ForumsThe TavernWhich do you prefer?

23 3757
unknown456
unknown456
47 posts
Peasant

Seeing as how alot of movies are based off books which do you think is better-book or movie.

• 23 Replies
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

You can't compare both. One is expressed in words, and literary inclined people will surely appreciate the fine prose and eloquent expression. The other is a two hour long screening of pictures, which appeals to our visual and audio senses.

In many cases, I disagree. A) many writers are able to wonderful mental images and sounds through writing, and B) many movies have scripts better than the book they are based off of.

For instance, I would say Fightclub is a better movie than book. It even has better quotes.

An instance in which I would agree with you is with Heart of Darkness. The book is amazingly well written. Apocalypse Now, which is thematically based off of HOD, is a masterpiece as well, but for different reasons. It uses little words, and relies on powerful images to convey a message.

In general, I prefer the book.

The only thing I can say is that some movies completely rubbish up the book's original plot.

Sometimes, directors do this to make the plot better suited to the cinema while still conveying the books themes and messages. Look at Bladerunner/Do Robots Dream of Electronic Sheep. The plot was changed quite a bit (I mean, there weren't really even any robotic sheep in the movie!) but it is still one of the best sci-fi films ever made.
ericthai1
ericthai1
1,030 posts
Nomad

Books,feel like the movies changed things too much.

DrCool1
DrCool1
210 posts
Bard

I would choose a movie over a book any day because I dont like to read.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

Movies may miss out parts but they put the writing into something you can see and don't have too imagine and they are more sociable because you don't read a book with your family but you can watch a film with them.

So I prefer movies books are only good for helping me fall asleep

skittlezareAWESOME
skittlezareAWESOME
54 posts
Nomad

I have always thought that the books are better. They let you see the characters thoughts/opinions and it is packed with information that keeps you reading for hours, while the movie just shows you what is actually going on and shows almost NO details. But, then again, this is only my opinion. It's not that I hate movies. I'm almost what you would call a movie addict. I just love books too.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I always have and always will prefer books. When I read a book, it is pretty literally the exact same for me as if I were watching it as a movie, except the plot is correct, the characters look exactly like how they're described, no scenes are skipped, and the special effects I can create in my mind are far better than what they have on movies.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

Depends on the movie,lord of the rings movie was better than book, and also was harry potter.
I haven't read the lord of the rings books but i have read the harry potter books and they are WAY better than the movie, the movies didn't have half of the book in them it seemed like and i can barely watch the last two without screaming at the TV the movies are a disgrace to the books or at least all of them after the second
Drink
Drink
1,621 posts
Blacksmith

normally i always prefer the movie to the book..i never was tested but i must have adhd or something i cant sit and read a book for longer then a sentence or i start day dreaming or losing concentration of reading so i prefer to see back and be entertained by the movie version

Showing 16-23 of 23