ForumsWEPRHeaven and Hell?

811 188863
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

I am catholic so I believe that there is heaven and hell. I do beleive that you have to do good in this world to be able to go to heaven but if you do evil and bad more than good in this world I do believe that you will go to hell.

Heaven it is hard to concept the thought of living for eternity in heaven and that everything would be perfect and everyone would be nice and kind.

Hell it is also very hard to think that you will be punished for many years until getting the chance to go to heaven. Also you could be in hell for eternity suffering if you do very bad things in this world.

What is you thought on heaven and hell?

Do you beleive in heaven and hell?

Do you think you will go to heaven or hell?

Is God really real?

Discuss, it can be short or long answers or views.

• 811 Replies
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Which has already been explained as a mistranslation. Just stating this over does nothing to help your case.

Okay but I said that they found a chariot wheel in the Red Sea where Mosesand the Isrealites would have walked over and were the Egyptians died.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Okay but I said that they found a chariot wheel in the Red Sea where Mosesand the Isrealites would have walked over and were the Egyptians died.

I'm afraid that isn't much of a good argument. Here's what the people will say, "It probably fell out of a boat, ment to carry troops through the sea."
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Ya I know that there are lot's of other reasons there would be a wheel there but it still could be the wheel from an Egyptain chariot.

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Mount Sinai is a real place. So then there is one thing that is accurate and true in the Bible. Also Moses received the ten commandments there.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Ya I know that there are lot's of other reasons there would be a wheel there but it still could be the wheel from an Egyptain chariot.

It could be. That's because it's called faith, noone is gonna take away the possibility. But it is no evidence and thus, why insist on it?

Mount Sinai is a real place. So then there is one thing that is accurate and true in the Bible.

Isn't it kinda sad if you have to clinge on one single thing in the bible that is accurate? Yes, so one thing is accurate, and there are certainly more. Doesn't make the rest automatically true. You may believe so, but keep that to yourself.
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Yes but it says that the Bible is accurate because plagues did happen in Egypt.

Of course some sort of plague happened in Egypt. Plagues as "highly contagious and deadly disease" have happened virtually everywhere.
Anyhow, plague and pestis are some times used as interchangeable terms. Yes, there is evidence that a plague happened in ancient Egypt, a bubonic plague. You know black death ...
Bubonic Plague Traced to Ancient Egypt

Again, this does not -definitely- prove the veracity of the Bible.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Yes but it says that the Bible is accurate because plagues did happen in Egypt.

Harrry Potter is accurate because Tottenham Court Road exists.

Let's say we found some ancient Roman coins as some dig site. They could have been dropped by a Roman soldier or other citizen, but they could have also been dropped by space chipmunks disguising themselves as Romans.

As I had pointed out the source of the claim is vary dubious at best as well.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Let's talk about what Hell would be like. Let's see the bible says that Hell is a lake of fire. You go through eternal death in there.
Remember those cartoons like Tom and Jerry? In one episode Tom ends up going through the ground, after trying to jump in a small pool, and reaches Hell. The devil then carry's Tom back to the living and throws him away as if to say, "Stay out! I can't torture the living."

midnight
midnight
13 posts
Nomad

MageGreyWolf

Why should such a being who intentionally makes things unfair be worshiped?

If God were truely fair. In every single way. He would never give mankind the option of repenting (aka: asking for forgiveness).
So in a way. You are right. He isnt fair.
Instead he chose to allow Jesus to sacrifice himself in order to bridge the gap between sinful mankind and the Holy God. God cannot live with sin. Therefor we needed to be washed clean. Jesus did that.
What would you rather... Be Killed because you are unworthy? Or be given a chance to live? Its Called MERCY. And it is given. He does not have to extend that MERCY to everyone. Be lucky that you have a chance.

MageGreyWolf
Which ancient artifacts are you speaking of?

The dead sea scrolls. And the bible. Early Manuscripts (refrencing other books of the bible) are still being found to this very day.

