ForumsThe TavernWhat the heck is wrong with pineapples

52 6572
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Why r pineapples so sharp y r they called pineapples what does an apple have to do with it?

• 52 Replies
acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

I learned that it is nor an apple or pine, but in fact a large berry.

Yeah, I didn't understand either...

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Pineapples are probably sharp because it was a good way to stop animals that eat it from eating it. Evolution and survival of the fittest, you know.

As for the name, um.... AH!

Wiki:

named for resemblance to the pine cone,

That's... strange.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Wiki further down the article:

The word &quotineapple" in English was first recorded in 1398, when it was originally used to describe the reproductive organs of conifer trees (now termed pine cones). The term &quotine cone" for the reproductive organ of conifer trees was first recorded in 1694. When European explorers discovered this tropical fruit, they called them &quotineapples" (first so referenced in 1664 due to resemblance to what is now known as the pine cone).

As for the fruit/berry thing, it simply depends on the arrangement of the single fruit.
From the articles below:
"The botanical definition of a berry is a fleshy fruit produced from a single ovary. [...]. The seeds are usually embedded in the flesh of the ovary. "
And since the pineapple fruit is not a single fruit but a cluster of fruits...
"Multiple fruits are fruits that are formed from a cluster of flowers (called an inflorescence). Each flower in the inflorescence produces a fruit, but these mature into a single mass."
... it's a sort of multiple berry.

- multiple fruit
- berry
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Pinecone + Apple = Pineapple

Actually this is chronologically wrong since (see the quote in my previous post) the term pineapple was recorded three centuries before the term pinecone. Pineapple back then was used for the pinecone ('apple' probably simply meant 'fruit', like, 'the apple/fruit of the pine tree', which was named so only later. The tropical pineapple got named after the pine pineapple (pinecone).

Not as if anyone would care, but eh...
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

@R2D21999: What's wrong with a pineapple

1) being sharp?
2) being called a pineapple?
3) floating?

y dont they sink like good little rocks

Pineapples are not rocks, so it is not wrong for them to float.
BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

Pineapples be trippin

1zth
1zth
192 posts
Nomad

Pineapples be trippin

What?
JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

plus it stings when you put your wiener in one.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Pineapples are not rocks, so it is not wrong for them to float.

i never said it was a rock i said why doesnt it sink like a rock

plus it stings when you put your wiener in one.

and i believe u tried it?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

i never said it was a rock i said why doesnt it sink like a rock

Q: Why doesn't it sink like a rock?

A1: Because it isn't a rock.

A2: Because it's a fruit, filled with fruit pulp, surrounded by cellulose structures, so that the fruit has a density much smaller than water, which is the physical reason why they do not sink.

Q: What is your obsession with pineapple?
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

What's wrong with pineapples?
They are just pure evil. Once they learn how to use their abilities they will conquer the world. And the government is helping them.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

well the pineapple is an alien fruit. the aliens are making the pineapples help the government. in return the government will give back the roswell spacecraft

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

lol another things is americans and pineapples. everyone else around the globe calls it ananas or something close to that. then U.S calls it pineapple......

victor520
victor520
39 posts
Peasant

Yeah, I know for sure that in German it's called something like ananas. Also did you know pineapples can float in water and doesn't sink?

Showing 1-15 of 52