ForumsThe TavernTo be the other gender?

133 24811
Superior101
Superior101
74 posts
Peasant

Which gender would you prefer to be? List your pros and cons or whatever reasons you may have for liking that gender. Please try not to be sexist or make rude remarks about another gender. Personally, I would prefer to be a boy (and I am) because I just like it better and couldn't imagine myself as a girl.

• 133 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Well..we technically were though.

Some of us still are, too =p

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Pang, what the heck? You've been a user for years and have 5000 posts. Why start necroing threads now.

Also no one should ever sleep and instead stay up and talk to me always.

thefoundlink
thefoundlink
1 posts
Nomad

on the topic of the first post, i love being a guy, though thats because i havent been a woamn, in modern society though, women and men are much alike, or at least wed like them to be in most countries, i suppose id like to be a girl to see why it is that the love of my life chose an idiot with no personality over me though, otherwise, differences are mainly skin deep, except for a few fundamental biological alterations to one or the other

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

See, I'm a girl. I don't care about people being gentlemanly or whatever, either you hold the door or you don't, and it's not like I can't open a door. Unless it's a 10-inch wide door made of lead.

Well. I wouldn't want to be a girl as they always care about there appearance and all that...

First, I don't care about my appearance. As long as I'm wearing clothes that fit and my hair isn't looking like it's been electrified, I've got no opinion.
I'd much rather be a boy anyway. Because I really don't understand the members of the female species that are all into makeup and I don't even know what they talk about anyway. That's what I have my friends for, though, because none of them are airheads. Also it's easier to talk to boys. And girls, in some cultures, are supposed to be subservient to men, and if I ever have to go to a place like that, I'd get extremely irritated.
I mean the only reason I wouldn't want to be a boy is that you're all really, really hairy. And you all have the capacity to be so annoying I could pull my eyes out. (I mean, so does everyone, but boys use that all the time.)
End...rant-comment thing.
Superior101
Superior101
74 posts
Peasant

Wow, this thread is still alive... SWEET!!!
Being a girl would be cool, like for a day or so I guess, lol

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I mean the only reason I wouldn't want to be a boy is that you're all really, really hairy.

Being hairy has its upsides. If you have a mustache, for example, you can eat peanut butter and save some for later. And when I had a beard, I could completely conceal a toothpick, not to mention cover up top secret acne. Facial hair can be quite useful.

Arm hair is also a wonderful tool to have on hand (no pun intended). Not only does it make your skin look 3x darker, but it can also come in handy when out in the hot sun. And my arms are so furry, it's like having my own pet cats right there next to me all the time, except I don't have to feed them or let them out of the house.

And leg hair. Ohhh I don't know what I would do without leg hair. It's like I always have a pair of thin, warm pants on. No more cold winters for me! Who needs pajama bottoms anyway? Oh, that's right, girls do, because they don't have them built-in.

The downside to having all this hair is that you come out looking a little like every character in Dr Seuss's Sleep Book, but you see why none of them don't feel the need to wear pajamas either.
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Being a woman would be too much of a hassle, really. Everyday, they always go through maintenance you could say. Even if you're like Storm and don't care about appearances, all of a sudden life tells you that you're bleeding from your crotch (periods).

Also, woman get paid lower wages than men of the same job and are often objectified, which I strongly hate about today's society. Also, most are stereotypically weak and must always be saved or helped by a man, and will always be put down and underestimated because of that.

Nope, I wouldn't want to be the other gender. In fact, I feel bad for females everywhere that they have to put up with this inequality.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Also, woman get paid lower wages than men of the same job and are often objectified, which I strongly hate about today's society. Also, most are stereotypically weak and must always be saved or helped by a man, and will always be put down and underestimated because of that.
Hi Riptizoid (should I call you Rip?). I'm Xzeno. I feel like we're going to get along.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I'm Xzeno. I feel like we're going to get along.

Great..

Anyways, I would be interested in the biology/psychology aspect of it. A woman becoming a man (assuming that this transformation would make someone into the other gender as if they had been born that way) would be very interesting to see what differences there are. It would be a much better way of assessing than subjective interpretations which really lead us nowhere.

There's also the aspect of being exposed to how opposite genders interact, except being on the other side. Women treat other women differently than they treat men, and men do the same with other men. Yet, it's hard to personally experience that if you're not that 'other man' or 'other woman.'
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

A woman becoming a man (assuming that this transformation would make someone into the other gender as if they had been born that way) would be very interesting to see what differences there are.

Do you mean it would be interesting the observe person from birth with the same personality/brain but as a different gender, or with a person that switches genders whilst retaining full knowledge of their previous gender's experiences, which would be akin to surgery to become the other gender, only this time it would be a genuine gender swap?

The results acquired can be different depending on how this is handled. If the person's basic genetic code was there, yet it was somehow like a "clean slate" and they were raised from birth again, or if the memories/knowledge was simply transferred to a different gender, causing interactions with people to be similar to how they were in their previous gender.

Though, in this thread, the question mostly talks about the latter, in which case, the results can be very similar to how people would react after having surgery for a gender change. It is, in fact, very observable in the world.
If one were to retain knowledge of their past life but simply transfer into a genuine body of the opposite gender, results would most likely be the same.

However, I'm not 100% certain on this, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Do you mean it would be interesting the observe person from birth with the same personality/brain but as a different gender, or with a person that switches genders whilst retaining full knowledge of their previous gender's experiences, which would be akin to surgery to become the other gender, only this time it would be a genuine gender swap?

I meant the second, but the first would be interesting as well. And most of what you said is true, except in a gender swap, there are biological components and genetic components that are still "male" or "female" depending on which gender swapped. A female who gets a sex change doesn't suddenly have a y chromosome or a smaller corpus callosum, for instance. Their genitals have just been artificially changed.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

A Y chromosome is not sufficient for not being female, despite your efforts to simplify the matter. You'd know that if you read a book, but I know how against reading you are.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I don't think I would mind it. I would adapt to my new lifestyle, just as anyone would. That's what humans do: they adapt, right?

You'd know that if you read a book

Pretty sure reading any book won't teach you that.
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

I don't think I would mind it. I would adapt to my new lifestyle, just as anyone would. That's what humans do: they adapt, right?

Would you hold feelings toward the opposite gender then? Say you were a male becoming a female, would you eventually "adapt" to hold romantic feelings toward males? Or, would you just be a female but would still have affection towards other females?

Adapting to a new lifestyle is an understatement. People will look at you in different light. Today's society finds things that would be acceptable if done as a male, but deem it a taboo if done as a female, and vice-versa.

Are you sure you're not going to mind it? You practically have to change your whole outlook on life, otherwise, society may find you unacceptable for some reason. That's the reason why many people change genders in the first place, after all. There's no way you can adapt to every miniscule detail if you were to gender swap.

So, saying you would just "adapt to your new lifestyle" is pretty inaccurate. More like, struggle with it?
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

A Y chromosome is not sufficient for not being female, despite your efforts to simplify the matter.

You speak of exceptions, which I am aware of. I was also aware you were going to come and try to pick apart every little thing I said, because that's what you always do. I'm not going to bother to list every genetic exception, perception of gender roles in society, ideas and concepts that exist, because this is a general topic and we're just talking about general things.

but I know how against reading you are.

Thanks, that was so necessary to include.

Say you were a male becoming a female, would you eventually "adapt" to hold romantic feelings toward males?

Assuming we're saying that romantic feelings involve sexual feelings as well, then I would think not. An external change only would not change preferences.
Showing 106-120 of 133