Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Louisiana Petitions To Secede

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 10:44pm

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

Let's stop dancing around the point then, because this is getting nowhere.

On this thread the discussion is now approaching "what does it mean to be patriotic?" It's time for every participant in that discussion to state what they believe it means to "be American".

Posted Nov 17, '12 at 11:22pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,064 posts

Knight

On this thread the discussion is now approaching "what does it mean to be patriotic?" It's time for every participant in that discussion to state what they believe it means to "be American".

That's a little hard for me to answer since I'm a Canadian living in the US.

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 2:42am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

In my opinion, to be patriotic is to love and be loyal to your country no matter what. If you don't like something that is going on, then you don't like it...but you still love your country. In my eyes...if you can't handle 4 years of a president you don't like...then you aren't that patriotic. A true patriot, in my opinion, would be more "yeah...I don't like Obama..but I love America, and I know we will get out of the mess we are in..and I will stick by America's side no matter what"

Take the people in France during the French Revolution (to give an understanding for the connection here...they didn't like what was going on at the time and wanted change..yeah I know it isn't a strong connection..but a connection nonetheless), for example...those apart of the Revolution....we don't call them "Patriots" for what they did, we call them Revolutionists.

And then to those that seceded from the U.S. (Civil War time)...we don't call them "Patriots" either (aha...here we go...a much stronger connection for comparison)...I don't ever hear anyone say something along the lines of "Those Confederates were true Patriots...they didn't like what was going on in their country...so they fled it. Mhm...true Patriots"

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 8:41am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

That's a little hard for me to answer since I'm a Canadian living in the US.

It would be difficult, yes, but you could provide an alternative perspective then! It'd still count, given the US's still central position in the world politic.

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 9:14am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

"what does it mean to be patriotic?"

i once asked here what the difference is between patriotic and nationalistic.
and it turned out that patriotic was being proud of your own country but knowing your not the best. and nationalistic was being proud of your country and think it is better then anyone els.

i thought it was funny. seeing the americans that shout they are real patriotic americans are actually nationalists. the same kind usa was fighting against in the past. xD

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 10:29pm

SSTG

SSTG

11,064 posts

Knight

It would be difficult, yes, but you could provide an alternative perspective then! It'd still count, given the US's still central position in the world politic.

Well here's a story.
Back in Canada (early 90's) there was a Referendum about Quebec people separating from Canadians. Most of my family voted yes
and I voted no because I thought Canada was a great country and I think it still is.
Am I unpatriotic to Quebec because I'm patriotic to Canada?

Posted Nov 18, '12 at 11:45pm

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

I should be more specific I suppose. When I was posing the question about patriotism (and I'll extend that to nationalism because the terms are distinct, as partydevil pointed out), I meant specifically applied to this context of severe discontent at the political state.

Am I unpatriotic to Quebec because I'm patriotic to Canada?

It is possible, often likely that where countries have mutually exclusive interests you will be asked to make a decision as to where your loyalties lie. In your case it's not necessarily that simple, and I guess aside from those who directly know you, only you can assess your own feelings.

I just wonder whether "in the best interests of" is a phrase that should enter this discussion.

Posted Nov 19, '12 at 2:47pm

EnigmaX

EnigmaX

100 posts

I just wonder whether "in the best interests of" is a phrase that should enter this discussion

I think you just opened up a can of worms.

The issue I have with the whole Patriotism/Nationalism is that the same person with the same ideals can be both depending on who you ask. An Englishman might consider himself a patriot but an Austrian might consider the same Englishman a radical nationalist for his beliefs because he himself holds contrary beliefs. It really isn't as black and white as one would hold it out to be.

Posted Nov 19, '12 at 10:30pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,239 posts

You know, some of the petitions are just down right ridiculous.

example, and this, and this

another anti-obama one I think my dad would sign is here.

not sure about this one

and this gem at the end

While browsing through the petitions, I found several duplicates, I think they should do something about that.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Nov 20, '12 at 10:59pm

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

I think you just opened up a can of worms.

Well that's the idea! Doesn't this eventually boil down to at least some of the factors that influence the culture of a country? For example the sweeping xenophobic nationalism that's taking hold of several European states, particularly in the light of increasing refugees from neighboring continents/countries? People were earlier discussing the issue but hadn't yet explored the real nitty gritty of it.

Reply to Louisiana Petitions To Secede

You must be logged in to post a reply!