ForumsWEPRHeaven and Hell?

811 188860
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

I am catholic so I believe that there is heaven and hell. I do beleive that you have to do good in this world to be able to go to heaven but if you do evil and bad more than good in this world I do believe that you will go to hell.

Heaven it is hard to concept the thought of living for eternity in heaven and that everything would be perfect and everyone would be nice and kind.

Hell it is also very hard to think that you will be punished for many years until getting the chance to go to heaven. Also you could be in hell for eternity suffering if you do very bad things in this world.

What is you thought on heaven and hell?

Do you beleive in heaven and hell?

Do you think you will go to heaven or hell?

Is God really real?

Discuss, it can be short or long answers or views.

• 811 Replies
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

I read a study on Jesus' color. This person said he wasn't really white. This person said, well, he was some different color. Ture or not it's something to learn about. This makes me wonder what color Adam and Eve were.

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

I read a study on Jesus' color. This person said he wasn't really white.

Of course he wasn't white, he lived in Jerusalem were they would be tanned and would be the colour brown. We just depict him as to look like one of us so then we thing he looked like us so then there is no racism of people saying I don't like Jesus because he is brown skin coloured.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Of course he wasn't white, he lived in Jerusalem were they would be tanned and would be the colour brown. We just depict him as to look like one of us so then we thing he looked like us so then there is no racism of people saying I don't like Jesus because he is brown skin coloured.

Some christian groups are already racist because they think he was white. Some whites decided to go and kill of any person that wasn't white believing they were unworthy of God.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Some christian groups are already racist because they think he was white. Some whites decided to go and kill of any person that wasn't white believing they were unworthy of God.

Seems to be a relevant article.

[url=http://www.atheistnexus.org/profiles/blogs/the-difference-between]The Difference Between Religious Beliefs and Mental Illness[url]

Please note that this is a fairly neutral paper which mainly addresses religious people defending their religion by attacking the sanity of the extremist in question. I just found it interesting.

Ya but he knew he was going to die and he accepted the fact he was going to die and wanted to show his love by dieing for us on the cross and forgiving our sins.

Why was it even necessary in the first place? An all powerful God couldn't just forgive people for a crime committed by their great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great ancestors? We don't send a murderer's descendants to jail, so why are the descendants of Adam and Eve supposedly inherently sinners. Hasn't God ever heard of, "Blame not the son for the crimes of the father?"

There is a different way they word it when religion teachers teach it but that is the best way I can.

Yes, because they're trying to put it in the best light possible. But no matter how you look at it, it comes down to a barbaric sacrifice which was entirely unnecessary.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

How would these "old guys" know what Jesus told Judas? I highly doubt that these people could know what Jesus told Judas.

*sigh* When I was talking about the "old guys" I was simply referring to the fact that the Gospel of Judas is an Apocrypha, meaning it is a non-canonical gospel; meaning some old guys decided this gospel had no place in the canonical bible.

Now about the gospel itself, if the translations are correct it would indicate that Judas was actually just following Jesus' demand of betraying him so that he could leave his body and go to ehaven again. Which would mean that Jesus actually planned all this.

Of course, there are controversies about the text; as comes with no surprise, there are theologists that say that the text is describing Judas not as friend, but as possessed by a demon. In my opinion, some of those people may say this simply because they reject anything that's not officially in the bible. But it could be that there are really translation issues, it has been translated by the National Geographic but it still could be. Up to now I don't think either side should be trusted; I simply find the thought interesting that Judas would have sacrificed himself and his image for so long, in the name of the christ. Just think of the implications if it was true...^^

Gospel of Judas (Wikipedia article, as always with links and footmarks to further literature about the subject if you don't trust wiki itself enough)
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Yes it would change alot of things if this is true but since the Bible and the Catholic teachings have a different view on Judas I beleive that my beleif is true.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Yes it would change alot of things if this is true but since the Bible and the Catholic teachings have a different view on Judas I beleive that my beleif is true.

....Because the Catholic people tell you to?

Why do you just blindly believe them?
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Thought this might add to the conversation. Pulled it off macfan1's about:

Matthew 12:31-32 "And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."

So, if you blaspheme the name of the Holy Spirit will be doomed to hell. Reminds me of the Blasphemy Challenge. (Look it up on YouTube)

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

So, if you blaspheme the name of the Holy Spirit will be doomed to hell. Reminds me of the Blasphemy Challenge. (Look it up on YouTube)

According to the bible, but what makes you think that is real?

