ForumsForum GamesThe Search: An RPG

134 114462
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Yes, yet another RPG. But, I assure you, this one will be different! My goal with this game is to be very accessible, and allow for creativity. Furthermore, character abilities will be determined by your actions, not a character sheet. There will be no extensive equipment/stat list that you need to fill out. Anybody can join at anytime- the only requirement is that you try to be creative!

The Game:

All New/deceased players start here, no matter when they joined/died.

You wake up in the middle of a tropical rainforest. You are wearing a white t-shirt, a pair of jeans, underwear, hiking socks, and hiking boots. You have no water, no food, and most importantly, no memories. You can speak the local language (which might as well be English), and you can remember your name.

In your boot, you find a note:

Hello, [your name].
If you are reading this, it is because something horrible has happened to your mind. You are a member of the Order of the Sun. Everyone else should be regarded as an enemy. TRUST NO ONE. I must keep this message short, so that it will not be picked up by scanners. Find a person with a sun-sign, and everything will be explained.

-Your Only Friends

And that is where your story begins!

Gameplay
The point of the game is to survive and recover your memories. The game will be divided into a series of stages, with each stage beginning with a challenging trial. Upon completion of the trial, you will be granted with a special ability, unique to how you solved the trial. This ability will manifest itself as you complete the trial, and will grow in power throughout the stage. There will be aspects to your abilities that will change depending on how you use them. You do not necessarily keep your old powers in the next stage, but they might merge with your new abilities. It all depends on your actions.

In order to give people a chance, you are guaranteed to survive the first trial, which will happen almost immediately. If you die (see rules) you will be sent back to the very beginning with a new character. If you act in a way during the first trial that would normally have resulted in your death, I will inform you as such, so that you will know to be more thoughtful in the future.

Each stage will have a theme that is the same for all players, but this theme will never directly be stated. This theme (except for the first theme, which I have already chosen) will be determined by the actions of the first player to pass the trial. Therefore, there is a strategic advantage for figuring out each stage as fast as possible. You will also discover the exact nature of your powers by using them, not by me explicitly stating how they work. Similarly, the objectives of the trials will also need to be learned.

Because your abilities are based on your actions, it is important that you be as specific as possible, especially during the trials.

Character Sheet (to be posted with every action-after this point, only I can make edits to this sheet)
Name:
Physical description: (doesn't have to be long)

That's all for now! Other categories will be added as they become relevant.

Rules:
1) You can only control your own character. If you get allies along your journey, you can ask that they do things, but you can't force them to do things. For instance, you CAN do something like

"I ask Joe to open the door."

You cannot do things like

"Joe stabs the guard in the back while I shoot the other one in the face."

2) You must respect events that happened to you. No whining! I'll try to be as fair as possible. There will be no "You randomly get knifed in the back" type of things. A careful player will be able to avoid all danger (well, maybe not other players).

3)If you DO get killed by a NPC, I will warn you the first time. You can then go back and change your action. But only once, any future deaths will be permanent. If another player kills you, you die the first time. Otherwise, it would not be fair to the victorious player.

4) All equipment will be "generic". There are no brand name guns or other weapons here, to keep things simple. There will be rifles, but no Winchesters.

That is it! I hope you enjoy. If you have questions, just ask!
  • 134 Replies
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Name: Mav
Physical Description: Tallish, fair hair and skinned, with a wiry frame.

Here we go!

You are in a rain forest. Visibility is poor due to foliage, and you have no water. You are getting thirsty.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Name: Aleister Pike
Physical Description: 6'3", thin, pale, light green eyes, short brown hair

Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. I take the biggest sharp rock nearby, and forge ahead, using to cut anything blocking the way.

You cut a swath through the forest, taking your revenge upon the vines that didn't actually poison you.

Eventually, you hear voices about 20 feet ahead. You cannot see them yet, and they cannot see you.

inferedmonkey
inferedmonkey
942 posts
Peasant

Name:Tanner Easley
Physical description: 6 foot with brown eyes and light brown hair 183 pounds.

I try to find a rock sneak up behind and hit him in the head with it.If I cant find a rock the I just choke him from behind and drag him behind the cart while I do for cover.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

I get on the ground, take a little cover, and see if they come closer.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I try to find a rock sneak up behind and hit him in the head with it.If I cant find a rock the I just choke him from behind and drag him behind the cart while I do for cover.

You don't have time to grab a rock, but you manage to sneak behind the second man and drag him by his neck behind the wagon. Your grip and sneaking abilities are oddly advanced.

The first man kicks the wagon over, knocking you to the ground. You do not release the second man, who is now seconds from death.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I get on the ground, take a little cover, and see if they come closer.

