ForumsWEPR[spam necro] Rich/Poor divide?

139 66043
Target_Practice
Target_Practice
27 posts
Nomad

Essentially how do the rich keep on getting richer whilst the poor keep on getting poorer. Surely in a civilised society the rich should sacrifice a few of their fast cars and big houses so that the people who slave 12 hours a day in their sweat shops can eat.

Discuss.

• 139 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It's an exaggeration to say people work 12 hours a day. On average, people work 7-8.5 hours a day. I study longer than that.

No, people have grown richer in the last sixty years. In the years immediately after WWII, the affluence of people have shot up at a maddening rate compared to what humanity has always experienced. Within a few decades, people could afford much more consumer goods than they could before, cars, fridges, TVs, holidays, they all mushroomed during the Golden Years.

The rich poor divide is certainly getting bigger, but the ''oor'', at least in America and WE, are generally NOT poor. You have the internet, phones, cars, electronic devices, and you still call yourself poor? Just because a rich man can zip around in a Ferrari and you have to be happy, [poor thing!] with a Honda, doesn't mean you're ''oor''. The real poor are those souls in Africa, India, Burma, Central Asia, who can't even feed themselves.

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

I have to disagree with you, the rich get richer because they worked for it and before they were millionaires they were most likely working their butts off at burger king, now Iâm American so we donât actually have people doing slave labor earning a dollar an hour to feed a family of 5 in a dirt floor mud house, in America most the âpoor peopleâ are not really poor they have a nice little house and a TV and furniture and food stamps all paid for with tax payer money!
And the rich donât have to help the poor itâs the right thing to do but if you make them âhelpâ then all your doing is redistribution of wealth I will explain
Target_ Practice is walking down the street he sees a hobo on the side of the street he gives him some food and some money because heâs a nice guy OR
Target _Practice is walking down the street he sees a hobo on the side of the street he doesnât want to give the hobo money then Uncle Sam jumps out of an alley beats you up steals your wallet and gives it to the hobo
Thatâs what itâs like when you make the rich give stuff up forcefully

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Essentially how do the rich keep on getting richer whilst the poor keep on getting poorer.

Also would like to clarify that it's more a phenomenon of the rich getting richer, but the ''oor'' not having the means to catch up, rather than the poor actually getting poorer. The rich poor gap increasing does not indicate that the ''oor'' are ''oorer'', but rather their wage increases are not as rapid or are plateauing.
Target_Practice
Target_Practice
27 posts
Nomad

Thanks for your comments, always nice to see your views. I was deliberately being one sided in my opening statement.

Just to clarify, I in no way consider myself poor considering I have well the internet, food and shelter. I also have no problem with people working their behinds off to make it.

A lot of the rich in my country (England) inherited it i.e (the Royal family. Whilst a lot of the poor were born into a situation where due to bad parenting and lack of resources it is impossible for the majority of them to do as well as say someone with my reasonably well off background.

How do we help those people?

Target_Practice
Target_Practice
27 posts
Nomad

Also I agree with you both that we are much better off in the western world, then some of the third world countries. But we do have a significant proportion of homeless people, too many for a developed nation.

As for the millions of people starving around the globe, you would think that if all our billionaires worked together they could significantly reduce that. But I suppose your right it would be wrong to force them.

Target_Practice
Target_Practice
27 posts
Nomad

One final thought, big companies e.g. apple rely on Chinese sweatshops to produce Ipads cheaply to make huge profits. Couldn't all big companies afford to reduce some of their profit to give fair wages to workers?

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

if you force the rich to help the poor. why would any1 try there best at work to become rich? they get what they want anyway.
so it's easyer to work just 50% knowing you will get what you want anyway.

kinda like why in the zoo you see signs saying "don't feed the animals"

Couldn't all big companies afford to reduce some of their profit to give fair wages to workers?

could they? yes they could. but how would it do them good? the company wont get beter by doing so.
companys are not humans. companys have only 1 goal and that is making profit. not only the big companys but all of them have this goal. (few exceptions left out)
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

One final thought, big companies e.g. apple rely on Chinese sweatshops to produce Ipads cheaply to make huge profits. Couldn't all big companies afford to reduce some of their profit to give fair wages to workers?

yes they could Especially apple it takes them about 69$ to make an ipad but I think there workers are well off (as in not slaves)
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

The poor become poorer because they are lazy and want to live off the government and not have to work a day in their lives. but seriously, often times, its their own fault. They got themselves into that mess, whether it was drugs, gombling, sloth, or they didn't try in school. the problem is people don't try anymore, and they say oh well, I got uncle sam supporting me . What happens when Uncle sam runs dry? Top CEO's and execs have worked their ***** off to get in the position they are. they went to college, they worked their ***** off to get the promotions, they aapplied effort. That's their reward. Why should they have to work their ***** off, then be forced to help poor people who have completely screwed themselves over?
It's acceptable to ask for help, but by no means should the rich be forced to. That's like climbing mt. Everest, and then when guy A is 90% at the top, someone tells him to go all the way back down to help derp McDerpderp because he is too lazy.

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

The poor become poorer because they are lazy and want to live off the government and not have to work a day in their lives.

but seriously, often times, its their own fault.

Im becoming astounded at the amount of people in the world that actually think this. You should be ashamed!
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

yes pyro you are totally right itâs all about work before my dad cleaned himself up he was a druggy but he cleaned himself up and now he is the CIO of the Florida board of governors

and no AnaLoGMunKy we should not be ashamed

Target_Practice
Target_Practice
27 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry but I just don't think it's down to lazyness, my Grandad fought in the war and then worked 10 hours a day 7 days a week back home. He came from a poor background couldn't afford to go to university but after all that hard work he only just scraped by. I think that's the case with the majority of people.

It's very easy to say they should have worked harder, but unless you're exceptionally naturally talented it's very hard to get anywhere starting from nowhere.

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

Well I believe you would be if you looked into the reality of many peoples lives.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

yes you should be. and if your not, you should grow up and see how reality realy is.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Yes you should. You're making a generalization out of a few individuals. 'course some people are lazy, 'course many people are rich because they worked hard. But when I compare the number of people I know who work their ***** off just to live, in contrary to all those traders who earn themselves golden balls simply by creating huge speculative bubbles from their desktop while the regular people live the consequences, I can only say that statements like yours, while not being 100%, are still completely escapist.

And it's not because the rich companies aid the economy that they should be allowed to do anything and gain even more money. We might not have as many people in misery than other countries, but that doesn't justify the differences in income we see in some cases.
Showing 1-15 of 139