxed from investments doesn't have medicare and social security taken from it. I think this was originally put in place because they didn't want senior citizens to pay a bunch of their only source of income away.

First of all, because they can afford it. If you're making 20 million a year, you should have to pay at least 40% tax on that. Also, no more crap tax laws like 15% from profit from the stock market.

Read this, and then read my above post. kthxbai
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Can anybody see my post? Because I can't.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Obama: 6
Paul: 7

Paul retains the lead but Obama's still right behind him.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Obama: 6
Paul: 7

Paul retains a narrow lead, but Obama is right behind him.

phycticpotato
phycticpotato
132 posts
Nomad

First of all, because they can afford it. If you're making 20 million a year, you should have to pay at least 40% tax on that.

I do agree to some extent about what you and SSTG said. However, not all the rich people in America have earned thier money decietfully. A lot of the wealthier people have worked for years for their position and paycheck. Why raise their taxes because the of the scumbags who are getting their money through loopholes and trickery.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

First of all, because they can afford it. If you're making 20 million a year, you should have to pay at least 40% tax on that.

What right has the government to decide to take away a higher proportion of my income just because I happen to work harder and ended up climbing the corporate ladder more? Why? Doesn't cut any ice with me.

I use the same roads, I use the same hospitals, the amount spent on ''defending'' me is not higher than it is on the hobo down the street. So why should I pay more if I don't cost the state more? In fact, I cost less, because I rely less on social security or pay outs.

So again, why should the rich pay more?
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Guess Im going to have to go with Ron Paul. Not really overwhelmed by either candidate really but I figure Ill give someone else a crack at the economy.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Because the money has to come from somewhere. In 2009, $1,175,422,000,000 were collected through income tax. 2.25 percent of that came from the bottom half of income earners. So, if the top half contributed the same, we would only have $52,893,990,000 (much less). Even if the bottom half paid ten times as much as they do now, and the top half paid the some amount as them, we would still be reducing the income tax revenue by over half.

Again, that is increasing the lower half's taxes by ten fold. Ten times the strain, and only half the revenue.

The rich pay more because they are the only ones who can. Reduce the total budget, and sure, you can reduce their taxes.

All info from the irs. It isn't hard to find.

On a related note, Ron Paul is coming to my college on Friday. Should be a good time.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

They should not pay more but pay the same % of taxes as anyone else.

I'll vote for Obama again because he's the only one who's actually trying to help the middle and lower class by making parasites like Mitt Romney pay the right amount of tax, not 13.9%.

I hope that his State of the Union speech convince those who were deceived by the Republican propaganda to come back and vote for him.

I don't see any candidates in the Republican camp that is really willing to help everybody, not just the rich parasites who don't contribute in anyway to help the economy (the traitors who moved their factories to China and keep getting tax breaks).

I could have written 75% of his speech because he said pretty much what I've been thinking all along. If the Republican would stop being greedy suns of beaches and stop blocking his bills, the economy would recover much faster.
Showing 106-120 of 197