They appear to be walking away from you. At least, the voices are getting quieter.

inferedmonkey
inferedmonkey
942 posts
Peasant

I take the weapon from the man I'm choking and fire it at the other man using the first mans body as a shield.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

I keep my rock armed, and quietly follow the voices.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

Name:Maya Brown
Physical description: Short, kind loving, light brown hair, Blue eyes

I kill both guys when they aren't looking at each other with my glock. Then I take their gun, water and some food

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I take the weapon from the man I'm choking and fire it at the other man using the first mans body as a shield.

Very Nice! I like it.
You continue choking the second man, and he dies. The fact that he died much quicker than one would expect registers in your mind, but no matter.

You pull his body between you and the first man, just in time to save yourself from fire. Using his gun, you fire several times. At this close range, you are able to hit him, even though you are firing one handed.

Your shots are lethal, and he dies.

Around you are the two dead men, their rifles, canteens, and the wagon. Upon further examination, you appear to have fired all three shots within a respectively small area, given you were firing a rifle one handed.

The other man, however, presents a more gruesome site. Despite the fact that you were simply choking him with your left hand, you all but squeezed his head off.

You have completed the first trial!

You are: THE ORIENTAL BITTERSWEET

Your new sheet:

Stage: 1
Attribute: THE ORIENTAL BITTERSWEET
Known Abilities: Grip, dexterity, stealth
Energy: 9/10
Energy Regain Rate: very fast

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep my rock armed, and quietly follow the voices.

You get close enough to make them out:
They are two men, both armed with rifles. They are walking away from you, and the one on the left is carrying a hiking backpack. They both have canteens. They do not see you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I kill both guys when they aren't looking at each other with my glock. Then I take their gun, water and some food

Not only do you not have a glock, but glocks don't even exist in this universe.

inferedmonkey
inferedmonkey
942 posts
Peasant

This game is epic! ok so now I decide to put one shot into each of there heads to make 100% sure there both dead I then search there bodies for ammo and I search the wagon and take there canteens.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

wrong post sorry

I sneak up to the first man quietly and knock him unconscious. Then I take the first man's gun and shoot the other man with it then shoot the first man so their both dead. Then I take their gun,water and food

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

I sneak up to the one without a backpack. When I'm within a foot or two, I lunge at him and stab him in the back with my rock. I then grab his rifle from behind him, with him still holding it, aim it at his buddy, and pull the trigger a couple of times.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Supplies: starting clothes, Rifle: 25 bullets, two full canteens, 5 protein bars, coffin
This game is epic! ok so now I decide to put one shot into each of there heads to make 100% sure there both dead I then search there bodies for ammo and I search the wagon and take there canteens.

After making sure that the men are dead, you find 10 total rounds of ammo. After searching the rifles, they have a combined 15 rounds of ammo. The number of shots you fired tells you each rifle can hold 10 rounds.

You take both canteens, and discover some protein bars as well.

You uncover the wagon, and discover the men were carrying a coffin through the rainforest. There is nothing else in the wagon.

------------------------------------------------------------------

wrong post sorry

I sneak up to the first man quietly and knock him unconscious. Then I take the first man's gun and shoot the other man with it then shoot the first man so their both dead. Then I take their gun,water and food

How do you *try to* knock him out? Remember, you can only *try* to do things. Its just like in real life: just because you punch someone doesn't mean you'll get an instant KO.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I sneak up to the one without a backpack. When I'm within a foot or two, I lunge at him and stab him in the back with my rock. I then grab his rifle from behind him, with him still holding it, aim it at his buddy, and pull the trigger a couple of times.

You stab the man with no back pack. The other man turns and shoots at you, but by this time you have shielded yourself and he inadvertently kills his companion. You fire a few shots, and kill the other man as well.

Around you lie two dead men, one backpack'd, one not. As you regain your breath after the quick fight, you begin to think about how lucky you were. As you think further, you realize that you didn't so much as creep behind the first man, but projected yourself there. Not really a transportation, something more organic.

You have completed the first Trial!

You are: THE SPIDER PLANT

Your new sheet:

Attribute: THE SPIDER PLANT
Known abilities: tele-regeneration*, speed
Energy: 7
Energy Regain Rate: Medium-fast

*A word I more or less made up... some of the powers you guys will be getting aren't exactly mainstream.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

I knock him unconscious by kicking him in the head

inferedmonkey
inferedmonkey
942 posts
Peasant

Supplies: starting clothes, Rifle: 25 bullets, two full canteens, 5 protein bars, coffin

I decide to open the coffin and see whats in it if it's just a body then I just continue down the road.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

I mean Name:Maya Brown

I mean I try knocking him unconscious by Kicking him in the head

Showing 31-45 of 134