ForumsForum GamesThe Search: An RPG

134 114452
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Yes, yet another RPG. But, I assure you, this one will be different! My goal with this game is to be very accessible, and allow for creativity. Furthermore, character abilities will be determined by your actions, not a character sheet. There will be no extensive equipment/stat list that you need to fill out. Anybody can join at anytime- the only requirement is that you try to be creative!

The Game:

All New/deceased players start here, no matter when they joined/died.

You wake up in the middle of a tropical rainforest. You are wearing a white t-shirt, a pair of jeans, underwear, hiking socks, and hiking boots. You have no water, no food, and most importantly, no memories. You can speak the local language (which might as well be English), and you can remember your name.

In your boot, you find a note:

Hello, [your name].
If you are reading this, it is because something horrible has happened to your mind. You are a member of the Order of the Sun. Everyone else should be regarded as an enemy. TRUST NO ONE. I must keep this message short, so that it will not be picked up by scanners. Find a person with a sun-sign, and everything will be explained.

-Your Only Friends

And that is where your story begins!

Gameplay
The point of the game is to survive and recover your memories. The game will be divided into a series of stages, with each stage beginning with a challenging trial. Upon completion of the trial, you will be granted with a special ability, unique to how you solved the trial. This ability will manifest itself as you complete the trial, and will grow in power throughout the stage. There will be aspects to your abilities that will change depending on how you use them. You do not necessarily keep your old powers in the next stage, but they might merge with your new abilities. It all depends on your actions.

In order to give people a chance, you are guaranteed to survive the first trial, which will happen almost immediately. If you die (see rules) you will be sent back to the very beginning with a new character. If you act in a way during the first trial that would normally have resulted in your death, I will inform you as such, so that you will know to be more thoughtful in the future.

Each stage will have a theme that is the same for all players, but this theme will never directly be stated. This theme (except for the first theme, which I have already chosen) will be determined by the actions of the first player to pass the trial. Therefore, there is a strategic advantage for figuring out each stage as fast as possible. You will also discover the exact nature of your powers by using them, not by me explicitly stating how they work. Similarly, the objectives of the trials will also need to be learned.

Because your abilities are based on your actions, it is important that you be as specific as possible, especially during the trials.

Character Sheet (to be posted with every action-after this point, only I can make edits to this sheet)
Name:
Physical description: (doesn't have to be long)

That's all for now! Other categories will be added as they become relevant.

Rules:
1) You can only control your own character. If you get allies along your journey, you can ask that they do things, but you can't force them to do things. For instance, you CAN do something like

"I ask Joe to open the door."

You cannot do things like

"Joe stabs the guard in the back while I shoot the other one in the face."

2) You must respect events that happened to you. No whining! I'll try to be as fair as possible. There will be no "You randomly get knifed in the back" type of things. A careful player will be able to avoid all danger (well, maybe not other players).

3)If you DO get killed by a NPC, I will warn you the first time. You can then go back and change your action. But only once, any future deaths will be permanent. If another player kills you, you die the first time. Otherwise, it would not be fair to the victorious player.

4) All equipment will be "generic". There are no brand name guns or other weapons here, to keep things simple. There will be rifles, but no Winchesters.

That is it! I hope you enjoy. If you have questions, just ask!
  • 134 Replies
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Name:Tanner Easley
Physical description: 6 foot with brown eyes and light brown hair 183 pounds.
Stage: 1
Attribute: THE ORIENTAL BITTERSWEET
Known Abilities: Grip, dexterity, stealth
Energy: 9/10
Energy Regain Rate: very fast
Supplies: starting clothes, Rifle: 25 bullets, two full canteens, 5 protein bars, coffin

I decide to open the coffin and see whats in it if it's just a body then I just continue down the road.

You pry open the coffin. Inside is a young women. She has a tattoo of a sun on her forehead. There is nothing else in the coffin.

There isn't really a road. The two men had just been dragging the wagon through the rainforest, which is probably why they were so easy to catch up to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:Maya Brown
Physical description: Short, kind loving, light brown hair, Blue eyes

I mean I try knocking him unconscious by Kicking him in the head

You, a short woman, try to kick a full grown man in the back of the head. Somehow, you succeed. He collapses to the ground, presumably unconscious. His partner immediately turns around and opens fire (it is day, and they were pretty close to each other). At this range, he hits you in the stomach, and the force knocks you down. The other gun is now out of your immediate reach.

inferedmonkey
inferedmonkey
942 posts
Peasant

Supplies: starting clothes, Rifle: 25 bullets, two full canteens, 5 protein bars, coffin

I check the women for anything on her person.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

can I redo since I only die once

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I check the women for anything on her person.

She is wearing a simple dress with no pockets. She has nothing on her person, though she does seem oddly familiar... But you can't quite place it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

can I redo since I only die once

Oh, you aren't dead yet. I won't let you die in the first trial; its kind of a freeby. This is my way of letting people get a feel for the game, without taking them immediately out of it.

inferedmonkey
inferedmonkey
942 posts
Peasant

I decide to go back to my first tactic and climb another tree to see whats around.

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

I open my eyes then try to trip the second guy. Then I grab the first guy in a choke hold and quickly grab the gun on the ground. I point the gun at the second guy as I hold the first guy hostage. If he doesn't drop his gun I shoot him. If he does drop his gun I still shoot him. Before the first guy wakes up I shoot him in the cranium.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Name: Aleister Pike
Physical Description: 6'3", thin, pale, light green eyes, short brown hair
Attribute: THE SPIDER PLANT
Known abilities: tele-regeneration*, speed
Energy: 7
Energy Regain Rate: Medium-fast

Nice. I take a rifle from one, and the ammo from the other. I look through the backpack.