It also says it is impossible for a rich man to get into heaven, but I don't see you giving away all your stuff...
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

....Because the Catholic people tell you to?
Why do you just blindly believe them?

I studied the bible and read studies about the bible. I've read biographys about how accurate it is and how it was used to find lost relics. For all those people who say it all untrue there just people who are are extremely doubtfull of the bible. I've read about things that say the bible can't possibly be an accurate history book, just a book full of stories. But I had to study and compare the bible with other history books. Also there are people today who have studied history and compared it with the bible some admitting that it is acurate. There is a christian who holds a bachelor's degree named Linda Lacour Hobar. She has published several history books. She believes that the Bible is also an acurate history book.

You probably would say, " This woman at to lose her degree. She's an idiot!" but I don't think of it that way.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I studied the bible and read studies about the bible.

So you should know the full stories of David (like where he ***** that kid?), Job (his family died, killed by god. But apparently that was Ok, since he got a "better" one...), and all the other horrible things that happened in the Bible?

I've read biographys about how accurate it is and how it was used to find lost relics

....? What are you talking about? The Bible has never been used to "find lost relics", could I see your sources? And you do know what a biography is right? I is a story about someone's life, how does that relate to finding relics?

For all those people who say it all untrue there just people who are are extremely doubtfull of the bible

All those who say that stuff from some guy's life are untrue are just saying the Bible is wrong? There are plenty of Christians who think that you are also insane.

I've read about things that say the bible can't possibly be an accurate history book, just a book full of stories.

You said you read the BIble, right? So you should know what these are:

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/1862166.jpg

That is right. The pyramids of Egypt. Do you know what they are in real life? Large, stone buildings built by Egyptians to bury their kings. Do you know what they are in the Bible? Large, stone buildings built by the Jews to house grain. The bible is obviously wrong here. Or do people usually store dead with grain?

But I had to study and compare the bible with other history books.

Not without staying objective. You went in wanting to find something, so you did. Lets say you are a doctor. You are going to find out what is making a patient sick. If you go in thinking "It is cancer", then you will no doubt find something that can be attributed to cancer, ignore the rest, and call it cancer, even if it was just a cold. You must stay objective, and you seem to have trouble with that.

Also there are people today who have studied history and compared it with the bible some admitting that it is acurate.

Only Christians. With biases.

There is a christian who holds a bachelor's degree named Linda Lacour Hobar. She has published several history books

Because she is a Christian. With biases. Can you bring up an entire community, with a ton of Atheists and other religious people, who think that the Bible is an accurate source? No. You can't, because it isn't and saying so would be insane.

You probably would say, " This woman at to lose her degree. She's an idiot!" but I don't think of it that way.

No, I say "LOOK AT THOSE PYRAMIDS! There where no plagues in Egypt, no giant flood, the Jews didn't build the pyramids, nothing in the Bible happened.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I won't question the few historically correct passages of the bible. But my point is, the story of Judas' betrayal of Jesus is not part of those; there's no way to know whether the canonical gospels say the truth and all the truth, or whether the gospel of Judas adds correctly to the bible. Thus being a matter of belief.

My only critique is, why would you reject the Gospel of Judas on the sole base that it is not part of the canonical gospels? You can say you're convinced that Judas wasn't Jesus' friend, and that'd be fine; however I would call it wrong to say you believe it is so only because that gospel is not canonical.

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

According to the bible, but what makes you think that is real?
No, I don't think it's real, I just wanted to share that.

-Stephen
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

But I had to study and compare the bible with other history books. Also there are people today who have studied history and compared it with the bible some admitting that it is acurate.

You mean like how this guy compared the Bible to known history?

Skeptic Bible Study: The Jesus Timeline
Skeptic Bible Study: The Jesus Timeline Part II
The Jesus Timeline Part III
Jesus Timeline Part IV

Oh if this was all historical you wouldn't need apologetics.

There is a christian who holds a bachelor's degree named Linda Lacour Hobar. She has published several history books. She believes that the Bible is also an acurate history book.

She holds a bachelor's degree in arts. However her views were heavily tainted with religious bias given her up bringing. (Interview with her) Oh and let's nto mention the degree comes from a Christian University in Texas.
Baylor University

No I would say it really doesn't matter what her education is if her thinking is still faulty.
Showing 496-510 of 811