ForumsThe TavernThe Art Of Trolling

24 5015
leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

Hello. I am looking for how most users think of trolling. This is a very long opinion so short opinion is at the bottom.

Being a troll myself on websites that allow it I may have a biased opinion of it but I will say what I think.

Long opinion below

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I think trolling was designed to be funny when it was first thought of. Nowadays anyone can qualify to be a troll. People seem to think that if they can't fit in being serious they must be a troll. This leads to people who simply think trolling is making people angry and posting "U mad bro?" with a troll face. Although that may technically be trolling I believe it to be a low form of trolling.

When I first started trolling (other forum) it was originally supposed to make people laugh. People could tell I wasn't being serious and that was pretty much why I didn't get banned on the forum I troll on. I never really tried to insult anyone while trolling although I admit there was a huge discussion on whether I should be banned when some new Forum Admins came in. They basically thought I was not constructive and was not needed. Eventually I got unbanned because the community were complaining.

Now I mention that because I believe that has to be a troll in every community. Someone that is funny and makes the community laugh. There was some good ones on AG but they pretty much disappeared. I personally believe that is why some veterans are losing interest in AG. There is nothing to laugh at anymore and it seems most threads are about hypothetical situations. Do you agree that trolls can bring laughter or do you just think they are idiots who think they're funny

Short opinion below

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I think that anyone can be a troll nowadays and that is why there is a negative opinion on it. I believe that funny trolls that don't insult anyone are good for communities. I believe it might be why veterans are losing interest.

Do you agree that trolls can bring laughter? Or do you just think they are idiots who think they're funny?

• 24 Replies
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

You're doing it wrong if people know you're trolling. The art is doing nothing wrong, but making people step out of line. that's when it gets fun.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I think such cookie cutter phrases as "you mad bro" serve only to piss people off, without doing anything creative or witty. You might as well say something as direct as "ATTENTION. I am trying to make you angry. I hope this comment makes you angry, because I feed off of your discontent. That is all.".

There is nothing inherently wrong about trolling. To me, its just something to do when you are bored and need something to occupy your mind. The point of trolling is to make people take something that is obviously a joke seriously. It doesn't have to make them angry or pissed off, in fact at the end I'm usually the one who looks like an idiot.

I've only ever tried something like this on AG on a large scale twice, the first time being much more successful than the last, when my computer died before I could complete the thread. Both threads definitely have their moments, when people make ridiculous (in the context that the thread is ridiculous) comments that aren't particularly self-flattering, in retrospect.

You don't? I find it hilarious when users get banned.

I have always thought it was weird that people would come to a place like AG, where even the creationist v evolution threads are relatively civil, and act in a way that merits banning. It is incredibly easy to act in a way on AG that will prevent you from getting banned, while still saying everything that is on your mind.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

You're doing it wrong if people know you're trolling. The art is doing nothing wrong, but making people step out of line. that's when it gets fun.

I will now bow to the King of the Art. *Bows* It's always fun to stalk your profile to see what happens when another guy congratulates you on being a Gold King.
invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

[quote=aknerd]I think such cookie cutter phrases as "you mad bro" serve only to piss people off, without doing anything creative or witty.[/quote]
It also gets the "You're cool" response.

[quote=skater_kid_who_pwns]You're doing it wrong if people know you're trolling. The art is doing nothing wrong, but making people step out of line. that's when it gets fun.[/quote]
We can tell that you have had plenty of experience with that kind of stuff.

[quote=nichodemus]It's always fun to stalk your profile to see what happens when another guy congratulates you on being a Gold King.[/quote]
That's what some users do; on EVERYONE'S profile. I know some specific users.

[quote=aknerd]There is nothing inherently wrong about trolling.[/quote]
THANK YOU! The thing is, trolling isn't bad. It's just that overly-sensitive people think it's bad and "causes a disruption".

leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2010/05/hatereagle.jpg

Unrelated pictures FTW.

I must say aknerd. I did read the sarcasm one and I must say it worked and all that it missed was a &quotroblem?" post. However the second one. The one on Christmas I could see that it was fake straight away.

And I believe that trolling does cause disruption in some cases invalid.

For example say you go on to a debate thread about religions and post as an athiest saying something incredibly racist. The thread will spark into a "This proves atheist have no right to live" and then you would have disrupted the thread and eventually it would have been locked.

Funny? Possibly. Disruption? Yes.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

For example say you go on to a debate thread about religions and post as an athiest saying something incredibly racist. The thread will spark into a "This proves atheist have no right to live" and then you would have disrupted the thread and eventually it would have been locked.

Funny? Possibly. Disruption? Yes.

That doesn't sound like it would be even in the same neighbourhood as funny, though.
It would probably have outed a few people for some flaming bans, but the racist stuff would probably have gotten you banned as well.

But again, whether trolling can be fun depends greatly on the overall definition of trolling. Whether it is saying something funny that questions someone else's intelligence or it is there to get an angry response or replies of shock, horror or other negative emotions.

Just because you are &quotlaying a role", like pretending to be atheist and saying something racist doesn't mean it's trolling, does it? It's the intention behind that solves it. Are you doing it to lay the devil's advocate somehow, or are you trying to get a certain response because you think people being angry about your stupidity is actually them being angry because you have outed their deepest emotions and they cant handle it, and so on.

It's like the "U mad bro?" thing. Mostly that response is just sad, because either people aren't mad, but just thinking you are an idiot hiding behind "trolling" to hide how stupid you really are, or they are mad, but not because of them being trolled, but because that is the natural reaction to someone claiming that it is perfectly fine to kill kittens with a lawnmower, and they do it every day.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

That's what some users do; on EVERYONE'S profile. I know some specific users

The main point was Skater's unique way of answering back, not the fact that some users are perpetually in a state of congratulating others.
mordecai1031
mordecai1031
156 posts
Nomad

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/trolling

For everything one needs on trolling and all interweb memes.

Ooh, almost forgot

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/091/Problem.jpg

CheapCheep
CheapCheep
240 posts
Nomad

CopperCab hates trolls.

I hate CopperCab.

Showing 16-24 of 24