ForumsProgramming ForumProgramming Class

89 33004
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Would anyone be interested in short programming class that I or anyone competent in programming would teach? It would be a small class with some readings and assignments. I know most of you are busy as so am I so it wouldn't be like University level. But it would be an introduction nerveless maybe a much needed push for some people to start with programming or those who need some structure.

I could teach Actionscript 3, Python or Java (I'm the most proficient with this language). I know some other languages but I doubt anyone wants to learn something as abstract and mathematical as Haskell or as low level as Assembly.

This is just a post to see how many people are interested and in what language.

• 89 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

This would....be over the Net right?

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Of course it will be purely over the internet.

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I am very interested, and preference of language would be whatever you feel is easiest to teach.

chuvas1n
chuvas1n
1 posts
Nomad

can you teach me? i am intrested

manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

to be honest, Assembly is the one that sounds most interesting to me. hehe

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

To tell you the truth assembly was amusing but not very useful. It's easy to learn but muddling about in the registers and storing values get boring after a while. At the end of the day you don't even get anything that you wouldn't be able to do in like 30 seconds in a high level language.

manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

how hard was Python as I've heard it's a good lanuage to do before going into C++?

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

It's pretty easy if you know java or actionscript 3 then there is no point learning python before going to C++ unless you just wanted to learn another easier language.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Right....there have to be more willing people right?

Homework
Homework
17 posts
Nomad

Awesome I lick computers and their commpanies. Can you teach me more. But maybe I might be busy...

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Awesome I lick computers and their commpanies

That is... kind of weird ._.

How do they taste?
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

How do they taste?

Probably like a black hole for money.

I've also been thinking of writing an intro programming forum post for the new AG since nothing in the forums in going to be kept so a fresh sticky on programming that is detailed and throughout might be good idea instead of the class. What do you guys think?
manny6574
manny6574
922 posts
Nomad

Very good idea! Some posts that are currently up now, are a bit out of date as well. I was thinking about doing an update.

CaukasianNinja
CaukasianNinja
4 posts
Peasant

I would be iterested, but cannot necessarily commit unless there is no urgent time schedule.

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

Hey Darkroot, I'd be interested in a class/helping you brainstorm some programming basics for a sticky. Python is the only language I know currently (excepting some BASIC), but I am always up for learning new tricks.

Showing 1-15 of 89