(Now, could you give a little explanation on what tele-regeneration is?)

webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

Name: Brooks
Physical description: Ht.5.1 brown hair, green eyes, average weight.
Attribute: THE ASPEN
Known abilities: regeneration upon death
Energy: 0/10 Energy
Regain Rate: very slow

I drinw some water but save the rest. I collect everything I find. I then drive the motorcycle around at high speeds looking around

The high speed is for if the see me. They can't shoot me.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Known Abilities: Grip, dexterity, stealth, climbing
Energy: 10/10
Supplies: starting clothes, Rifle: 25 bullets, two full canteens, 5 protein bars,

I decide to go back to my first tactic and climb another tree to see whats around.

You climb a tree- and are shocked to find that it is somehow even easier than before. You zip up to the very highest branch, and look around. It is pretty much all forest as far as you can see except-

There appears to be a clearing in the distance. You can't see what is in the clearing, though it looks quite large.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I open my eyes then try to trip the second guy. Then I grab the first guy in a choke hold and quickly grab the gun on the ground. I point the gun at the second guy as I hold the first guy hostage. If he doesn't drop his gun I shoot him. If he does drop his gun I still shoot him. Before the first guy wakes up I shoot him in the cranium.

Kicking from the ground, you catch the second man in the ankles with your foot. He stumbles a little; you were to far away to know him down completely.

You use the time to grab the rifle on the ground. But by the time you get it pointed at the second man, he is already firing at you. Though he hits you in the chest twice, you manage to pop off a round, hitting him in the head.

You shoot the unarmed unconscious man in the head, as well.

Around you are two dead bodies, their equipment (including their guns and canteens), and a tank of propane. Luckily, no one hit the propane during the fight.

You examine your wounds. Surprisingly, they do not appear to be that bad. With a shaking hand, you pull a bullet out of your stomach. While you are still bleeding heavily, the bullet, fired from a rifle at close range, only went in maybe half an inch.

You cave completed the first trial!

You are: THE BLACK LOCUST

Your new sheet:

Attribute: THE BLACK LOCUST
Known abilities: Hard skin
Energy: 5/10
Energy Regain rate: Slow
Health Status: medium, bleeding
--------------------------------------------------------------

Energy: 7.5
Equipment: Rifle, 27 rounds. Backpack. Two full canteens.

Nice. I take a rifle from one, and the ammo from the other. I look through the backpack.

(Now, could you give a little explanation on what tele-regeneration is?)

In the back pack, you find some protein bars. Searching through the bag some more, you find some objects at the bottom. You dump them all out, revealing three severed hands. Each hand has a small tattoo of a sun on the pad of the thumb.

There is nothing else in the bag.

Tele-regeneration? Its like what a spider plant does: you are able to regenerate yourself at the point of your furthest reach. In order to keep your power from being TOO powerful, lets assume that your old body is "absorbed" as this occurs. As far as pure transport goes, it isn't nearly as good as actual teleportation, but I'm sure you can find a creative way to use it. I'm not going to get more specific than that, you'll probably learn more just by using it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
equipment: Rifle, 20 rounds. One set of clothing, bloody. Two canteens. 5 protein bars. Motorcycle, no gas.

I drinw some water but save the rest. I collect everything I find. I then drive the motorcycle around at high speeds looking around

The high speed is for if the see me. They can't shoot me.

You find the keys, and drive around in the middle of the night on a motorcycle in a dense rainforest as fast as you can. Somehow, you manage to ride around for a bit without killing yourself before the motorcycle runs out of gas.

As your luck would have it, you have discovered a small road. It is now day.

You are also nude, since you did not bother to get dressed after emerging from your old body. The only clothes you have are ones that belonged to the second man you killed. All the other clothes either burnt to a crisp or are soaked in blood.

No one is trying to shoot you.

webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

equipment: Rifle, 20 rounds. One set of clothing, bloody. Two canteens. 5 protein bars. Motorcycle, no gas

I put on the clothes and follow the road doing the hide behind the tree manuver

Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

Attribute: THE BLACK LOCUST
Known abilities: Hard skin
Energy: 5/10
Energy Regain rate: Slow
Health Status: medium, bleeding

I drink half the water from one canteen, with the rest of the water in that canteen, I pour some water on my hand and put it on my wounds cleaning away the blood. Then with the gun I shoot both guys in the head in case they aren't dead. I also save the other canteen for later.

webkinzlover7654
webkinzlover7654
2,790 posts
Nomad

equipment: Rifle, 20 rounds. One set of clothing, bloody. Two canteens. 5 protein bars. Motorcycle, no gas

I put on the clothes and follow the road doing the hide behind the tree manuver BUT FIRST I SEARCH FOR MAYA WHILE LEAVING NOTES IN THE GROUND SO I KNOW WHERE THE ROAD IS, but I put the notes in secret spots(behind trees, bushes, or in dark dark shadows), so people don't notice them

Chess341
Chess341
960 posts
Shepherd

Name:Justin Erwin
Physical description: 6 ft. 11 in. 200 lbs blue eyes dirty blond hair and blue eyes.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Energy: 7.5
Equipment: Rifle, 27 rounds. Backpack. Two full canteens.

Nice. I keep the protein bars and lose the hands. I continue ahead quickly through the rainforest, keeping my eyes and ears open.

inferedmonkey
inferedmonkey
942 posts
Peasant

Known Abilities: Grip, dexterity, stealth, climbing
Energy: 10/10
Supplies: starting clothes, Rifle: 25 bullets, two full canteens, 5 protein bars,

I head for the clearing to see if anything is there.

Showing 46-60 of 134