ForumsThe TavernNostalgia

63 23397
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I found this site last year.
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html
I used to be a big Radio Shack customer back in the middle 80's all the way to 1994.
I bought Speakers, a tape player, some expensive (at the time) headphones The Optimus Pro 70(I still use them), an equalizer, a couple electronic kits, resistors, batteries packs, antennas, etc.
On the site, you can actually flip the pages of the catalogs.
I spent at least 3 hours one evening just looking at them.
It's amazing to be able to see the changes in technology over the decades from 1940 to 2000.

It brings back lots of good memories to me.
Anyway post your nostalgic memories here. Share the links if they exists so that we can see them.

• 63 Replies
DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

I miss VCRs

You must also miss rewinding. If that's true, you're one of a kind. I love my DVD player and until I come across technology that's easier to use I'm sticking with it.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I miss VCRs

I don't! I have a DVR and for me it's the best toy I ever had after my computer and HD PVR.
I still have a VCR though. I used it to record music and I have a few VHS full of music and songs. I digitized them all but I kept them as a back up.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Come on people, don't you have some old memories that make you feel nostalgic? It can be music, TV shows, toys, vacations, friends, GF, pets, etc, anything.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

TV shows

Actually, thanks to the wonderful new invention known as the DVD player, I can watch all the Scooby Doo episodes I want* without having to wait for them to run on TV.

That detail is a figure of speech; it isn't even remotely true. Since there are a limited number of episodes out there, I can't watch all of the Scooby Doo episodes I want because a lot of them don't even exist.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I wish I was old enough to go visit the Montreal Expo 67 (World Fair) in 1967.
I wasn't even born but I heard about it and saw pictures and videos.
Why wasn't I there? That's not fair (no pun intended)! I'm frustrated when I think about it. >:O

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

You know, before the computer found me, I was actually living a pretty good life...

I had a lot of friends in primary school, and there wasn't such a thing as stress back then...
I really enjoyed reading novels in my spare time, I remember when I finished a 500 page one in one day...

Those were the days...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I miss watching Pokemon first gen on Saturday mornings and eating pancakes. After an hour of studying though.

Miss reading old texts too...

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I miss being up before dawn, watching those great well drawn cartoons with a nice story or plot together with my sister and us raiding the fridge for anything eadible!

I also miss the huge CD stores that use to be in nearby towns, where you could literally spend a whole day sifting through miles and miles of CD's on end! Is a CD to be considered a nostalgic item already? =/

I also miss those (now) funny oldskool telephones with that big disc to dail your number with and then hear the 'rrrrrrrr' when it turns back to 0 again... =)

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I really enjoyed reading novels in my spare time, I remember when I finished a 500 page one in one day...

Believe it or not, even though I read e-books, I still read physical books as well. Today I'm about to start reading Dutch Shipbuilding before 1800 by Richard W. Unger. I just finished The Evolution of the Wooden Ship by Basil Greenhill.
I miss my 1000 book collection (sold 99%) in 2 big bookshelves and my 3000 or so vinyls (also 90% sold).
Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

Whatever happened to Hey Arnold? That was the greatest cartoon ever made.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I don't really remember my dreams anymore. I remember when I used to have dreams I remembered all the time. Now I almost hope to even have a nightmare. Not a really scary one. One of those mildly scary nightmares.

skydragon720
skydragon720
343 posts
Nomad

when i used to suck on the mustard bottle.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Whatever happened to Hey Arnold? That was the greatest cartoon ever made.

I love that show! You can still watch it on Netflix. =)
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Ahhhh... nice. A thread about Nostalgia. That feel of "back in the ol' days". Love it.

I'm not that old... so stuffs I recall are quite recent.

I miss the days when responsibility was something from the future... I could play all day and had nothing to do by obligation;
I miss my Elementary school, once I lived in front of it. Now I have to take a 40 minute bus travel to reach school;
I miss the days when I could play hide'n'seek with my grandpa. Now I don't even fit on the hiding spots;
I miss waking up early on Sundays only to watch "The Simpsons" - yes, we only had it on that time schedule by then. Or on weekdays to watch "Thomas the Train Engine" - not sure if it's written this way -, "Spongebob", "Fairly OddParents" - when they were funny - and many other shows;
I miss playing "Crash: BASH", "Metal Slug", "Tekken 3" and "Grand Turismo 1" on my PS1 (PSX)|"Swords and Sandals" and "Fast Burger" on flash sites|"Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear", "Test Driver 5" and "Test Driver 6" on my old PC;
I miss the times my mom would make me toast with faces drawn with ketchup! and...
I miss when I was active at ArmorGames, when the forums were better and when there were mods all over the place.

Ah, the beauty of Nostalgia...

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I miss when I was active at ArmorGames, when the forums were better and when there were mods all over the place.

You can help make them better by being active, all of us can! Giving up isn't going to solve anything!
Showing 31-45 of 63