ForumsThe TavernNoise That You Cannot Stand

94 13301
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

There are some noises out there that just drive you crazy when you here them. What are they?

For me it is the sound of someone sharpening knives. It drives me insane.

• 94 Replies
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

mine is an age old one. fingernails on a blackboard. makes me want to puke. *sharpens knife with a scccchhhwwiiinng sound*

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

The sound of something metal falling onto a hard floor, such as pots and pans or cutlery.

Epic563
Epic563
166 posts
Nomad

A pan actually fell on the floor of our house like 30 minutes ago. I can't stand bullet sounds. Even in video games it sounds uncomfortable. Not the fact that I'm being shot, but the sound it makes. Whenever I go to a Memorial Day service, and the soldiers shoot the blanks, I think my heart like dies. I don't flinch or anything, but it's sooooooo loud.

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

You know the sound of styrofoam on cardboard or another piece of styrofoam?
It just sends chills down my spine.

masterperson
masterperson
107 posts
Nomad

trying to erase with the back of a pencil, but there is no rubbery part

metal part scratches on the paper

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

For me it is the sound of someone sharpening knives. It drives me insane.

Really? I love that sound. It's beautifully primal.

I hate the light ringing of old analog tube TVs. It drives me nuts, and what's worse is it's not very loud, but you can hear it from dozens of feet away.
theawesomnator
theawesomnator
56 posts
Nomad

The Annoying Song!

Daizidawizard9000
Daizidawizard9000
1,609 posts
Nomad

The Annoying Song!

That is not a noise, it is a sound which consists of sounds.

For me it's either a baby crying or someone sharpening a sword/knife with a stone.

The baby it just makes me want to cuddle it even if it has some strange disease.

The knife, it's like a saw-blade next to my ear. It just sounds uncomfortable. It sounds almost like nails on a chalkboard.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

If there's one noise in the world that I can't stand, it's the buzzing of a mosquito at night. Partly because it's just plain obnoxious and partly because I know what follows it when I wake up the next morning.

I keep my bedroom window closed even on days that are hot as hell just so the mosquitoes can't get in.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Rap, fluorescent lights, spoiled kids whining, the vacuum and when people scrape their plates. Top 5.

I keep my bedroom window closed even on days that are hot as hell just so the mosquitoes can't get in.

Don't you have a window screen?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Don't you have a window screen?

Still haven't gotten around to installing one. Since the windows in my bedroom that open open outward, from what I know about windows, I'd have to put the screen on the inside, which would mean I'd also have to put in some sort of frame as well as a device to open the window from the other side of the screen.

Time and money. I'm fine with just keeping my windows shut for the time being.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I can't stand that beeping noise from electroics that are turned off, I can't stand the sound of crunching ice (not so much now. It used to be unbearable for me before), sometimes, I just can't stand the sound of people talking. Especially when they're not supposed to.

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

My computer used to make an annoying noise well you slanted it and you were running a disk.

It sounds like a cross between a Blackboard having fingernails ran down and a knife being sharpened.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Someone talking very loudly on their cell phone in a small store, repeating themselves often due to the poor signal quality indoors.

keeton52
keeton52
928 posts
Nomad

I have the same problem, jeol. Really sucks...

Showing 1-15 of 94