Bladerunner
wikipedia is a good site, despite the constant flak it gets from ignorant people.

Hear say is hear say. Plain and simple. If you werent there to record what Hitler said about what religion he was or if he was athiest. Then how can we know for a fact? (There are no records of him saying either) then all you can do is guess.
Therefor, it is not fact. And you cannot state it as such. [Well i guess you could but then you would look like an ignorant fool yourself]

MageGreyWolf
With a religious mindset they have taken this ability and fooled themselves into thinking they are really holding that conversation.

And yet, with a non-religious mindset you claim to know how i think and how i reason; without proof. Are you me? Are you every Religious person on the face of the earth? It seems to me you dont believe in God at all. So dont tell me what i think. Because to be honest, you really dont know how i think. Use logic. You are not me, and i am not you. So saying "Midnight thinks this ------" just makes you a fool.
Proverbs 26:11 "As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly."
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

If God were truely fair. In every single way. He would never give mankind the option of repenting (aka: asking for forgiveness).

This first premise doesn't make any sense what so ever. Are you saying if God were fair no one would get any opportunity to be forgiven for what they did? Wouldn't it be fair to give everyone an equal opportunity for this?

Instead he chose to allow Jesus to sacrifice himself in order to bridge the gap between sinful mankind and the Holy God. God cannot live with sin. Therefor we needed to be washed clean. Jesus did that.
What would you rather... Be Killed because you are unworthy? Or be given a chance to live? Its Called MERCY. And it is given. He does not have to extend that MERCY to everyone. Be lucky that you have a chance.

I actually find this chosen method to be down right barbaric and even horrific coming from a God. There really is no need for an all powerful, or at the very least a being powerful enough to create a universe to have such a requirement. All such a being would need to do is say "You're forgiven" and that would be that. This blood sacrifice is nothing but petty and disgusting.

The dead sea scrolls. And the bible. Early Manuscripts (refrencing other books of the bible) are still being found to this very day.

How does that prove the Bible to be true? All that tells us is people made copies of these stories.

Hear say is hear say. Plain and simple. If you werent there to record what Hitler said about what religion he was or if he was athiest. Then how can we know for a fact? (There are no records of him saying either)

Wrong, we do have records of what Hitler had said. In first hand accounts.

And yet, with a non-religious mindset you claim to know how i think and how i reason; without proof.

Actually I'm basing this off not only psychological studies conducted on the matter but also from my own experience as a theist.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

I actually find this chosen method to be down right barbaric and even horrific coming from a God. There really is no need for an all powerful, or at the very least a being powerful enough to create a universe to have such a requirement. All such a being would need to do is say "You're forgiven" and that would be that. This blood sacrifice is nothing but petty and disgusting.

There are a lot of things that people don't understand. But they are done with a reason. In the bible people had to sacrifice lambs in order for God to forgive them. Jesus is the lamb of God. Jesus was the perfect man because he had no sin. Jesus "wanted" to take our place of punishment, that we so deserve, and cleansed us of our sins.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

@MageGrayWolf

Wrong, we do have records of what Hitler had said. In first hand accounts.

Yes I agree with you. But then how do you know that the Gospels aren't first hand accounts? Just because they are so old and have been translated and copied alot?
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

This blood sacrifice is nothing but petty and disgusting

First of all the Romans didn't crucifie Jesus to be forgiven. Nobody really knew about the Christain faith Jesus was teaching except his followers. They didn't sacrifice him for God's forgiveness. It is only till after Jesus was resurredted from his tomb they knew that Jesus will forgive their sins.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Clearing some things up:

The Dead Sea Scrolls are already found. The Bible is already found. They are just finding small manuscripts of the Christain faith. They are not finding them everyday.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Sorry messed up alittle the Bible wasn't found. It is a collection of books, letters and peotry sometimes, that are part of the Catholic faith the Bible just doesn't get found.

Showing 466-480 of 811